• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Full size add on idler wheels!

blueironranger

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper XTX
2009 Phazer MTX
Here is how I added extra Idler wheels on my MTX to combat slider wear.

Here Parts List:
8ES-47310-00-00 SUSPENSION WHEEL ASSY
8ES-47419-00-00 BRACKET 7 ( This is the stand-off that Idler mounts on)
90214-10003-00 WASHER, CLAW ( Backup plate style washer )
95812-10080-00 BOLT, FLANGE ( 10mm x 80-85mm length bolt )
95602-10200-00 NUT, U FLANGE ( 10mm Nut )
90201-10038-00 WASHER, PLATE

I ordered my Parts from Port Yamaha as they had all the parts in stock, There may be cheaper places but most had a few of these parts on backorder and I chose to support a TY sponser, it was only a few bucks difference anyhow. You can probably source the Bolt, Nut, Washer ad a local hardware store if you chose and save about 5-10$ so I listed there sizes for you. It was ~115$ + 15$ shipping.

For Tools I used a Cordless drill with a 13/32 drill bit (3/8 was just a touch to small and a 25/64 would probibly work also), Vice grips, and a pair of 15mm wrenches (or what ever size you need for the bolts you source)

First, a Picture of all the parts

4293962660_faca56e564.jpg

Next, the location of the new idler on the skid looking at it from the Right/Passenger side of the sled. about 3" in front of where the rear scissor mounts to the rails.
4293221053_7a2e26346a.jpg

Now I use the Claw Washer for a guide to drill the hole and clamped it to the rail with vice grips. Drill 13/32 hole.
4293965016_9248c4ab41.jpg

Now install the bolt with the claw washer from the inside, then the " bracket 7 " standoff, idler, washer, and nut on the outside and tighten. Repeat on the other side.
4293960294_470bd1f678.jpg

Here is a inside view of the mounting point with the assembly secured. I had some heavy duty washers in the garage that fit so I put one on each side between the bolt head and the claw washer for a bit of extra strength.
4293218709_f4bc9134d7.jpg

I also installed a new set of slides at the same time which turned this EASY 15-20 minute job into around an hour. With the new slides I will be able to see how much the new idlers effect/reduce the slider wear on my sled compared to the old one. These new idlers are mounted at the front of the most severe wear on my slides.

Perfect! Thanks for the parts list and pics, this should really answer many peoples questions. I should add to that after not having to buy slides for longer intervals this whould pay for itself quickly, or at least for me it would lol. I was gona look into the 2 hole mount from I believe Skidoo? Then get 135mm wheels too.

Joe

I also noticed that there is a spot on the rails about 7-8" behind the front outside idler wheel that already has a hole drilled there that this same setup would bolt into. The rear springs are even bent properly to clear like Yamaha had planned to put a set there but never did. With a set there also along with where I mounted mine you probibly never have to change slides again. Hopefully I get some snow this weekend from this storm so I can try my setup out.

Hi,

I know it is too late for you now but anyone else considering this mod could inquire about the accessory wheels that Yammie sells with replaceable bearings for $29.95 (Can) each .
This is one style SMA-8HF-38-01 - and they come in colours.

I found this out when replacing my front outside idlers - the originals are I believe $69.95 each w/o replaceable bearings.

i have the excell over size kit (8 wheel) and 2 sets of the small marginal snow wheels on it, did 3500kms last year and slides like new. if you want send me a pm and i will send you some pics.

Just thought I'd Post another update, I turned 2600 miles on this set of slides and this is the worst spot on them, about 2mm left. The best part is there was only 3mm left 1500 miles ago at the last update. Future XTX owners will want to look into this as it looks like Yamaha is keeping the standard MTX idler wheel setup on the XTX and the slides will wear pretty quick in this area without extra wheels. I'll be swapping to the Dupont slides this summer when I have the skid out and I should NEVER need to change slides again!

IMG_1844[1] by Rancherlee, on Flickr

This wheel kit is a must for the XTX. I will be ordering the parts for this kit and installing DuPont slides as well. I like that you have installed it on a strong part of the rail. The rear suspension mount bolts the two halves of the rail together. I have heard of wheels twisting and bending rails. This should not be the case where you have installed the wheels. Thanks for the great pictures and part numbers!

Instead of drilling a hole I got longer bolts, washers and collars and used the existing bolt holes in the lower pivot arm. Worked like a charm.
084.JPG

Great read!!!
I have at least 5500 hard Kms on my duponts. By hard I mean playing in sand pits here and there with a twist of low/frozen snow.
They've worn through approx right where the wheels have been installed. I've been pretty good checking up front as I grease every 3rd ride(ish). THANKS to Blue for having me check the spot indicated!!! Could have been a lot of damage as once they wear through I think they deteriorate quickly after that.
I'll be ordering that kit ASAP!! New duponts about to go on this evening.

I think this should be a sticky, belongs at the top!! Great post.

Back