• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Happy with a phazer?

MMA-micah

Country
USA
Snowmobile
None atm
Hey everyone, I'm back into snowmobiling after a few years off, and I'm trying to decide if I would be happy on a phazer. Now the first thing is, it would really be for my wife, she has been riding a few times, but never had her own sled, and she likes the looks of the phazer. To get her one, I would be trading my sled for one. I would ride it the rest of the season, and buy myself something for next year over the off season. Another reason I'm looking at phazers is that I had a RX1 and that sled was extreamly reliable, kinda a pig to ride and set up, but at least I never had to walk out of the woods when I had it. And that brings me to the sled I have now, I would just keep it and let her have this sled, but I have the feeling of impending doom every time I take it out, it's a 05 F7 that's had some work,( pipe, clutch, etc etc) really fun sled, and no issues yet, but i always feel like it's coming. So I guess my real question is, will I be happy on a phazer? Even just for the end of the season? My F7 is fast, am I going to be disappointed every time I ride? ( most trails around where I ride are 20-40mph trails with some 80+mph fields and lakes, and 80+mph trails about a hour and a half away). I also want something rider forword, and of corse reliable, because I don't have a lot of time to ride, and when I do, I don't want to be working on my sled. Do you think I would have any fun on a phazer? Or wait till I can get a nytro, or a viper?

I love mine, no real issues with it(knock on wood). It is a blast to drive.

The Phazer is an fun entertaining sled to ride but its not for everyone. It is Yamaha's lightest 4 stroke sled with the highest seat position. I think it is one if not the easiest sleds to stand up on and ride that I have ever sat on. It is easy to throw around but requires lots of active rider input for fast trail riding. When you do, you can run with the big boys in tight twisty rough trails. Set up correctly the Phazer hauls the mail up to 0-60 mph. On the hard pack you can get out over 80 mph. However if the you are riding in wet heavy snow mid 60's mph is about all you will get. I went from an 07' 120hp Yamaha Rage GT to my 09' Phazer RTX for the reduced weight and riding position. I have modified the hell out of my Phazer with the biggest improvement being from stretching it to 144" and basically making it what is now called an Phazer XTX. I would say that I really love my Phazer about 80% of the time. The exception is when riding long straights in Michigan's UP and only being able to run in the 60's mph. The stock track on a Phazer sucks. If you don't stretch a Phazer you will need to replace the track with a 121 x 1.5" Camoplast Freeride to get the most out of the sled. A track swap on a Phazer is the easiest track swap I have ever seen so don't let that scare you. I have not ridden a new Viper but have ridden a number of Nytro's and have always liked them. So in the end I just picked up a used Nytro for a deal I couldn't pass up so the Phazer will have to go next year. I think I like modifying sleds as much as ridding them and I have taken the Phazer as far as I can without adding a turbo. It has been super reliable and great on gas mileage the 5,000 plus miles I have put on it. My best friend went from a F6 to a Phazer and couldn't be happier with his decision. We clutched and stretched his sled with a 128 x 1 3/8" track off a Firecat and it preforms really well. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with whatever you decide to play with. G.B.

I bought my '12 Phazer RTX, new in 2014. Didn't get to ride it much last year(no snow here in NE Pennsylvania), but with just over 500 miles on her I am happy with it. Being my first rider forward sled(and first 4 stroke), at 40 years old, it took awhile to get used to. At first it was a love, hate relationship, but once I settled in to it I've found I really enjoy its riding style, love the way it runs, and I think its an awesome looking sled. Took some work to get the handling good on her though, and still working on improvements. Most of which I've found on this site. A big thanks to everyone here at TY4. The more I do to it, the more I like it. I think where most people go wrong is, when they first ride the Phazer, its so different that they give up before putting any work and adjustments in to it. Then they sell it not ever getting comfortable with it. If you buy one, spend some time getting used to it(riding, adjustments, upgrades) and follow the advice here on this site. You have a good 10 years of "new Phazer" experience here. IMO, the Phazer is one of those sleds you either love or hate.

I would say that if just want a rider forward sit down and cruise sled, you will probably not like the Phazer. By its nature, the Phazer is a stand up and ride it like you stole it sled. Riding it is much more comparable to riding a dirt bike than it is to a traditional snowmobile. With slow speed trail riding, steering tends to be heavy, rear skid not particularly plush, seat too narrow and not really comfortable, and not well protected from wind. However, if you stand up and ride it hard in the bumps, and aren't afraid to hang off the inside in the corners, it is a riot to ride. I rider a well set up Viper and love it. I just moved my son up to a 141 Viper from the Phazer which was also highly modified for off trail riding as his abilities out grew the Phazer, and it was under powered for our riding. He is 22 years old, and a very very active rider. On the Phazer, he could run with me on the Viper in the bumps. The only place he could not hang was in the open where the Viper can stretch its legs a bit more. If at all possible, I would try and get on a Phazer for a ride before you commit to a purchase. There are a lot of Vipers for sale right now at very good prices.

That is spot on above.

I have an 07 GT with a 1.5 Freeride and a 2015 Renegade 900 ACE and I much prefer the riding style of the Phazer. In the woods and winding trails it is my favourite. It does love to be ridden hard. Easy to carve.
The only 2 things I hate about the Phazer: slush build up on the heat exchanger (limits cooling - have a temp gauge to keep an eye on it) and no storage.

Back