• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane turbo review

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I finally got to trail ride my Hurricane 190 turbo kit this weekend. First let me say that when I first thought bout turbo charging my sled I a few concerns.
1. Noise- I couldn't have a sled that would get me tickets in residential areas.
2.Heat--I didn't want to melt side panels.
3. Ease of installation--I didn't want a complicated install in case I decided to trade or I needed to make repairs.
4. Reliability.
5. Trailability. I don't race. I just wanted a trail sled with more of a fun factor.
Let me say Dave has hit the nail on the head with this kit. Good throttle response. Smooth. Quiet operation--sounds like street bike when on the throttle. No exhaust drone. Side panel was cool. Installation was easy( except for the stupid torx head screws that hold the body work on ) . Sled is a blast to ride. Dave is easy to get a hold of and is quick with responses.
I changed my gear to a 21-41 and would recommend if contemplating a gear change do it at the time of installation. I will probably fool some more with the clutching also because, well, t's fun to try different set ups and see if you can improve anything
I can't wait to get a year of riding under my belt with this sled!!

Did you ride at all with stock gearing to see how it compared? I'm running stock gearing and stock clutches and looking for more top end but don't want to send clutches out for machining, just curious what difference the gearing makes in low to mid range pull. I'm loving the super fast pulls to 100 mph

I always thought the Viper gear was crazy low anyway. I was going to change it even if I didn't turbo it. I rode it a little bit in the field with stock gears but could not get any bite. I know yesterday mine pulled pretty quick to 102 with more to go. I think the gears will " calm it down " a little out of the corners. I was actually going to put 24-42(1.75) gears in but my friend had a set of 21-41(1.95) that he gave me a good deal on---probably a better choice for me anyway as I don't really care about full out top speed.

I think that's where I'm at now, on a smooth trail in 1/4 mile or less mine is at 108-109 mph and it's dead in it's tracks, the thing is a rocket to 108..like you said it could be calmed down a bit but have more top end. Again I'm running totally stock clutches with heavier weights. Maybe it will pull a bit more that 109 with stock clutching but I haven't seen it yet

We just got 2 out of the shop ..... but no snow good enough to run yet in Bracebridge. The RTX LE (Blue White) came with 21/49 gears, but we need top end, so installed 24/50's (Dave confirmed this would run out to about 120mph with the 1.7 track lightly studded with his complete clutching which we also did. If this doesn't provide enough low end grunt, we already have spare 90 chain and a 24 gear, so will try those with a 46. The forecast here is the pits. Might run down to Dave's in new year first week and dyno it. Would do it sooner but the woman I live with would cause great pain and financial suffering if I left over Xmas! Are you guys running boost and A/F guages?

i cant say enough about Dave's customer service and his product. love this kit. easy to install. great power with NO tuning. bolt on, plug in , and GO! I have seen 110 on the tac. went with some 2015 800 doos and walked right away. 0-whatever didn't matter. stopped start. rolling start. doesn't matter. pin it at 60 and the skis just float. glad i joined this site and saw Dave's add. have a bud with the same sled but no turbo, we are going to MI jan 8,9,10,11. on the 12 I would bet Dave gets a call!

I have both gauges. I have to be careful to watch were I am going and not stare at the gauge too long!!!! Things come up in a hurry!!

14 seconds and I'm more than a little green! There's another recent thread that suggests that nothing touches the "quality" of the MPI setup ...... that everything else just looks like something that was installed in a back corner garage. I looked at both ........ an MPI installed by Yamaha reps and Hurricane. Both are quality fit and finish. Everything fit perfect. And Dave's trail kit can be installed in abut three hours. There's some other nice stuff too like the location of this years intake not behind the rad for a cooler charge. And the extended size Hindle can down 10db from last years. And you're right that Dave gets back to you in rush. What I can't understand tho was the lack of Hurricane stickers in the package!

I've put 100 miles with the hurricane kit, and my face hurts from grinning ear to ear... I had all the same concerns and questions stated earlier and Dave patiently put my mind at ease. Great great customer service, can't say enough about Dave.

I also have the gauges the clutch kit. Debating on studding the 1.6 track. I also used the $10 dollar bell bike bag to perfectly hide the gauges when I want, got the idea from another post on here, so thanks for that.

I may be adding a turbo to my new Viper if I decide it is underpowered once I get to ride it. I had my mind made up that I would want a Push kit but I would like to learn more about the Hurricane kit. I like to have options and get feedback from TY guys so that I can make the right decision.

How about some pictures? Does the Hurricane kit have an intercooler like the Push kit? How many PSI and HP on premium pump gas? Most importantly, how much $?

5-5.5 lbs boost, should be 185-190 hp. no intercooler. larger injectors to run 87 octane SAFELY!(i always try to run 91 but have ran 87 twice when 91 was not available) pre programed PCV. NO tuning needed. install time do it yourself 3 hrs. kit is ballpark $3200 (dont quote me) without gauges or clutching. no gauges needed. i am 100% satisfied i made the right choice with the hurricane kit. all 190 kits will be same ballpark power wise. customer service, ease of install, and larger injectors sold me on the hurricane kit. i had an issue with a rubbing O2 sensor, posted a pic on here, Dave contacted ME about a fix the same day. Sent me a new piece, free of charge the next day! Cant get better than that. (all of the newer kits have the updated piece) my kit was one of the first. Thanks again Dave! I did modify the radiator support a bit to my liking. also 2 choices of exhaust i believe. What more does a guy want? Fit and finish? fit perfect and looks good to me.

DSC00698.JPG

Back