• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

High pressure in chaincase?

Wannaviper

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX SE; 2019 Sidewinder DX LTX; 2013 Vector LTX; 2014 Viper XTX SE; 2013 SRX 120
I just got a call from my dealer that when they went to change the oil in my 2015 Phazer, the oil spurted out under extreme high pressure. They are going to explore as to the cause. Has anyone heard of, or experienced this, and if so, any ideas on potential causes? Thanks in advance!

AFAIK, the chaincase isn't vented but I can see it happening if the sled went from a cold environment to a warm one and the air expands. Shouldn't be extreme pressure though. You would think that oil would leak out from the seals since they're not made to retain pressure. There's no other way for pressure to accumulate in there. Just watch out that the dealer isn't trying to 'make" work.

AFAIK, the chaincase isn't vented but I can see it happening if the sled went from a cold environment to a warm one and the air expands. Shouldn't be extreme pressure though. You would think that oil would leak out from the seals since they're not made to retain pressure. There's no other way for pressure to accumulate in there. Just watch out that the dealer isn't trying to 'make" work.
Thank you Mooseman. I would be curious to know if anyone knows definitively whether there is a vent or vents because the dealer just called to say that grease was packed in the vent and they cleaned it out curing the problem. So far, I have had good luck with this dealer and service department; I will have to see how much they added to the bill as a result of this, and perhaps I will have a better idea of whether it was "make work"! Thanks again.

There is a vent of a kind but a blob of grease is supposed to be in it. You can see it in the shop manual below in the callout.
image.png

Thank you Mooseman. I would be curious to know if anyone knows definitively whether there is a vent or vents because the dealer just called to say that grease was packed in the vent and they cleaned it out curing the problem. So far, I have had good luck with this dealer and service department; I will have to see how much they added to the bill as a result of this, and perhaps I will have a better idea of whether it was "make work"! Thanks again.
My 14 had that exact issue.
Park in shop after riding and it would suck in melting water. Warrenty sent me a shaft seal thinking that was issue. Srx twins did it for me and found the vent (built into case gasket) was plugged with grease from factory.
My levels and case oil have been fine since.
No problems since.

Back