• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How I moved my steering column forward 4 1/2 inches...

You could propably move it about an inch less than mine. That would place the plastic bushing right against the structure. Mine is set out from the structure with the 1 in angle. I am not sure if it would be enough to not impact the stock pod.

Interesting thread. I still think the best place for the gauge pod is on the handlebars. Maybe somebody could be convinced to produce custom tank covers that eliminate the hole.

why didnt you just by some fly risers bars and a pivot adapter and pivot it foward like i did to mine i can move my bars 3.5 inches foward with out all the fabbing

That'll work. I already had my bars straight up and it still felt like the sled's weight was way out front, especially while climbing. It had a tendency to oversteer when going vertical. I had to maintain my balance just right or the sled would fall off on some unplanned trajectory. I thought about rotaing them further forward, but I figured it would look funny (as if it doesn't look funny now). I guess the main reason I did it is I just like to mess with the sled. What makes the RX1 so great is that the motor and drive train are so good and the rest is so over engineered. Consequently, there is a ton of aftermarket stuff available and any of it will make a considerable improvement in the sleds perfomance. A manufacturer releases a perfect sled and all you can do is ride it. You miss out on half the fun.

Talked to murray at mountain mod about making a new cowl with no post hole. I plan on doing this mod to my sled so we will fit a new cowl later in the summer. Stay tuned.

I think Yamaha factory reps would be impressed..nice work should be great in mountains! :pics: ;)! :Rockon:

i beleave tj sports makes a steering relocation kit like what you have done original tetonice has one on his sled he had some pics on snow west of it i will see if i can find them i will be doin the same to my mtvec this year during my mod project. he has some sort of alum cowling covering that part of his sled.

about the chassie the only thing differnt is mostly stuff you can replace the basic chassie is the same it has a new higher seat moved the bars 6 inches forward . vector a-arms & spindels & from the time i spent around the apex you could probly put the apex panels on your rx by fall you will probly be able to get the parts to mount the bars the same as the apex. oh yah you cant put the fuely on the rx but iam sure you can get it to feel and handle the same.

That is a very interesting setup, I like the fact that you included instructions. I presently am reattaching the right front bulkhead, I landed on a rock hidden by the snow. Thanks for the info.

I received a PM from someone who has experienced an interference between the steering post lower arm and the gas tank when relocating his steering forward. I have an MPI post and have clearance (1/4in). Has anyone else experienced an interference?

i would be the one that emailed kachess. everything went fairly smoothly. I might have just had the angles wrong for the brackets, but nonethe less with the brackets being welded already, i tried to bend the bottom of the post where the linkage connects to the post, and it didn't give it the clearance for turning. I will just wait for wildchilds kit to come out. suree appreciate the info kachess, it was fun while it lasted. lol

Just got mine done,had to grind a little off the bottom of the post where the tie rod goess thru.and if you make the slot for the steering stops a little bigger you dont have to grind ears.Thanks for the pics and intructions!!

Back