• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GoPro Hero Black vs ProView HD II

Petron

Pro
Action cameras are becoming more and more popular amongst the riding community.

A buddy of mine recently purchased the GoPro Hero3 Black for $399. After returning from our day of riding we'd watch some of the footage on the flat screen. After playing around with different settings and watching back after each ride it become evident that I wanted to purchase an action camera myself.

I have a MacBook with imovie so I figured after uploading the footage I'd make a great video with music, cut and paste different scenes and make it some what entertaining rather than watching a clip that goes for 10min along the trail.

The decision was made that I did not want to spend upward of $300 on an action camera so I did some research. I came across the Pro View HD II for $157.00. Price was the no. 1 reason why I purchased it, plus it had an LCD screen that allowed me to watch back on the recently recorded footage and ensure the camera was angled correctly prior to recording. The directions it came with were lacking, but after playing around with it for 10min it was obviously self explanatory.

Upon returning after our day of riding it became evident which action camera packed the greatest punch. Both cameras were set to 1920x1080P30 and obviously both are HD.

Attached are screenshot pics that speak for themselves. It's clear the $157.00 camera has far better color quality than the $399 camera. Plus I added screenshot pics of a somewhat cloudy day. I also added pics of my mounting configuration and the camera itself.

It's important to point out that I have not altered these pics in any way whatsoever.

Attachments

• ProView HD II with case.JPG
    ProView HD II with case.JPG
    660.7 KB · Views: 144
  • ProView HD II.JPG
    ProView HD II.JPG
    577.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Cloudy day.png
    Cloudy day.png
    603.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Sunny landscape.png
    Sunny landscape.png
    568 KB · Views: 156
  • Sunny landscape with sled person.jpg
    Sunny landscape with sled person.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 158

There are some really nice helmet/action cameras out there for a lot cheaper than the GoPros. I run a Camone Infinity and a Bullet HD Lite 2. Together they were half the price of a GoPro Black.

I am looking for one also..I want one that can take stills and am leaning towards a garmin for have been reading some good things. I wonder if your friend has a good quality card in his go pro though. That makes all the difference and would have to say I have never seen such low quality pics from a go pro.

We were both using the same card.My ProView HD II also takes stills, and you can zoom in/out as well. Having the LCD screen makes taking stills very conveinent too.

GoPro black edition is the only acceptable format for HD broadcast
for many networks because it is far superior to any other offering.
Once set up correctly - which is not so easy, it shoots stunning pictures...the comparison
pics above are not apples to apples it's more like comparing an automatic to a standard transmission
The GoPro black edition can shoot in 2.7 k or even 4k Resolution which is far superior to anything out there currently offering HD 1920- 1080. In fact 4k is 4 times the resolution of 1080......colour wise, prosumer cameras have built in Chroma boost so the colour is always on the high side and can artifact quite quickly... GoPro natively shoots flat so it can be colour corrected during the editing process.... It does have the ability to boost colour but it's not the best way to go for optimal results. We use up to 4 GoPros during a shoot and once coulor corrected in edit they match up well with most high end professional cameras
However. it's hard to justify spending 400 bucks - plus assesories
when you just want to have some fun on the weekend.
At the end of the day you do get what you pay for.

Barry

Back