• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

General Helmet Question

Thunder66

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Apex
I am curious as to why we see the movement to more and more folks wearing MX style helmets vs full face or modular? I'm a long time motocross racer that just got back into the sled scene last winter and I don't see any advantage to an mx helmet with goggles over a good full face or modular.

Goggles, goggles and goggles. I switched to a MX style years ago and I like the ability to change lenses throughout the day. I use three different types. Clear for night, dark for sunshine and amber for low light.
Some like being "cord free". Replacing a heated shield cost more than a set of goggles.
I do miss how quiet a good full face can be tho.

Definitely won't be switching back to a full face helmet or modular anytime soon, switched few years ago to a mx style helmet and never looked back love the ability to have different goggles and lenses for different days

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I love my BRP Modular 2. It has the flip down sun shade and never fogs as long as your using the breath mask with filter. I guess it all depends on what you prefer.

Looking through a lense of a good pair of goggles can't be beat.

I get tired of buddies and their heated visors, jumping off their sled, un hooking, then re hooking the cable up.

Also love it when the wire gets cold and brittle and no longer works - and they have to stop to clean the inside of the visor from icing.

Keep it simple.
Ms

Ps Klim Arctic belaclava is key.

I have a buddy who rides like a sweaty mess has his goggles fog up constantly when its cold out. I did break a cord one day but managed to weld it back together with a solo cup at a warm up shack. I have never really tried the mx style due to the cost of a good helmet and goggles.

Goggles, goggles and goggles. I switched to a MX style years ago and I like the ability to change lenses throughout the day. I use three different types. Clear for night, dark for sunshine and amber for low light.
Some like being "cord free". Replacing a heated shield cost more than a set of goggles.
I do miss how quiet a good full face can be tho.
Which helmet have you had the best luck with as far as quiet goes?

Personal preference

I have used both prefer full face
I have waited while both guys struggling with masks googles frozen faces as well as fogged shields my experience is the experienced snowmobilers can make either work well so back to personal preference

I have a buddy who rides like a sweaty mess has his goggles fog up constantly when its cold out. I did break a cord one day but managed to weld it back together with a solo cup at a warm up shack. I have never really tried the mx style due to the cost of a good helmet and goggles.

I got into a MX helmet and goggles for under $200. My full face HJC with drop down sunvisor and heated shield ran me $350. Changing out the visor every other year due to scratches was well over$100.
Set of goggles are $100. In the long run my MX helmet and numerous goggles have been cheaper to run than my full face.

Which helmet have you had the best luck with as far as quiet goes?

The HJC full face mentioned above has been my quietest helmet. I have not owned any other brands other than HJC. I have tried the BV2S. Found it extremely heavy and hard to put on and and take off.
I have heard that they are the warmest and quietest helmet around, just not the helmet for me as of yet.

I got exo cx950 orange and white $328. Works very well hell i even dont have to open vents that heated Shield works very good. You can also use goggles with this helmet it has the motocross style visor.

Last edited:
I have found the HJC helmets to be some of the LOUDEST, leakiest helmets made. Brought my last one made back and got a GMAX, which I am pleased with. Never considered MX style for cold riding, only warm spring riding.

You will like that helmet mine worked very well when I went out riding in Cadillac. My heated Shield work so well I didn't need my vents open. Oh and the sun visor works awesome didn't even fog up. Makes it crystal clear when sun out.

Last edited:
The biggest reason for me not wearing a MX style helmet is the peripheral vision is reduced compared to a full face.

Back