• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP - 03 RX 1 CLUTCH RATTLE AT IDLE

Ohio Rider

Veteran
My clutch rattles at idle. I give it just a little throttle and it stops...any ides what this could be and what is the fix...very annoying...

As yamrx1 says there is an updated slider kit for the '03 primary clutch. I have it installed on my '03 RX-1, it did take off some of the rattle, but not all. There will still be some noise which are coming off the sprockets on the gear reduction inside the engine, this rattle is normal on the '03 rx-1. These sprockets where cut different on later models and reduced the rattle significantly.

Thanks Blue Shadow. I orderd the kit from my local Yamaha shop...only $12.95...money well spent if it reduces some of the rattle... after I install it and find out how much it actually reduced it...I will ever so slowey raise the idle to make up the difference.

It's on order now and I will probably ne istalling it in October. I will post right after I install it neonblue!!

Whits-end

How difficult is it to syncronize the carbs? Also, after installing the slider kit what would be a good idle speed?

Sorry for the delay.

Synch isn't that hard, you need a manometer (water or mercury stick) and patience. A 4 tube unit is easiest.

There is a thread with a good procedure, just do a search.

Idle speed is personal preference, but I could cure most of the rattling and still keep it down to about 1800.

My 05 RX-1 started to rattle quite a bit last season. From reading here I also assumed it was partially due to the gear reduction and tried the "recommended fixes" (carb sync, idle).

As part of my regular maintenance I noticed the clutch spider slides were starting to get out of spec so I shimmed them for snug, but nicely sliding fit. The clutch rattle 100% went away - even at lower idle rpms (cold engine).

At least on the 05 RX-1 the clutch rattle (in my experience) is almost entirely due to worn spider slides in the clutch.

The o-ring kit might also work. I didn't install it.

After shimming the clutch and putting over 9000 additional kms on the sled, the clutch was still very quiet.

Back