• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GPS Zumo 590LM advice

Cos

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Does anyone know if Zumo 590LM (for motorcycle) would work on a sled??

I already have one and find it quite good on my bike but never tried it in the winter on a sled. I know touch screen are not recommended but would like your opinion.

If so what would be the best mount to use? Right now it’s hard wired on the bike and could get just the same on my sled.. Then clip it in on either one…

Thank you for your opinion

Does anyone know if Zumo 590LM (for motorcycle) would work on a sled??

I already have one and find it quite good on my bike but never tried it in the winter on a sled. I know touch screen are not recommended but would like your opinion.

If so what would be the best mount to use? Right now it’s hard wired on the bike and could get just the same on my sled.. Then clip it in on either one…

Thank you for your opinion

Did you ever mount and use your Zumo on your sled?

I have 590 on one of my sleds and a 550 on the other one.

I've only been on one ride with this on the sled so far. It was NOT cold though - temps around 30F. I had no issues at all with the 590 during this ride.

This has been on my sled for the last 4-5 years. I rode one morning at -25F and had no issues with this one either. I do take them in overnight though so they at least start the day warm. Can't imagine it takes long to be VERY cold at -25 though.

The 550 is only rated to 0F so just having it powered up is probably keeping it in the right range. I am looking at the 595LM as it is one of the few Garmin units which can take Basecamp routes and use them for route-able navigation. It (the 595) and the Montana have the same ratings and I see people wearing the Montanas outside of their jackets for outdoor activities. Again, having it powered up is probably the key and the screens/batteries on these things are probably the limiting factors.

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you ever mount and use your Zumo on your sled?

As a matter of fact I did and the best thing I ever done with a gps. It is the Zumo 595lm

I tested at -35 Celsius (with he wind factor -60) and works like a charm. The fact it is powered up with the base, it keeps it worm and can use the touch screen even in coldest temperatures. IMPORTANT:" Make sure you hard wire it with the harness that is sold separately and not with the car wire that plugs in the lighter... . Also if very cold weather and you go inside for some time do not leave it on the sled and take it with you inside so it stays warm. If not, you risk of damage it when you start the sled..

I use it on my sled, bike and atv all the time now. They are all wired with the same base and I just unclip it from one and put in onto the other.. Best thing ever...

As a matter of fact I did and the best thing I ever done with a gps. It is the Zumo 595lm

I tested at -35 Celsius (with he wind factor -60) and works like a charm. The fact it is powered up with the base, it keeps it worm and can use the touch screen even in coldest temperatures. IMPORTANT:" Make sure you hard wire it with the harness that is sold separately and not with the car wire that plugs in the lighter... . Also if very cold weather and you go inside for some time do not leave it on the sled and take it with you inside so it stays warm. If not, you risk of damage it when you start the sled..

I use it on my sled, bike and atv all the time now. They are all wired with the same base and I just unclip it from one and put in onto the other.. Best thing ever...

Thanks for the update.. sounds like you have a good solution and exactly what I am looking for. Can you confirm that if you create a route and follow it that it does not allow you to join a route in progress? In other words, if you stray from the route and then rejoin you have to reset the route back to the beginning before it starts guidance again?

Back