• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gauge Pod Electrical issue

J1635

Suspended
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro
Hey guys, so ive finally got my sled back together, and it seems like the last problem i have is a hard one.

everything worked fine before i pulled everything apart so i'm certain im missing something here.

issue is when you turn the key the dash pod doesnt come on. the sled will STILL start and run without any issue, ive trouble shooted and verified that all the relays are working. i swapped the load center relay that controls the pod with a new solid state one for piece of mind but the old one still works.

i have metered everything out and here is what i have

1) Load center relay has a full 12v circuit if i jump it the gauge pod comes on and works without issue everything reads fine.

2) The coil of the load center relay gets 12v coming to it when i turn on the key, its just not making a full circuit to the ECM module, i verified i have continuity from the neutral side of the relay going to the ecm, verified the grounds on the ecm are grounded to the machine, the fact i have continuity in the wire and to ground make me wonder why its not working.

3) the other 4 pin relay beside it also works, it gets power to its coil when the first relay powers up,

ive attached the wiring diagrams, hopefully you guys can give me some ideas, i should add that even though i do have continuity on the brown/blue wire going from the neutral side of the LRC to the ECM, if i do a continuity test to ground on that wire i dont get anything, but if i do it on the neutral side of the relay beside it i do have a connection to ground.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 11,004
  • wiring2.jpg
    wiring2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,101

Dash lights won't come on until after the motor is started and running. Then the lights in the pod will come on and may take several seconds before lighting up. Is this what you are talking about?

no this is different. first thing i noticed today was my battery is dead, did some checking and i found i was getting continuity to ground on wires i dont think i should be. at certain times i was getting path to ground from the Red charging wire for example, which i dont think should be.

also getting continuity to ground in the fusebox, but wasnt blowing any fuses. i know with them running carb heaters and various other things that the ecm/dash pod are doing maybe there is supposed to be continuity to ground in certain places. ill look more at it tomorrow but it wouldnt surprise me if a wires rubbing through in the harness somewhere.

Just for your information, the RS sleds will drain your battery if you only use the kill switch to turn off the sled. You must turn off the key when shutting down. And yes the instrument cluster only comes on after engine is started. Hope this helps you find your issue.

Pull apart every connector that you took apart and see if one of the wires pulled out, or partially pulled out, one of the connectors. A wire could have broken off as well.

Jeez...if it worked before you did this it SHOULD work when back together. On both my 05 and 14 Vector's Yamaha did a great job in that the connectors in a certain spot will only mate up with the same style/size connector. Pretty much idiot proof IMO.

BTW - your avatar is beyond creepy!

Hmm, perhaps you have the 'infamous' Ground connector problem! Not sure what sled/year you have, but there were some problems with some ground 'multiple' connectors within the harness of some of the sleds. Do a search and you'll have some reading! Possible way to test is attach an alligator jump wire from a good known ground and pin the other end to your pod, or maybe the grd pin of your pod...

aside from the ground block in the harness above the motor i didnt know there was one by the voltage regulator up front. opened it and sure enough just full of #*$&@. yamaha makes wicked machines but they come up with the stupidest goddamn ways to run them lol. cleaned it out and everything is normal now. for future reference for anyone i was getting er codes on the dash pod and weird continuity to ground. dont let that fool you though as they do have 12v line sides running through resistors to ground so it is normal to have continuity. everytjing is now fixed bring on the snow!

no this is different. first thing i noticed today was my battery is dead, did some checking and i found i was getting continuity to ground on wires i dont think i should be. at certain times i was getting path to ground from the Red charging wire for example, which i dont think should be.

also getting continuity to ground in the fusebox, but wasnt blowing any fuses. i know with them running carb heaters and various other things that the ecm/dash pod are doing maybe there is supposed to be continuity to ground in certain places. ill look more at it tomorrow but it wouldnt surprise me if a wires rubbing through in the harness somewhere.
Hey I seem to have the exact same problem with my 2005 Yamaha Venture RS, the rear tail light also doesn't work. Headlights work machine runs well but the cluster is dead and the tail lights! can you give me some help with where that harness is you cleaned out and what it looks like

Back