• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Flash Update Coming Fall-2016

I have a late 16 model or as some say 16.5. I have not had a problem with starts or anything.
Maybe the sled all ready had the new flash?
I have 3500 miles on sled.
Thats the rumor only supported by different ECU part# and no complaints of any issues from the 16.5 models. So answer now is Maybe!

I have a late 16. No starter issues yet although I haven't logged much time on it. Kinda idles like crap though sometimes

Question for me is , is it worth getting the updated flash? My sled has had zero start issues for 3000 miles.
Maybe you have it already. Till they release it we wont know and even then they could have all sleds "accept" a new flash.

Once the whole TY group hears the Sidewinder at idle and startup I am going to be sure and poll them to see if they think its smoother and better startup than the Viper. The one I heard at Lake Geneva was in my opinion. No reason the Viper should not be same.

If it starts and idles like the Vector with Mitsubishi electronic, it will be a whole different animal. My 16 Vector LE starts instantaneously, and is super smooth. Nothing like the Cat ECU. I think the Yamaha (Mitsubishi) electronics will make all the difference.

If it starts and idles like the Vector with Mitsubishi electronic, it will be a whole different animal. My 16 Vector LE starts instantaneously, and is super smooth. Nothing like the Cat ECU. I think the Yamaha (Mitsubishi) electronics will make all the difference.
I agree now just have to get Viper like that Sidewinder and Vector.

Hopefully it's a recall but I highly doubt it....it should be right from the start. I get it, first second and third year they are still working out the bugs. But if there's a consistent problem then the consumer shouldn't have to pay for an "update". We will see come fall...

My sled only gives me troubles starting in really cold temps -25/-35. Other than that, it's always started...just takes a few cranks. I hate worrying about whether or not the sled will start for the first time of the day. The rest of the day it always starts with no issues easily. Just the really cold temps (-25 to -35) in the morning is where mine acts up...

I am confused now. I have a 2015 have never had start or idle issues, built in fall 2015 think august. Can anyone write out the problem and "good" build dates or #s. Yamadoo

I am confused now. I have a 2015 have never had start or idle issues, built in fall 2015 think august. Can anyone write out the problem and "good" build dates or #s. Yamadoo
All of them up till the 16's have reported starter failures along with the gear the starter engages. There is a poll somewhere among those in the poll with failures and taking time to vote here it was 8% last I saw. I have not heard of any 16 failures. I do not count stuck solenoids,burnt starters or magnets falling off starters in this but others might. Many believe the reported "Kickback" or "missfire' on startup as the cause. I believe it contributes to it but the system is weak and vulnerable including a over hardened intermediate gear,weak starter mounting and nose,High Voltage drop while cranking and even the way the Viper is wired allowing a voltage loss to ECU while cranking along with no starter clutch as a safety. That said odds are good it wont happen to you. Just really bad if it does and now after seeing picture engine has to be removed and partially disassembled to do repair right. For now best advice has been to keep battery in tip top shape and many including me hold the key in start position for a few seconds after it fires to ensure it is running and wont roll back or stop.

My 2014 had the hot start issue and low idle, reflash fixed those issues but does not idle as well as my son's 2015 starter does kick back at times.I always hold key in start position until I am sure it is running.I can feel when it kicks back, sounds like it almost stops cranking at times.The 2015 does it the odd time, but it is not as bad, the throttle response seems better as well.The starter has survived for 9200 kms, hope the reflash fixes this problem for next owner, trading in for Sidewinder LTX LE

All of them up till the 16's have reported starter failures along with the gear the starter engages. There is a poll somewhere among those in the poll with failures and taking time to vote here it was 8% last I saw. I have not heard of any 16 failures. I do not count stuck solenoids,burnt starters or magnets falling off starters in this but others might. Many believe the reported "Kickback" or "missfire' on startup as the cause. I believe it contributes to it but the system is weak and vulnerable including a over hardened intermediate gear,weak starter mounting and nose,High Voltage drop while cranking and even the way the Viper is wired allowing a voltage loss to ECU while cranking along with no starter clutch as a safety. That said odds are good it wont happen to you. Just really bad if it does and now after seeing picture engine has to be removed and partially disassembled to do repair right. For now best advice has been to keep battery in tip top shape and many including me hold the key in start position for a few seconds after it fires to ensure it is running and wont roll back or stop.
I have not had any of the issues with starters or kick back that most have reported. I did notice however that the battery is located at the rear of the sled and the low voltage reported by some could be as simple as a voltage drop condition caused by the size and length of the cable between the battery and the engine. The cold conditions in which starting problems occur caused by a voltage drop would be consistent with many if not all of the symptoms reported. I have seen the voltage drop below the required starting voltage only after the starter is engaged, and continue to drop as the starer struggles to turn the engine over. When the key is released the voltage returns to normal with or with out the engine running. The use of a booster eliminates the low voltage condition at extreme cold starts and allows the engine to crank and the ECU to receive the correct voltage for ignition.

I do have an electrical background, it is only an observation and my simple opinion.

Back