• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Feedback on Studding outside

snowdust

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
There was much debate on studding the outside windows in the track when the season started. Looking to see if anyone had any issues that did it. The old school thought is easier/more tearouts, but it seems like the only time a real story comes up it was "back in the day". I'm considering it for my winder and am looking to see if anyone has had issues on a current sled.

No issues on my last 3 sleds.

If you want any type of good hook up it has to be done. No issues here on the last 3 or 4 sleds that total about 13,000 miles. I run 4 per bar with every other bar with them on the outside. 1/2" to 5/8" penetration. Hooks hard. I run them dangerously close to edge of track also to get the most stagger with the backer almost to the outside or inside edge.

Only a couple hundred miles,but sled is 270 hp so a lot more stress,and mine are 4 per bar for 192 but they are only 1.456 height. All good so far.

Only a couple hundred miles,but sled is 270 hp so a lot more stress,and mine are 4 per bar for 192 but they are only 1.456 height. All good so far.
Snowbeast - That is what I am considering. How is the hook up and what studs?

Last edited:
192 woodys megabites 1.450 length on my LTX LE. 1500 miles of aggressive trail riding running 250+hp. Zero issues. Big thing is having some form of a 4th wheel kit on the rear axle

Those are one ply studs and backer plates,i bought them from kevin at Port Yamaha,they were priced very good,and kevin sells a lot of sleds and SW,ers and he has never had one problem with them,i will have to get you my info on them,but so far they are working fine. They are 80 degree tips so not as sharp as some,but I put them on for durability reasons and not drag racing. The extra large backer plates is what I love about them,as well as the size of the bottom of the stud,plenty of support,i just staggered them in the middle of track not outside,but 4 per bar,works ok,if stock hp,i don't want to hook my sled up to hard,sense it is 270 hp and the spin out of the corner has this beast just railing thru the twisties.

192 woodys megabites 1.450 length on my LTX LE. 1500 miles of aggressive trail riding running 250+hp. Zero issues. Big thing is having some form of a 4th wheel kit on the rear axle
Agree,thats why I have TD 8.4 on my sled,its 270 hp.

Here ya go bro,Exstreme Max studs,the head is 1.160" mine are Fat head,exstreme max studs, 1.465 height,nice thing the head being extra big and is there exstreeme round head backer 13/8 dia. also get the extra tall nuts,much better stability with them. You can get these from Richie rich or port Yamaha,both sponsors on this site.

Extreme max studs don't have a lip for the backer to botTom out on like most studs do. Seems like it could be a problem if torqued to much. Check is out. Other than that They look goof and cheap.

I have run Extreme Max for years with NO issues. On my Apex I had the on outside without issues for more than 10,000 miles

At hay days they often were a dollar per stud with round backer and nut.

I have run Extreme Max for years with NO issues. On my Apex I had the on outside without issues for more than 10,000 miles

At hay days they often were a dollar per stud with round backer and nut.
That makes me feel good yamadoo,i thought when I studded it with them,they loked really good.

Extreme max studs don't have a lip for the backer to botTom out on like most studs do. Seems like it could be a problem if torqued to much. Check is out. Other than that They look goof and cheap.
Yes,i was very careful when I studded mine because of that reason too,the cat/Yamaha quiet track on my 137 has those square raised places,that actually helped it when I did suck them down,so if you take your time,dont over torque them,you should be good to go.

192 extreme max here with zero issues. I like their thinner head because they tuck into the pads molded in the track better.

Back