• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helix shims tryout

Motorhead

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 SW LTX-LE
After hearing about all the problems with secondary spring coil bind and causing belts to blow, I tried the .070 helix shim trick.
Trailered sleds to the big trails in the region known to us Mainers as the county. The place that burns up 2 strokes with it's long straight railbeds, and turns even the Sidewinder into a mild sled after an hour or 2 of riding.
So, first day with shimmed helix and spring set on 6-1 I felt that I lost some low and midrange and because of the amount of loose snow on the well groomed trails, I also was not proud of the top end while spinning @ 8350 WOT.

Second day the shims came out and left the spring @ 6-1.
During this quick change out I noticed that my helix has some scratches on it's outside diameter top that were not there prior to this shimming. Had to be touching the secondary sheave during the opening shift ?? Not sure about that last statement whereas we were there to ride and not test so I just put it together and took off.
First pull with cold clutches was at 8950, from then on with warm clutches 8850 would fall off to 8650. Best of all this thing was back. Low and midrange are really strong for a stock sled, and top end was much better.
So in a couple of days I shall look into the helix/ secondary sheave scratching thing and hope it is not a bad bushing already, but I will say that the shimming thing reminded me of a speed ring that I bought many years ago for my Aaen tricked 97 SX. That speed ring did not work for me then either.

450 hard miles in the county, now have 980 miles on my sled and on original belt.
Hoping to hit the county again once the trails get hard and fast, this time with machined spring pocket.

Back