• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grizzly stalling question

superfan75

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX Warrior
I have an 09 Grizzly 700 that used to stall a lot and would backfire when I tried to restart it. It was an intermittent problem that happened even when it was new, but it got a lot worse this summer. I read that people were installing FI controllers with good luck so I did get a Dynatek FI controller. It does help a lot. Its only stalled once since I installed until I got an exhaust tip and then the problem came back until I turn the low speed dial up all the way, but then it used too much gas so I reinstalled the stock exhaust tip and turned back the dial. It runs really good, but did I really fix it or did I just put a band aide on the problem. I checked all the grounds, tested the stator, and trouble shot everything else I could think of. I just wonder if this is a real solution or is something that's going to slowly get worse and the Dynatek wont be able to correct it anymore. Thank you.

How did you turn up the idle? I tried adjusting the throttle cable a little, but it would go too fast then. I have a shop manual, but it doesn't tell how to adjust the idle.

superfan75 said:
How did you turn up the idle? I tried adjusting the throttle cable a little, but it would go too fast then. I have a shop manual, but it doesn't tell how to adjust the idle.

It under the tank cover next to the right side of the air box... look like a small turn knob.

Okay when I get home tomorrow I'll check it out. Maybe I can put my exhaust tip on which made it sound nice without having to give it a bunch of extra fuel to make it run.

Well I figured I should give an update with my stalling problem. It was a pain to figure out since sometimes it would bother and sometimes it wouldn't. I ended up increasing my idle a little bit. I sped it up to the point where if I went any further it would clunk when I put it in gear. I think it wont bother anymore. It will sputter once in a while, but it seems to keep running where it would cut out before. There is a screw with a lock-nut on it where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. Thanx for the help.

superfan75 said:
Well I figured I should give an update with my stalling problem. It was a pain to figure out since sometimes it would bother and sometimes it wouldn't. I ended up increasing my idle a little bit. I sped it up to the point where if I went any further it would clunk when I put it in gear. I think it wont bother anymore. It will sputter once in a while, but it seems to keep running where it would cut out before. There is a screw with a lock-nut on it where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. Thanx for the help.

Awesome :Rockon: Thanks for the update :Rockon:

Well I guess I spoke to soon. I went to use the Grizzly tonight to cut some firewood and all of a sudden it wont start. The last time we used it it ran great. It started tonight and then stalled out after a couple minutes. I was able to restart it a couple more times and that was it. It will cough once in a while , but it wont run at all now. This is discouraging to have a practically new Grizzly with only 1600 miles on it have these problems. Maybe now that it wont start I can figure out what's wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas? I checked all the grounds and wiring for shorts and good connections last year and everything still looked like new. Maybe if I put a little carb cleaner or gas down the throttle body I can tell if its getting gas. I can hear the fuel pump kicking on when I turn the key on and then it goes out like its built up pressure. I should check for spark, but I know it had good spark last year. I hope its something simple and not too expensive. I would appreciate any advice so hopefully track this down this weekend. Thanx.

superfan75 said:
Well I guess I spoke to soon. I went to use the Grizzly tonight to cut some firewood and all of a sudden it wont start. The last time we used it it ran great. It started tonight and then stalled out after a couple minutes. I was able to restart it a couple more times and that was it. It will cough once in a while , but it wont run at all now. This is discouraging to have a practically new Grizzly with only 1600 miles on it have these problems. Maybe now that it wont start I can figure out what's wrong with it. Anyone have any ideas? I checked all the grounds and wiring for shorts and good connections last year and everything still looked like new. Maybe if I put a little carb cleaner or gas down the throttle body I can tell if its getting gas. I can hear the fuel pump kicking on when I turn the key on and then it goes out like its built up pressure. I should check for spark, but I know it had good spark last year. I hope its something simple and not too expensive. I would appreciate any advice so hopefully track this down this weekend. Thanx.

Start with the basics, be sure you have good fuel flow from the fuel pump, then be sure it has good spark and finally compression.

weird thought, is the gas tank vent plugged? try with the cap off to test that.

Well I got my Grizzly figured out today and it seems to be running great !! I haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride, but I did pull a garden tractor out from my garden and it idled good to. I have never seen this happen before, but here's what it was. I pored a cap full of gas down the throttle body and hit the start button and nothing happened so I knew I didn't have any spark. I took the plug out and held it up against the engine to check for spark and nothing. Then by chance I hit the start button when the plug wasn't touching anything to ground it and a arc jumped from the ground electrode to the engine. I couldn't get a spark from the center electrode to the ground electrode though. So long story short I tracked down a new plug and it runs great now. I've worked on a lot of different engines over the years and I've never seen a plug act like that before. I'm sooo happy that's all it was !! I should've known it wouldn't be something serious, IT'S A YAMAHA AFTER ALL !! LOL. Thanx for the advice everyone. Its nice to know someone is willing to help.

superfan75 said:
Well I got my Grizzly figured out today and it seems to be running great !! I haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride, but I did pull a garden tractor out from my garden and it idled good to. I have never seen this happen before, but here's what it was. I pored a cap full of gas down the throttle body and hit the start button and nothing happened so I knew I didn't have any spark. I took the plug out and held it up against the engine to check for spark and nothing. Then by chance I hit the start button when the plug wasn't touching anything to ground it and a arc jumped from the ground electrode to the engine. I couldn't get a spark from the center electrode to the ground electrode though. So long story short I tracked down a new plug and it runs great now. I've worked on a lot of different engines over the years and I've never seen a plug act like that before. I'm sooo happy that's all it was !! I should've known it wouldn't be something serious, IT'S A YAMAHA AFTER ALL !! LOL. Thanx for the advice everyone. Its nice to know someone is willing to help.

Awesome :Rockon:

good that you got it!

Thanx for the advice Mr Sled and Maim. That was a weird spark plug, I've never seen one do that and I've talked to a few other people and they've never heard of it either. I got to take it out for a small ride last night and it ran awesome. This plug must've been going bad for a while because it hasn't ran this good for a couple of years. It seemed to run much smoother and quieter. Next time if it starts acting funny I'm going to just change the plug.

Back