• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hard Starting 07 700 (only with cold temps.)

thegrizzly1

Lifetime Member
Ever since day 01, my Grizzly 700 doesn't seem to crank as fast as my previous 660's or my Kodiak 400. It has always been a hard starter when temps get much below -10f. This past it sat on a trailer overnight in -22f temps right next to a 2000 Kodiak 400. The 400 started fine, but the grizz would barely turn over. I pushed it into an unheated garage for a day and it fired up the next day. I do know my valves and clearance are good. I had the battery replaced in 08, so I'm sure a new battery is in line, but even when the battery was new, it has always been a bear (no pun intended) to start in sub 0 temps. Is there anyone on this site who lives in a northern/cold climate where they have success in regular starting in -20 degree weather?

Is there a bigger/badder battery I can purchase that will fit in the stock location, or am I stuck fabricating a second battery box and hooking up a second battery?

I always thought a grizzly with a set of tracks would be awesome for tooling around on, but getting that full of snow and not having the option of putting to bed in a heated garage every night, I don't think it would start half the winter.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

1st question, what oil are you using? Brother starts his rhino 700 at -40 for lowing snow but he does have a trickle charger on it at those temps and 0w30 in it for motor oil. Uses the winch with the plow and does not run it long enough usually for it to charge up on its own.

Back