• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

G-Force 1 Yamaha Sets World Record on the Salt

Glad to provide the pictures,

MulotTurbo,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your brother at the event. Good discussion. I agree a taller gear may have helped several dynamics; rev limiter, clutch and traction to the salt. Tightening up slippage above 200 mph by 2% would mean and additional 4.00 mph.

If anyone is curious; the specially designed track Camoplast produced for this application was rated for 240 mph. ;)!

Thanks T.J.,

It was duly noted in a couple of discussions that not one rep from Yamaha attended. I really didn't expect to see them. I guess they can afford to miss a number of opportunities.

Camoplast bought the pizza and beer and Gilles provided the Champagne. :jump:

The right reps were in attendance to provide expertise for the track, suspension, and clutch. Gilles mechanics had the motor and electronics.

From a test bed point of view, the machine provided a tremendous amount of information from all the sensors on-board. The sled has way too much power for the gear selection. Track slippage up to 200 mph was around 6%. So it took a smooth progressive throttle to get-up-to-speed.

At speed the track slipped on the salt at a constant 2-3%. The lugged track and drivers used on the Val'Dor run last September were used to make the record run.

An experimental proprietary friction drive system was designed that didn't work in this application. I was asked not to show pictures and will honor the companys request. Great concept however. What happened the friction drive drum got contaminated with salt which caused asymetrical slippage. The drive was turning at 240 mph, the track speed over the ground was 185 mph, with the motor turning 11,700 rpm. Not a good scenario.

When Francis hit the overdrive button the transmission couldn't handle the over-speed engagement and Ka-boom. The clutches then tried to re-engage and catch up to demand. Consequently, the jack-shaft snapped, secondary clutch and belt were then destroyed. End result, a big mess and 1 1/2 days of repairs were required, which included some clutch machinng at a Wendover Airport machine shop. I'll explain more sometime over a beer.

Everyone pitched in, the track was converted back over to the old drive system and was ready to run on Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday, 3 runs were made. The first around 193 was not accepted. The second run at 198 mph was now the qualifying run for the return speed run. During the 2 hour maintenance period under FIM rules, some adjustments were made from sensor/computer information to the engine and clutch. The final run through the mile was 209.126 with and exit speed of 210.477 (better than 210.3 last September) with a GPS high speed of 211.5 was recorded just outside the timed mile. End result, the flying mile average was 202.907 mph.

The sled is and was a tremendous test bed for future land speed racing.

A big hats off and salute to Camoplast for their commitment to this project and R&D efforts.

A lesson for us all...

What was totally awe-inspiring; after Monday's run, in time of need, other teams, and every person that attended in support of Team G-Force, made contributions to put the sled back together, into the record books and utimately make history.

The door for future opportunities of snowmobile land speed racing (both winter and summer events) has just been busted wide open. Thanks to Gilles Gagne's vision and absolute desire to have his sled be the first to run on the salt at over 200 mph. ;)!

OK guy's and gal's, the door is wide open to build your own Bonneville racer.

G-Force One has established this FIM Class: Snowmobile: partially streamlined, 1000 cc, forced induction.

"FIM Charlie just visited and said the saltmobile (well, really a snowmobile) is classed as -- ready for this? --

Snowmobile, partially streamlined, 1000 cc, forced induction.

That's it".

My interpretation is: Some of the folks are blown away that partially streamlined 1000cc (actually bore and stroke checked at 997.6 cc) forced induction (supercharged) sled has run well over 200 mph.

FIM didn't specify fuel which is a good thing. This provides more design latitude.

Let's go Land Speed Racing!!!;)!

Back