• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help Overheat issues!!

We have only seen one customer so far with overheat issues. This was due to a air pocket/ vapor lock. After elevating the front of sled and purging the air out of the system he has not had any problems since.

Procedure used to rectify.
Elevate front of sled 6-8" above rear cooler. Run sled until up to temp. 170+ ish. Lower sled and add coolant as needed. ( in this case we had to add approx 1qt.)

If no air in exchanger,than add water wetter and make sure your antifreeze is mixed 60/40 and add scratchers,cheap insurance for 90 bucks,our sleds run 172 f but have gone into limp mode first time out to,before doing a few things,add frogskin to grill to keep snow from building up and blocking intercooler.

Well a little update, a few days ago I parked the sled on a snow bank so front end was up and let it warm up and pulled the cap for the reservoir and let it run for a while. Ran the next two days with no issues, even when it was plus 5 degrees out sled was fine. Well snow was packy and then froze over night so was fairly hard today and I had over heat issues again, went into limp mode twice. Even when the trails got chewed up a bit still was running like 88 degrees. When trails finally got really chewed up I would run 78 but at times go up to 86 and then back down to 79. When I get home I am going to check the coolant and see what the ratio is at. No other sled on the trail was having over heat issues. I really hope Yamaha has put that limp mode low enough so this doesn't cause any harm to the engine.

Damn man! I was hoping your silence meant you fixed it.

Ya I know I wish it was good, having a hell of a time over heating again today. Was -24 this morning warmed up to -7 now but the thing is constantly over heating. Snow is hard but pretty ripped up a lot of loose grainy ice snow getting thrown anywhere and the thing doesn't want to stay cool. I wish they would of put a rad and fan in like the viper I never had issues over heating with that thing

I have had issues with overheat also. Been in limp mode maybe 3 times in 1850 miles.. These things are very sensitive to snow conditions. Especially EARLY morning when things are really tight. The snow flap is to far off ground when sitting on sled

Last edited:
Reactions: krm
Sat morning youngest was riding Phazer. Slow ride temp light was on most of morning in first stage. No blinking. No performance loss. You guys sure it's not just a warning? Viper was running 190f whole time unless I sped up then dropped to 100 quickly. No light at all.

Well a little update, a few days ago I parked the sled on a snow bank so front end was up and let it warm up and pulled the cap for the reservoir and let it run for a while. Ran the next two days with no issues, even when it was plus 5 degrees out sled was fine. Well snow was packy and then froze over night so was fairly hard today and I had over heat issues again, went into limp mode twice. Even when the trails got chewed up a bit still was running like 88 degrees. When trails finally got really chewed up I would run 78 but at times go up to 86 and then back down to 79. When I get home I am going to check the coolant and see what the ratio is at. No other sled on the trail was having over heat issues. I really hope Yamaha has put that limp mode low enough so this doesn't cause any harm to the engine.
You've got an issue. Today I ran with another winder. We left from home warm day. +2 c. The sled is sensitive to snow but never seen limp mode.

I find it runs at 76 all the time. But if I run up the road it gets hot fast. I think a rad with fan is needed.

I do not run scratchers.

I ran my scratchers this weekend, same conditions frozen stiff in the early morning then granular then to soup, sled actually ran 2degree celcious cooler with scratchers deployed then in snow condition. Didn't need them all the time, only to pack up the skid with snow and it be good for a while, then repeated when necessary.

You've got an issue. Today I ran with another winder. We left from home warm day. +2 c. The sled is sensitive to snow but never seen limp mode.

I find it runs at 76 all the time. But if I run up the road it gets hot fast. I think a rad with fan is needed.

I do not run scratchers.

Ya the sled ran great when it was +5 C snow was soft and able to keep sled cool but once it froze up again base was hard it would go into limp mode a lot. When riding and you look back snow is being thrown all over the place but snow flap is not routing it up to heat exchanger its just shooting out the back of the sled, a lot of ice chunks and grainy snow, so I think issue was the conditions. Going to check coolant to water ratio and use engine ice or something. Talked to the dealer about it and said even though it went into limp mode a lot it wont do any damage to the engine, since they have designed it to go into limp mode low enough. Limp mode was 98 C (208F) would start to bog so I would stop and shut off immediately, temp light would also flash. Sounds like this is the first stage and that when it gets warmer temp light will stay on and then if going slow enough or stopped engine will shut off before doing damage, at least this is what the dealer is telling me.

I too was out yesterday at 2c, hard packed trails. No issues at all, temp was steady at 76c and was my first time wot! WoW! Hit 190 at 8850rpm, did this 4 times consecutive. Never overheated. Stock everything studded. No issues what so ever.
Im wondering if it wasn't studded it might have overheated? Not sure! Awesome sled!

