• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Happy new owner of a 2011 Apex se with a few questions and pics!!!

Comatoast

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
Well I've wanted a 2011+ Apex since about the time they came out, but never had the funds to do so. I was looking for one back in 2012 , and they were still up there in price, so I bought a 2011 Nytro xtx in excellent condition with about 7k miles on the clock.. Only thing I've done to that is add a Hauck cluth kit, Oilite bushings, and OFT relocate, and have been very happy ever since.

The girlfriend loved snowmobiling as well, and as soon as she hopped on the Nytro, that was "her" sled, so whenever we went out I would be on the 97 sx700, and she was on the Nytro.. After a few backbreaking years, it was finally time to get my Apex.. Not the XTX that I wanted ( only thing I hope I dont regret about the purchase ) but a mint condition SE..

Sled has 9200 miles, but looks like new. Bought from the original owner who is now retired and riding a Sidewinder. Maintenance records and paperwork is also with the sled. Only put on about 30 miles today as I just got it this morning, But, here goes.

Updates from stock:

Ice Ripper XT
Snow Trackers ( wasn't sure about these after some horror stories I read, but they seem great so far )
Hygear Dual pressure 2 kit
All Fox shox rebuilt within 1200 miles @ Hygear
Duponts
Oilite bushings
New Battery

What needs work or random questions:

- Its cold blooded , just like my Nytro when its cold . I read a post from Sasquatch about just holding it on start for a second longer ( Im guessing that just means keep it cranking a second longer? If so, I'll try that tomorrow.

- He has had an Ulmer clutch kit for the majority of its life, but put on the factory one to sell it, ( assuming he was trying to sell the kit separate ) But he ended up throwing the kit in with the deal.. SO I have a Helix , one spring ( as he told me this kit uses the stock secondary spring ) and some extra weights/washers etc .. Should I leave the stock clutch / primary spring on? Replace both stock springs and leave the helix stock? Replace both springs and swap in the Ulmer Helix? Only talking about switching springs because the stock secondary has about 9200 miles on it, and around 8500 for the ulmer primary

- Exhaust donuts are still original.. I think I already know what answer I'm gonna get for this one , haha

- Exup was serviced ( cant remember date ) But will look at it again when the donuts go on. ALso , I saw Mr Sleds video on exup alignment/ adjustment ( thank you for that!! ) but nothing on donut replacement. SO if there is a video or a thread , please post!!

- Copper or OEM donuts? I heard OEM is different now that a few years ago? New material and/or better clamps??

- Is getting the red SS relays worth the money?

- Any bearings I should be looking at closely under the hood, approaching that 10k mike mark?

Sorry for the long post, but just want to get all my chickens in one basket :) Not the greatest pics, as I was just excited to get out and ride, now that we have snow ... ( 35+ degrees predicted next wed-sat :( )

And, Thank you , thank you , thank you!!

IMG_20170111_151710_zpsziijo5ph.jpg
[/URL]

Very nice.
Snowtrackers. You will like them. Sled is very predictable with them.
10k miles I would be replacing the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings for peace of mind. Take a good look into the chaincase as well.
The Red relay is worth it.
The Exup machines don't seem to be as hard on the donuts as the non Exups. Your call. I went with copper on my Attak. I was tired of the OEM. Even the updated part and filed down stops on the clamps did not last long.
Either run the stock clutching or the Ulmer kit. The kit is probably tuned for his primary spring, weights and helix and the stock spring. My Ulmer kit uses the stock secondary.
It cold weather hold the starter longer. Even if it sounds like its firing up, just hold a few seconds more. You will be glad you did. Just ask Sasquatch.:cool:
Service the Exup every season.

Awesome, thank you sir! Love the sled, love the ride, but just want to tackle a few things, like you said for peace of mind. Namely bearings and donuts, chain case oil/tensioner etc.

He must have got the same clutch kit as you. New helix and primary. Stock secondary. I'll post a pic.

That said , when is a good time to change/replace the springs? Since the secondary is at 9200 miles now , and the ulmer kit ( helix , primary ) has 8500 on it. And what kind of difference did you notice with the ulmer kit?

The nice thing about the guy I bought it from was we are about the same size, height, weight, and do the same sort of riding. So the fox/hygear setup seems perfect as is, and the clutch should be close too, as he has the same weight as me on the clutch sheet ulmer gave him

I just traded my 2011 Apex SE. Had it since new. Great sled, I loved mine!!

As mentioned the track drive bearing is must if you don't know when it was changed last. I treated this as an annual replacement to be safe. NTN makes a good replacement that is half the price of Yamaha. The track drive bearing I am referring to is opposite the chaincase. It should have a white nylon insert over the inner bearing seal that does not come with the bearing. This nylon insert is a Yamaha part number and was introduced in 2011 to help keep water out of the bearing. Be sure to install it on the new bearing. FYI if this bearing fails it wipes out the speedo sensor immobilizing the sled. I always repacked the jack shaft bearing annually as well, never replaced mine.

If the exhaust donuts are original I would recommend replacing. The 2011 and newer Apex models have larger diameter donuts and do last a lot longer I think because the Exup is a solid 4 pipe construction. I changed mine right around the mileage you are at and they were starting to go. Problem is they lose their compression and the clamps start to rattle and wear into the expensive flex pipes and insanity expensive Exup pipe. I tried the copper ones and took them out 2 weeks later. I couldn't get them to seal so I installed Yamaha instead......they last a long time anyway.

Pay attention to the Exup cable. I always lubricated mine where it connect to the exhaust. Mine was original but guys complained of failure in this location. If you ever experience loss of engine performance this is a good place to look.

I'm not a fan of Snow Trackers. I used SkiDoo 5.7 Pilot skis on all my other Apex's but the fit and geometry on the 2011 wouldn't work. Stock skis darted like a SOB. I ended up with a set of Arrow II skis that worked perfect for my riding style.

Congrats on the purchase!! Enjoy the winter. Looks like your sled is in great shape!!

Thank you! So drive bearing, jackshaft and chain case ... Sounds easy enough.. I hope :)

I'll definitely check the exup when I replace the donuts. Just a random question . I see on Ulmers site that if something were to happen to the stock y pipe, there is a pipe he sells for around $1200 , that is stainless, and supposedly adds a few ponies. Not saying I'm going that direction, but in case the manifold does crack , it looks like a good option being 1/2 the price of stock

Im assuming there are how tos on here or youtube for the bearings , exup, donuts etc. I'll have to take a peek...

Odd thing I didn't notice about this sled, is it doesn't seem as fast as it is.. Like I've found other people say, it can be deceiving, but it does go.. my nytro felt like it pulled harder in some spots, especially 0-50, 30-50 etc. But being a xtx is one reason it hooks better , but I think the feeling of getting pulled back ( especially at speeds above 30 ) is from the massive amounts of wind hitting me right in the chest and pushing me back, haha.. tough to say until we line them up

On stock clutching what should wot rpms be?

I'll call ulmer to order up some new springs as I'm guessing they could be replaced with about 9000 miles?

Since the maintenance topics are covered already, congrats on a great find - matching color to the Nytro as well :)

Thanks! Really like it so far. Trails were just groomed today for the first time this season. , So time to get the GoPro ready and take some good video now that we finally have a bit of snow!

Great pictures! Were they taking with your phone? Looks better than a phone pic.

Thanks!

Pics were just something quick to take the minute after I bought it, then we were off for a quick ride down the trail.. Thankfully it's now groomed , as the 128 didnt seem to like 8" or so of powder

Yep just pics from my phone. Nexus 6

Back