• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting spark to only one cylinder

henks

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Phazer
Sled ran great all winter last year, put it in storage. Pulled it out, cranked over really slow and wouldn't start. Threw a new battery at it, same thing. New spark plugs, same thing. I know I'm getting fuel (after I changed the fuse for that), but the interesting thing is I'm only getting spark to one cylinder. We swapped the coils to see if that was the culprit, and it's not. Still no spark on that same cylinder.

Can someone give me some info regarding the ignition system on this puppy?

TIA

No codes showing, did you try swapping the plugs just to make sure its not a bad plug from the box?

No codes showing. Old plugs looked really clean, checked it with those and new.

Is it old gas? I had that problem with mine, it doesn't seem to like old fuel even with a stabilizer in it.

Any chance the timing advance key, you list in your signature, is causing a problem? Not sure how that ties into the ignition.

It certainly could, but all of that stuff came with the sled when I purchased it, so I'm not really sure how any of that stuff works.

Any chance the timing advance key, you list in your signature, is causing a problem? Not sure how that ties into the ignition.

Good catch, did not notice that. I would lean to that being a large possibility.

So how does that, the ignition timing, work? I know on vehicles the whole distributor cap/rotor deal, but with these engines I'm clueless.

Can you post a pic of the timing key and or what make and model it is?

Grounds grounds grounds.
Try "Yam177", he may know whats shakin with it. If I remember correctly he had that advance timing thinkg in the past on his race sled.

We (my cousin and I) were going to check around some things first, before I go to him. This is actually his (yam177) old sled.

You may be over thinking it. You said only one spark and checked the coils by swapping them out. Did you check the wiring to the coils? There are two wires that run to each coil. With the connector "connected" to the coil back probe the wires while you are cranking the sled. Your test light will flash on one wire and stay on constant on the other. No "flashy" no starty. If you have the flash then it can only be a coil, secondary wire or spark plug. Report back.

We (my cousin and I) were going to check around some things first, before I go to him. This is actually his (yam177) old sled.
I remember from a couple years ago. I was going to buy some stuff off him, but wasn't on last year much.

Question: Did you add that pc5 this season?
I ask because my cousin on his Polaris 850XP has a controller added to his and it caused the same thing. Once cylinder had no spark.
Ignorant on the subject but trying to help, I asked/helped him get an update for his controller. Updated it, and machine is running fine now.
It may or not be related but i've read pages and pages on this site. Seems 99% of issues are ground related (older phazers) or in need of some sort of electronic update.

Back