• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heavy steering issue

I have set up the suspension, and I agree that front spring is way too weak, big improvement to be had there, but it still doesn't work nearly as well as my 14 LTX, and yes I know the track and length and ski stance are influencing things. Here is a comparison. There isn't a huge difference, but it seems to be a factor for mine. I am changing skis now, but if that doesn't get me where I want to be, I am going to look at the 16 geometry and see if that is better.
20150310_061815.jpg

20150310_061706.jpg

I put the 140# spring in mine. While yes it did help, the biggest change so far I've made to steering effort is changing skis. Last weekend I borrowed a set of Poo Gripper skis. Wow, huge difference!! Much better than the Cat ski or the Slydog Powderhound 8"

I put the 140# spring in mine. While yes it did help, the biggest change so far I've made to steering effort is changing skis. Last weekend I borrowed a set of Poo Gripper skis. Wow, huge difference!! Much better than the Cat ski or the Slydog Powderhound 8"

Yes, I ran the poo grippers on my 2014 M8 and have something very similar on my Viper.

This is out of Yamaha's Tech Update

2015 Features and Benefits

Item Description

• Lightweight aluminum spindles are forged for added strength.

• Tall length allows efficient A-arm spacing to reduce stress and flex.

• Distributes the load evenly.

• Reducing leverage on the upper frame components for greater

chassis strength.

• Geometry (caster / camber / trail) is optimized for deep snow

steering ability (shorter steering arm as illustrated).

• Steel bulkhead sub-frame, provides rigid mounting points for shocks

and A-arms which reduces flex for more accurate shock calibration.

• The top a-arm includes the ball joint, eliminating the need for a

captive spindle ball joint. This in turn reduces weight and friction for a

smoother suspension stroke.

• Narrow A-arms allow the ski stance to be 38 ~ 39 inches for sidehilling

and deep snow riding.

M-TX Front Suspension

I guess the reason I didn't see any difference is the XTX and MTX are the same chassis just narrower front end. I have never compared front to the LTX or RTX as we do not have any out here.

What would a ac 160 spring have come in stock id like to try and find a used one locally because my dealer does not have it

Installed the cat 160# spring Monday. On the package it says 160/260 is that the start and finish rates or is this a duel rate spring? Left spring is the 110lb Right spring is the 160lb
20150112_121321_zps3ynmxnnq.jpg

One thing i felt was odd is that i had to screw the adjuster nut about half way up just to get the nut to touch the spring(both springs were the same length)
This pic is with no preload on the spring

20150112_122145_zpsvkkhpz1x.jpg

With all the extra threads not being used i wonder if there would be any benifits to using a longer spring. Booth stock spring and the spring i put on measure 7.75" in free length. I wonder if a 9.5" spring like the 140lb 1703-801 AC will fit and what would be the gain from it
20150112_122550_zpsmfmc2uvh.jpg

I just got to work today and wont be able to test this set up for a couple of weeks
Has anyone tried the 140# 9.5" spring?

The ZBROS spring is longer than stock that is why I went that way. 20-0-800-160 is the 160 pound spring part number

With my Viper XTX with the center spring dialed down to about 12 trends and my rear shock at 120 PSI the sled acts like a pogo stick in the tough trails. Would putting in this spring make it worst?

With my Viper XTX with the center spring dialed down to about 12 trends and my rear shock at 120 PSI the sled acts like a pogo stick in the tough trails. Would putting in this spring make it worst?

Not sure anything can make it worse than stock ;)

Its a quick and easy test, try it and see.

Bump to top after getting more information requests. Please note that the info I get is that Cat lengthened the spring on the 2016 by 1.5 inches so even they realize the mistake.

Does this concern the 2016 Viper MTX also? Ive ordered a stantard MTX with HPG shocks instead of Fox float, just wondering if this 160 spring fits this.
Also, where do i find the Zbroz spring? Cant locate it on their website.

Does this concern the 2016 Viper MTX also? Ive ordered a stantard MTX with HPG shocks instead of Fox float, just wondering if this 160 spring fits this.
Also, where do i find the Zbroz spring? Cant locate it on their website.

Good question as I have not seen that one yet. Literature said they were putting a spring 1.25 inches longer in the 16's. You can tell though easy, try to pick the front off the ground. If you have the right spring you can and if it is still the 110 spring it will take a huge man to pick it up. I am 160 pounds weight and I can pick my 162 track Viper front off the ground.

I
Good question as I have not seen that one yet. Literature said they were putting a spring 1.25 inches longer in the 16's. You can tell though easy, try to pick the front off the ground. If you have the right spring you can and if it is still the 110 spring it will take a huge man to pick it up. I am 160 pounds weight and I can pick my 162 track Viper front off the ground.
I will be surprised if it comes with the standard 160 spring. Where at Zbroz do you gind that spring? Can't find it.

Back