• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing?

WillowAce

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper L-TX-DX - Sold
2019 Switchback XCR - Sold
2015 Viper L-TX-LE
2019 Renegade 850 - In the shed just in case
2020 Viper L-TX-SE
Last run of the year and I almost made it. GPS showed 99 mph running on solid ice. I believe I ran out of gear not engine. I am running stock gears, what is everyone else running that has broken the 100 barrier?

Last run of the year and I almost made it. GPS showed 99 mph running on solid ice. I believe I ran out of gear not engine. I am running stock gears, what is everyone else running that has broken the 100 barrier?
Mine stock did a miraculous one time top speed of 105mph on guage for quite a long distance so it was absolutely perfect conditions and never repeated till modded. Gearing for me did not give even 1mph faster top speed but it did make my clutching very consistant and high top speeds more often. What I am saying is you are not out of gear or clutch but gearing will make it easier to reach that 99 more often. More power and the need to add wieght to primary is only time I have beaten previous top speeds over a average.

Do you have adjustable weights? What rpm you have on recall? What belt? That 1 mph is going to torture you so we need to find it before ice is gone!

Went riding Thur but no place to open up...I'm justgoing to put it on a stand a pin it to see what the gearing will go to..and go from there

Do you have adjustable weights? What rpm you have on recall? What belt? That 1 mph is going to torture you so we need to find it before ice is gone!

I do have adjustable weights. Recall has just under 9100 and I am running an 8dn. I've never played with adjusting the weights, but just set it like Allen told me to. I might get a chance to run it again tomorrow, but not sure. Today you could see the ice getting rotten and some open water at the shoreline. Supposed to be close to 50 all week so this is going to be it.

Suck the limiter strap in 2 or 3 holes. Your rpm is about perfect. Go early morn. Good luck be safe

I have a buddy that does that. Always scares the heck out of me!

I started that that back in my race days...you see...circle m injectors didn't work long.

Oh they work fine....but they lost optimum performance from time to time.
The fix was new..maybe 6 sets a season.

Just before staging I'd pin it and it had to bounce off 8750 then over rev.
This all took only a second or 2 as the engine zinged pretty fast

If it was a few RPM short we had to tighten the secondary for a bit for the less HP....

Never had a speedo thou...

To do it on the 4/ may take almost 30 seconds?????
To scarred to do it yet.

I started that that back in my race days...you see...circle m injectors didn't work long.

Oh they work fine....but they lost optimum performance from time to time.
The fix was new..maybe 6 sets a season.

Just before staging I'd pin it and it had to bounce off 8750 then over rev.
This all took only a second or 2 as the engine zinged pretty fast

If it was a few RPM short we had to tighten the secondary for a bit for the less HP....

Never had a speedo thou...

To do it on the 4/ may take almost 30 seconds?????
To scarred to do it yet.
Don't forget the front of your skid is just floating. Hope it doesn't fall out.LOL!

Suck the limiter strap in 2 or 3 holes. Your rpm is about perfect. Go early morn. Good luck be safe

Sucked the straps in two holes and ran it today. 98 is the best I got, but the conditions sucked. Rained all night and there was water pooling on the ice and where there wasn't water there was a couple inches of slush. Still happy as hell. Less than 1K miles and almost hit the 100 mark. Now I just have to wait 8 months and see what happens.

Sucked the straps in two holes and ran it today. 98 is the best I got, but the conditions sucked. Rained all night and there was water pooling on the ice and where there wasn't water there was a couple inches of slush. Still happy as hell. Less than 1K miles and almost hit the 100 mark. Now I just have to wait 8 months and see what happens.
Oh Man! Your there. Going to be a long summer!

Reactions: RJH
107 on a long hard packed gravel road. I did 104/5 than replaced the top gear to a 21. Did the same run and I blinked 107. I have videos on here somewhere. My sled has air box mod Mbrp trail can ,COTC clutch kit and different helix. DuPont slides and fourth wheel kit and extra bogies up front. Snow and water really rob these Vipers of speed.

The Vipers get a lot of bad press, but honestly one of the best sleds I've owned. When I bought it the dealer said high 80s would be the best I would see out of it, which isn't far off for a 600 class sled. By the time I was done this year, which as we know was a crappy year, I have a sled that will give any 600 more than it want to deal with. Bought it as a leftover then added mods and still in it under $11k and will outrun my riding partners 800 XCR in all but really soft snow conditions.

The Vipers get a lot of bad press, but honestly one of the best sleds I've owned. When I bought it the dealer said high 80s would be the best I would see out of it, which isn't far off for a 600 class sled. By the time I was done this year, which as we know was a crappy year, I have a sled that will give any 600 more than it want to deal with. Bought it as a leftover then added mods and still in it under $11k and will outrun my riding partners 800 XCR in all but really soft snow conditions.
Yup this is true. Last weekend I Enjoyed beating buddies 800 cat 4 times in a row and then using 3 gallons less than him at fill up! Still looking for 110mph GPS though.

Don't forget the front of your skid is just floating. Hope it doesn't fall out.LOL!

What do you mean by that?

When we get to the skid.....I will drive over a rolling mogel and the front skid won't compress into the chassis..

Back