• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gps options?

IMG_0186.JPG

Nuvi 50 with vvmapping

Nuvi 50, and I put mine in a aqua box so I can use it atving and snowmobiling. Also use VV Mapping, know that don't do you any good!

New York State has a Garmin map file, like $27. Same as the phone map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my Garmin Montana 600t on the Viper

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 400
Another option is the free " Ride Command " app (was Rider X ) for your phone. Snowmobile part shows where you are on all trails in area. You can track your ride and add waypoints plus other things.
ATV part can make your own trails.
Very much like a hand held outdoor GPS
Google it.

I've heard of the ram mounts before and I see alot of people running them on sleds , I got a garmin nuvi 2555 and I'll be ordering "trailmasters" gps overlay for NY , anyone else running trailmasters for NY ? Or the nuvi ?

I mounted a Garmin Nuvi 2597 to a ram ball mounted to a custom simple frame I made out of a 1/2 inch strip metal rattle can flat black. This puts the screen right above gauges on Viper so my old eyes don’t have to try to focus at handle bar distance then back and forth to the trail. Works great in the garage can’t wait to try on the trail. Tried pics to large for system

I mounted a Garmin Nuvi 2597 to a ram ball mounted to a custom simple frame I made out of a 1/2 inch strip metal rattle can flat black. This puts the screen right above gauges on Viper so my old eyes don’t have to try to focus at handle bar distance then back and forth to the trail. Works great in the garage can’t wait to try on the trail. Tried pics to large for system
Yes some of the ram mounts for the handlebars look way too close.. so I opted for a ram ball mount that I can tuck between the dash cluster and the windshield , I measured and everything should fit pretty flawlessly I might have to customize a few things

That is the beauty of using a RAM Cradle for your 5" Nuvi, as you can put a 1" ball anywhere and move it if it doesn't work out. I had a 1" RAM U-clamp on my Phazer handlebar and Apex GT Handlebar. This allowed me to move it between sleds with a quick twist of the RAM arm. I also had one on my motorcycle.

Now I have a 1" RAM ball on the riser of my ApexXTX, and one in my Wildcat SXS. I did go to an 8" RAM arm, so I could move it a round a bit more, and swing it from side to side in the SXS. That cradle makes the Nuvi much more universal. And don't worry about the conditions. My Nuvi sat out in a total downpour on my motorcycle handlebars this summer and is still chugging along. It has seen -40f to 100f, rain and snow. And if it dies, there will be more for sale on C-list.

The actual RAM cradle isn't much over $15 on Amazon, Ebay and Walmart. Just go to the RAM site and find the model for your Nuvi. You do have the choice of packaging it with a 1" arm and one ball. But that's only needed if it is your first install. Those items can all be purchased Ala Carte as needed.

Last edited:
Yes some of the ram mounts for the handlebars look way too close.. so I opted for a ram ball mount that I can tuck between the dash cluster and the windshield , I measured and everything should fit pretty flawlessly I might have to customize a few things

That's exactly how I mounted my Garmin Montana on my Apex XTX although I left the handlebar mount on my older Apex for the times I ride it and want to use the GPS. After having both options, I really enjoy it's new location, directly above the gauge pod, rather than being mounted on the handle bar. I've since switched to the power dock for the Montana so I don't have to worry about the power cord coming loose from the AUX port nor do I have to worry about the GPS shutting off when we stop and shut off our sleds. As biff mentions, the nice thing with RAM mounts is that it allows to find more uses for your GPS as I will most likely also add a mount to my Grizzly ATV.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 326
7" Garmin Nuvi, Ram Mount and VV Maping. No cover and no problems with snow. If it's raining or really wet snow I just put a clear plastic bag over it.

View attachment 142358

Those 7" Nuvi are awesome! My buddy has had two of them. I keep giving him crap asking if he is going to connect up his Xbox or Direct TV receiver to it!! They fit perfect on the SkiDoo Glove Box Extension. It's a nice unit for sure!

The only issue I had with the 7", we it was so high of resolution, that the color that Redpine used to overlay the sled trails would not show up as well, as it was too thin of a line. We may figure it out in settings. That's only an issue when trails follow existing roads, which happens plenty. Otherwise, what a great unit.

That's exactly how I mounted my Garmin Montana on my Apex XTX although I left the handlebar mount on my older Apex for the times I ride it and want to use the GPS. After having both options, I really enjoy it's new location, directly above the gauge pod, rather than being mounted on the handle bar. I've since switched to the power dock for the Montana so I don't have to worry about the power cord coming loose from the AUX port nor do I have to worry about the GPS shutting off when we stop and shut off our sleds. As biff mentions, the nice thing with RAM mounts is that it allows to find more uses for your GPS as I will most likely also add a mount to my Grizzly ATV.
That's exactly what I want to do , looks very clean

Back