• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlights

Can you please elaborate on this some more? I have the sledstart kit on mine. I love it. High and low beam work very well, and give a different pattern. My Gf has the Rock kit. She wanted it because it costs less. When I adjust it so that the low beam works well, it seems that the high beam is in the sky, and therefore useless. I thought maybe it was just me. Your comment makes me think there is more to the story and I'm not the only one with this issue.

This has been a long standing issue with the Cat sleds with this chassis until this year when they finally updated the '17 headlight housing to fix the spread between low/high beams. Before, no matter how much you tried to adjust the lights, you really only could get either the low or the high beam to your liking. If you have Rock's HIDs, I believe he has a fix for the HIDs that you can send your lights to him and have him fix it for a smaller fee. Your other option would be to order the '17 headlight housing for a little over $100, which works awesome with Rock's HIDs. Either option should work for you and comes down to what you want to spend.

Can you please elaborate on this some more? I have the sledstart kit on mine. I love it. High and low beam work very well, and give a different pattern. My Gf has the Rock kit. She wanted it because it costs less. When I adjust it so that the low beam works well, it seems that the high beam is in the sky, and therefore useless. I thought maybe it was just me. Your comment makes me think there is more to the story and I'm not the only one with this issue.

I have had the same issue with the rock kit. I called rock and sent lamps in for an update that cost 10.00 bucks in June. after my first trip with the updated lamps I found it wasnt much better. I adjusted for hi beam usage first and low beam was still to low. frustrated at this point I took the kit out; and changed headlight housing to a 2017 housing and put stock bulbs back in. not perfect but better so I could at least ride at night. my rocks high beam did not penetrate down the trail enough to see well enough at night. I was tired of taking the thing apart just to be able to ride at night. I have not had enough snow at my house to test lights out so I was in the u.p. and did not want to take hood off and work on it in a hotel parking lot. I took sled to meyer yamaha and they changed it out for me so I could enjoy the rest of my riding trip. I would be very happy if somebody came up with an adjuster rod for this chassis that you could adjust on the fly. pulling over and getting that socket in there to adjust at night is a pain. I did not try the rocks kit with the 2017 headlight housing. rocks kit and or 2014 headlight housing is for sale cheap!
cleardot.gif

Last edited:
I have had the same issue with the rock kit. I called rock and sent lamps in for an update that cost 10.00 bucks in June. after my first trip with the updated lamps I found it wasnt much better. I adjusted for hi beam usage first and low beam was still to low. frustrated at this point I took the kit out; and changed headlight housing to a 2017 housing and put stock bulbs back in. not perfect but better so I could at least ride at night. my rocks high beam did not penetrate down the trail enough to see well enough at night. I was tired of taking the thing apart just to be able to ride at night. I have not had enough snow at my house to test lights out so I was in the u.p. and did not want to take hood off and work on it in a hotel parking lot. I took sled to meyer yamaha and they changed it out for me so I could enjoy the rest of my riding trip. I would be very happy if somebody came up with an adjuster rod for this chassis that you could adjust on the fly. pulling over and getting that socket in there to adjust at night is a pain. I did not try the rocks kit with the 2017 headlight housing. rocks kit and or 2014 headlight housing is for sale cheap!
cleardot.gif

So you didn't use Rocks HIDs in the new '17 Housing? Now that the high beam is correct with the new housing, the HID light down the trail is so much better than stock lights. For me, it's not even a close comparison between the stock lights and HIDs.

So you didn't use Rocks HIDs in the new '17 Housing? Now that the high beam is correct with the new housing, the HID light down the trail is so much better than stock lights. For me, it's not even a close comparison between the stock lights and HIDs.

Putz21 can you see a difference with naked eye between the two housings? Just curious. I ordered the 2017 and I have a 2014 sled. Just wondering if you can see a difference in the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putz21 can you see a difference with naked eye between the two housings? Just curious. I ordered the 2017 and I have a 2014 sled. Just wondering if you can see a difference in the two.

When I glanced at both, I couldn't see a difference...but again, I didn't look super close comparing the two. I believe somebody else on here said they could see a difference. Either way, the new one works! :)

no I didnt use the rocks kit. like I said at the time I just wanted to see the trail in the dark and not have to mess with my headlight adjuster on the trail. I was more interested in riding then wrenching on my trip. If I dont sell the kit I will put it back in and try it again on your good luck with the rocks and 2017 housingwhen we ever get snow again in S.E. WI area. When I go to the U.P. I want to ride not wrench! I try to get dialed in at home so I dont hold up my buddies and the group by tinkering with my sled.

Is this only an issue with Rocks kit? I have not noticed it with the sledstart kit. Maybe I got lucky, or I'm just not noticing?

Stock lights for sure. Others I don't know. My Rock HIDs worked the same as stock lights in terms of the spread between low and high beam. Maybe the sledstart kit adjusted theirs to fix the spread.

2084e9311c5d0bfae447dbeb7c89e342.jpg
159d3409dfc5a67ee8a6f5ff10ee7382.jpg
here in the 1st picture is my 2014 headlight assembly. Next picture is the new 2017 I ordered. You can see there is a difference in the reflector fins on the inside of assembly.

Here is my low beam and high beam with the new 2017 assembly. Look alright or does the low beam need to come up. The reach on the high beam is crazy far. Way better then the LED's I had.
1bef8a69c848c900a28fa77ff9324fb2.jpg
25699415a5970fd2834fe2cc79cd818b.jpg

Here is my low beam and high beam with the new 2017 assembly. Look alright or does the low beam need to come up. The reach on the high beam is crazy far. Way better then the LED's I had.
1bef8a69c848c900a28fa77ff9324fb2.jpg
25699415a5970fd2834fe2cc79cd818b.jpg

Picture 1 I don't see blue high beam indicator, Picture 2 I do, it still looks like same problem, when high beam is good low beam is still to low.

Last edited:
Picture 1 I don't see blue high beam indicator, Picture 2 I do, lets keep this even.

The pictures are of my low beam and high beam with the HID kit. I didn't post showing the LED's. Just stating the high beam on the HID reach is way better then what my LEDs were.

Back