• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

High Idle

Gilly76

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder L-TX SE
Noticed I wasn't getting typical torque braking into corners. Pulled over and the revs were 2300 at idle. Popped the throttle a couple times and it eventually came down to normal at 1500. Happened a few times now with only 200mi on it. Any ideas? I dropped it off at the dealer today but they didn't seem to confident in a solution.

Noticed I wasn't getting typical torque braking into corners. Pulled over and the revs were 2300 at idle. Popped the throttle a couple times and it eventually came down to normal at 1500. Happened a few times now with only 200mi on it. Any ideas? I dropped it off at the dealer today but they didn't seem to confident in a solution.
My ltx le has done the same also! . Dealer looked dumb founded and said they never seen or heard of that. I'm starting too think my sled is the lemon. It does go like hell when primary spring isn't binding

I guess I cant seem to understand torque braking,these sidewinders have very little engine braking,but how would that relate to idle,when ideling,it has no effect on driving down trails though,other than this,does it run good,rpms where they should be,not run hot,we have had our share of minor glitches with this new model,but I would say over all,it is a hit,you cant please everyone all the time,so it is what it is I guess.

The engine is great!clutches have issues n chassis is crap quality arctic scrap and skis were a miss. And I guess spending 19k is........ well it is what it is!

I have noticed on fast trails that if you keep your revs up while cornering engine braking is almost none. Let it idle down when coming into a corner and it engine breaks much more.

Also noticed that if you run your belt up high in secondary with more twist you will get more engine breaking and visa versa.

The engine is great!clutches have issues n chassis is crap quality arctic scrap and skis were a miss. And I guess spending 19k is........ well it is what it is!

I too am having clutch issues with a sled that is just breaking in. Have had many Yamahas' with no clutch issues for many miles. Theses new clutches need some More R&D I guess! Wow to your 19K!

Gotta say that I may have experienced the same. Thought it was my imagination, but now your saying it as well. I noticed it when letting off and coming to a stop. I normally time it pretty good and don't need to use much brake. A few times, however, I had to grab a handful just to stop. Freaked me out thinking my throttle was sticking. I would burp the throttle after stopped to see if I could get idle down. Also pushed throttle opposite way to make sure it was closing all the way. Doesn’t do it all the time and only started acting this way over the 700 mile mark.

My idle was hanging too drove itself up the side of the road one night with no hand on the throttle, looked everywhere for vacuum leaks with no joy. I was going to take it into the dealer but, I have 600 miles on now and it seems to have cleared up, mine was now and again not always so I'm keeping an eye on it.

With new set up there is "No" engine braking, takes a while to get used to it. I have been on Yamy sleds since 03 and had a hard time adjusting to no engine braking, especially at low speeds!
Chassis is f ing amazing, just learn how to set it, and change the skis to anything else and you are good to go!
Just my opinion and observations, YMMV

The Engine Braking Control should be done doing its job very quickly. If it prevents you from stopping there is something else going on. Be safe let a dealer look at it if nothing can be found yourself.

mine hung up for a short bit one night, 2500 rpm at a stop sign. only once for maybe 15 seconds after 1 hr of 50 - 80 steady highway in single digit temps. mine also backfired through muffler once, sunny rapidly warming and 28f. anytime you have 9 sensors controlling something there is risk of a glitch somewhere in the pathway. BUT, sled only has 400 very easy highway miles on it with a few short wot blasts. love this sled! when debugged they are going to be a lot of fun for many years.

I have to say I notice MORE engine braking with different helix. Wrapped at 6/1 with straight 38 it damn near threw me over bars. A ton of backshift- to much for me. I went 3/3 and it's perfect . I know it shouldn't matter but I'm saying the clutching makes a BIG diff in engine braking and noticing it.

Bring your sled into your dealer and have them do a fuel pressure test on it, more then likely the elbow from the fuel pressure regulator is undersized, its the red elbow that goes into the tank, more then likely the fuel pressure will be reading very high, just had one in the shop with this issue

Bring your sled into your dealer and have them do a fuel pressure test on it, more then likely the elbow from the fuel pressure regulator is undersized, its the red elbow that goes into the tank, more then likely the fuel pressure will be reading very high, just had one in the shop with this issue
Is it covered under warranty?

Back