• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hard compression when cold

that looks like moisture in the oil. most likely condensation inside the motor.

hydro locking is when a cylinder is full of fluid with no way out ie valves are closed. it will leak down through the rings eventually or will spray out if you turn it over with the spark plugs removed.

that looks like moisture in the oil. most likely condensation inside the motor.

hydro locking is when a cylinder is full of fluid with no way out ie valves are closed. it will leak down through the rings eventually or will spray out if you turn it over with the spark plugs removed.
I think this could have been it then. As I am having fuel pump problems, the gas is mixing with the oil. I bet that is what it was. As of right now, I am having the dealer adjust the floats to spec in the carbs. And going to have to order another fuel pump, but they are backordered in till april 10th. So I guess I am back to hooking up the good brand new fuel pump to the hard to reach vacuum hose, at the center of the carb. And put the best of the two original fuel pumps back on, and just unhook that one vacuum hose at night, so the motor will not fill up with gas. I do not see any other way I can get riding in for the rest of the year except doing this. It is a pain but at least I can still ride.

I think this could have been it then. As I am having fuel pump problems, the gas is mixing with the oil. I bet that is what it was. As of right now, I am having the dealer adjust the floats to spec in the carbs. And going to have to order another fuel pump, but they are backordered in till april 10th. So I guess I am back to hooking up the good brand new fuel pump to the hard to reach vacuum hose, at the center of the carb. And put the best of the two original fuel pumps back on, and just unhook that one vacuum hose at night, so the motor will not fill up with gas. I do not see any other way I can get riding in for the rest of the year except doing this. It is a pain but at least I can still ride.

You can simply buy new hose that is the same size and use it for the harder to reach carb. The hose isn't really anything special.

You can simply buy new hose that is the same size and use it for the harder to reach carb. The hose isn't really anything special.
Yeah I know, but my sled has the hard to take off plastic. It is not like the 05 rage, that all you do is lift the hood and every thing is right there. For me, I have to take the hood off, side panel of, to access the closest vacuum hose. I have to do this every night when I am done riding, so the motor will not fill up with gas. So that is why I am going to hook up the new fuel pump to the center ( hard to reach vacuum hose for me) and have the old fuel pump that leaks, going to the easier vacuum hose so it would not be as hard to take off at night. Mine is an 08, so it has the new plastic, vs the 05 rage would have.

Yeah I know, but my sled has the hard to take off plastic. It is not like the 05 rage, that all you do is lift the hood and every thing is right there. For me, I have to take the hood off, side panel of, to access the closest vacuum hose. I have to do this every night when I am done riding, so the motor will not fill up with gas. So that is why I am going to hook up the new fuel pump to the center ( hard to reach vacuum hose for me) and have the old fuel pump that leaks, going to the easier vacuum hose so it would not be as hard to take off at night. Mine is an 08, so it has the new plastic, vs the 05 rage would have.

Heck, if you're going to keep having to do this for a while I'd buy a long enough hose so you can gain easy access to it, put in an inline shut off valve were you can easily turn it off and on.

Heck, if you're going to keep having to do this for a while I'd buy a long enough hose so you can gain easy access to it, put in an inline shut off valve were you can easily turn it off and on.
That is a great idea!!! Where do you think they would have a shut off valve so I could by one? It is a wicked pain to keep doing this, but at least I can still get some riding in.

That is a great idea!!! Where do you think they would have a shut off valve so I could by one? It is a wicked pain to keep doing this, but at least I can still get some riding in.

Any lawn and garden, motorcycle, ATV or snowmobile shop will have them. You don't need anything fancy, just a simple fuel shutoff valve with the correct diameter inlet/outlet.

Any lawn and garden, motorcycle, ATV or snowmobile shop will have them. You don't need anything fancy, just a simple fuel shutoff valve with the correct diameter inlet/outlet.
Yup got ya. Do you happen to know the diameter of the vacuum hose? So I can get the shut off.

Yup got ya. Do you happen to know the diameter of the vacuum hose? So I can get the shut off.

No I do not. Best guess is that it's 1/4" or more likely some metric size like 7mm. I remember replacing one of the vent lines on my 05 vector. And what I bought was just a little bit too small but it did work. You're going to have to tear your front end apart anyway to install this so you might as well take it apart and measure the hose yourself.

No I do not. Best guess is that it's 1/4" or more likely some metric size like 7mm. I remember replacing one of the vent lines on my 05 vector. And what I bought was just a little bit too small but it did work. You're going to have to tear your front end apart anyway to install this so you might as well take it apart and measure the hose yourself.
Yup, got ya. It is all apart right now anyways. Will measure and see about getting one, to finish the year off of snowmobiling. Just heard from the Yamaha dealer, my floats where out of whack. They are adjusted to how they should be, and the dealer bench tested the carbs to make sure they do not leak, and they do not. Things might be looking up for this sled, other than it need still another fuel pump.

Yup, got ya. It is all apart right now anyways. Will measure and see about getting one, to finish the year off of snowmobiling. Just heard from the Yamaha dealer, my floats where out of whack. They are adjusted to how they should be, and the dealer bench tested the carbs to make sure they do not leak, and they do not. Things might be looking up for this sled, other than it need still another fuel pump.

Put the carbs back on and see what happens. Who knows...you might not need another fuel pump.

It has happened to me two times now. Just happened a seconded time today, what happens is when the motor is cold, I go to crank on it. It starts cranking, then binds up. As most of you guys know I just replaced the starter and starter relay. The battery has a full charge. When it binds up, or what ever you guys call it, I have all I can do to spin the primary clutch the way it is suppose to spin. The compression is that hard, the starter does not even have the power to spin the motor over. Ok, so after I spin the primary clutch by hand ( half of a turn or so) it frees up, and the motor starts great. It runs great, starts great when warm, and when cold mostly ( like I said, it has only does this twice). Like a week ago, I went out to start it, same thing happened, and then again today. Any thoughts guys?

One more thing to check is your belt to tight ? It should ride even with the Secondary . If you have it adjusted to ride out of the top of the secondary then the belt will squeal and when cool the secondary is almost impossible to turn with a tight belt and the reverse will be hard to operate. You can adjust the belt deflection in 3 mins buy taking the Secondary off and adding or subtracting washers from the ( 3) 6mm screws on the back side of clutch . Add washers to tighten and remove to loosen.

This sucks, if it is not one thing it is another. Just so you guys know, the sled is running, just want you opinions on what this could be. Btw, I changed the antifreeze also when I replaced the starter. 50/50 mix. The sled runs so great when it is going, lol.

If it's not one sled then it's another ! I think you have like 16k on this sled and it still does over 100MPH on the lake ! How many other brands after not touching the motor will do this and still put that smile on your face !! :4STroke:

Put the carbs back on and see what happens. Who knows...you might not need another fuel pump.
Yup, I am going to do just that, when I get the carbs back tomorrow. I am buying the fuel shut off, and new hosing for the vacuum on the old fuel pump, so even if it does leak, I can just quickly turn it to keep the motor from filling up. I will let you guys know how it goes.

One more thing to check is your belt to tight ? It should ride even with the Secondary . If you have it adjusted to ride out of the top of the secondary then the belt will squeal and when cool the secondary is almost impossible to turn with a tight belt and the reverse will be hard to operate. You can adjust the belt deflection in 3 mins buy taking the Secondary off and adding or subtracting washers from the ( 3) 6mm screws on the back side of clutch . Add washers to tighten and remove to loosen.
Yup, I have the washers, and the belt is level with the secondary. I know all about adjusting the clutches, on how the belt rides up and down. The belt is riding perfect. Not squealing at all, and not to loose either.

Back