• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Finally getting it cleaned up

MyOutdoors

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder Ltx Se
I'm finally getting her back together! I lucked out and met a guy who locally owns his own shop and does vapor blasting and cerakoting. Big difference from when I started with all the salt corrosion. Basically bomb proofing her with a plethora of BOP.

Attachments

• cerakote1.JPG
    cerakote1.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 79
  • cerakote2.JPG
    cerakote2.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 78
  • cerakote3.JPG
    cerakote3.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 80
  • cerakote4.JPG
    cerakote4.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 79
  • oxidize1.jpg
    oxidize1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 76
  • oxidize2.jpg
    oxidize2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 80
  • oxidize3.jpg
    oxidize3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 79

OMG, you did yourself a huge dis-service coating the oil tank and intercooler. you just insulated parts that should dissipate heat. Never ever want to coat the intercooler for certain.

OMG, you did yourself a huge dis-service coating the oil tank and intercooler. you just insulated parts that should dissipate heat. Never ever want to coat the intercooler for certain.
I was worried about that but after looking into Cerakote, I went for it. I plan on checking temps compared to stock. Worst case scenario is I'll have it all vapor blasted and leave it. Brian from MotoTech is the go to guy for YZ motors and has been using cerakote on just about everything...motors ,cases, radiators, air cooled motors, etc. This isnt ceramic or powder coating. It's a 1mil coat.

Is Cerakoat not ceramic?

Ceramic is an insulator. Just saying. I wont even paint an intercooler with a thin spray. The mfgrs of the good intercoolers even tell you not to paint them.

Definitely not ceramic...this coating is no thicker that the original stock black. It can be used where tight tolerances are needed.

Definitely not ceramic...this coating is no thicker that the original stock black. It can be used where tight tolerances are needed.

Definitely Ceramic, it says so right in the link. Ceramic is an insulator, it is also very hard which is why you can get away with a thin coat. It has many good properties, convection is not one of them.

Cerakote is a brand name, and anyone referencing Cerakote is talking about the same thing so just google Cerakote and insulation and you will run across links like this.

Or Cerakote and Ceramic

It is ideal for surfaces that are inert and not active (like your handlebars) but on an intercooler it is exactly the opposite of what you want.

It does have ceramic as part of a composite. If I see temps above normal, I'll pull it and vapor blast it...or get a new one. This coated one was pretty corroded from the previous owner and figured it was worth a shot.

Cerakote does make a heat dissipating coat I see now in either black or grey?

The arctic black is what you want, it is a thermoset (polymer) resin coating, no ceramics.

Back