I have a Sidewinder BT-X (SE, 153” 1.75 BC Track) and have had all kinds of issues with it overheating since new! Please read through as it seems this has ultimately cost me the engine!

At first I attributed to an air pocket, but after adding and adding water it seems its using/losing coolant somewhere! I’m not a mechanic and rely on the dealer to perform all work, but a couple of the guys from our club are (professional) mechanics and after witnessing these issues are now all in agreement there’s more to the problem.

The issue seems to be highlighted when riding and then stop for 5-10 minutes, when you start it up it immediately goes into limp mode. Knowing there is the smaller heat exchanger in the rear on the B-TX model, I’m careful after take-off from a stop (and especially in these instances) to immediately hit some deep fresh snow to load the skid and tunnel with (when stopped for a period, the snow melts/falls from the heat exchanger).

This is my 4th new Yamaha snowmobile in the last 7 years, and first MAJOR issue I’ve encountered with any of them. I’m super frustrated (and downright pissed at this point) as it’s ruined every ride I’ve taken on it. Due to the snow conditions near home this season, I’ve been forced to trailer 3-4 hours north to find good snow; it’s sure mess when you’re in the middle of the Northwood’s and you encounter these issues. Needless to say, I’ve spent a lot of time alone on the side of the trail trying to get this thing to cool down so I can ride it while NOT in limp mode.

## UPDATE ## My last ride this past weekend (fresh 13” snow, ungroomed trails) I encountered the same issues, but this time resulted in black smoke out of engine and windshield/panels along with pulp coming out of the exhaust. It’s clear the engine is toast and now the sled us sitting at the dealer awaiting to be torn apart. Not only is my concern they resolve the original overheating issue (in addition to the result engine issues), but my bigger concern is that if the heat has done this damage to the motor what other internal components have been severely stressed/compromised (ie; did not fail currently but will down the road).

Here’s the details/what I’ve attempted:

1. Use ice scratchers regularly (even when show conditions don’t require), every time I stop I look to confirm the heat exchangers are getting plenty of fresh snow. (mechanic friends observed and agree that is NOT the issue)

2. After stops and frequently while riding (trails) I ride the side and go off trail to pack the rear full of fresh snow, again heat exchangers have plenty of fresh snow on them.

3. At cold starts I’ve taken the radiator cap off and ran engine while adding water until full, then fill the overflow reservoir to the full line at ‘Cold’

4. Did the same procedure in #3 above on snowbank where front end was much higher than rear (to eliminate any potential air locks)

5. Had in to Yamaha dealer for break-in services at 90 miles and 550 miles and complained of the overheating and coolant usage, dealer has been unable to locate anything wrong other than low coolant level. I requested they pressure test and examine further, as the coolant is going somewhere (they could not locate any issues and attributed to burping/air).

6. Overflow reservoir never overflows/fills, level always only goes down.

7. Engine oil is at normal level and does not seem to be pressurized/foaming.

8. Radiator cap is secure and tight, no coolant leaking from there (or overflow tank).

9. Regularly monitor to ensure snow is not blocking the front intakes.

10. I’ve let dry off and then started/idled to see if I could spot a leak/puddle, but nothing!

11. Seems to occur at all air temps, frigid temps (below zero) may slightly decrease occurrences (?).

12. Riders behind me do not report any suspect odors from exhaust (until recently with black smoke)

13. It’s completely stock, and followed proper break-in procedures.

14. Due to the overheating issues I’m careful not to let it idle while not in motion, although from discovery it seems if it’s only going to sit for 1-2 minutes it’s better to leave running rather than turn off engine (due to engine heat soak?)

Last edited:
You asked me nicely and I'm sorry but I'm back at my hotel and 3 beers deep and I didn't read the whole thing. I'm in Quebec for a last hurrah and the SideWinder is one hot bitch because of the recent rain then very hard freeze. I'm may be stupid crazy or both but when she gets hot she wants more. More snow I mean. When overheating I pushed her hard to get her out of limp mode. Ice be damned. Moguls #*$&@ them. More throttle. Wouldn't ya know it. Theres a sweet spot. She might need scratchers (who doesn't) but I don't have them so I just kept riding to satisfy her. She gets enough eventually.

You asked me nicely and I'm sorry but I'm back at my hotel and 3 beers deep and I didn't read the whole thing. I'm in Quebec for a last hurrah and the SideWinder is one hot bitch because of the recent rain then very hard freeze. I'm may be stupid crazy or both but when she gets hot she wants more. More snow I mean. When overheating I pushed her hard to get her out of limp mode. Ice be damned. Moguls #*$&@ them. More throttle. Wouldn't ya know it. Theres a sweet spot. She might need scratchers (who doesn't) but I don't have them so I just kept riding to satisfy her. She gets enough eventually.
LOL You had me rooting for ya! When in doubt Pin It!

Back