• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heated Visor plug melt down

Indy

TY 4 Stroke God
I was having to deal with my old sled not wanting to start, cranking it over a lot until it started. I noticed a little smoke coming from the battery area, checked it out and it was the heated shield wires, they melted. So what could have gone wrong?

Is it fused near the battery like it should be??
My guess is that the wire has rubbed thru some where and is grounding out or you have a long lead on our cord and it has rested on the chassis and shorted out.

No it was not fused. I just installed it last month. Direct to the battery like the instructions suggested. I was cranking the sled for awhile.

No it was not fused. I just installed it last month. Direct to the battery like the instructions suggested. I was cranking the sled for awhile.
Anything connected to the battery should be fused. Just in case anything would ever ground out the electrical system is protected.
I have seen automotive batteries burned and blistered because some did not fuse their big @zz amp wire and complete wiring harnesses burnt due to a component grounding out and back feeding the system.

Is the wire broken anywhere to cause a high enough draw to melt the wires? Where you plug in your shield to your helmet do you have a long lead that can hit the tunnel or floor boards. I see this multiple times a year where people disconnect mid way from the helmet to the sled. The cord falls and grounds out on the tunnel

Is the wire broken anywhere to cause a high enough draw to melt the wires? Where you plug in your shield to your helmet do you have a long lead that can hit the tunnel or floor boards. I see this multiple times a year where people disconnect mid way from the helmet to the sled. The cord falls and grounds out on the tunnel
x2

That just happened to me last weekend and blew the big 3 amp fuse.

Did it melt near the battery terminal? You said it was cranking, that would have heated up the terminal and probably melted the thin wire as it can not take much heat.

yes it melted right at the battery while cranking the engine over, she wouldnt start, so I was cranking it a lot. There was no rubbing or grounding, the sled hadn't been ridden with the wires installed.

When you crank over the sled next time, touch the positive terminal. It gets HOT. Especially if the screw is not super tight. This heat transfers to the tiny wires in the visor cord and they melt. It from conduction, not a short I bet. I had it happen to a quad with a battery tender wire.

OK, thanks, that makes since. I guess i'll call castle and get another hook up and try it again.

Throw a fuse inline right at the battery [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back