• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I just bought a new 2016 Venture MP.

Marks MP

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha SR Venture DX 146
Hi all, New to Yamaha, new to 4 stroke, new to long distance traveling with a passenger. I'm used to 145 HP BRP CK3 700-3. My wife has decided she does not want to drive any more and we still want to travel. The multi purpose is really single purpose for me. Its now all about comfort warmth and long hall with good fuel economy. I'm hoping that the 80 HP isn't a culture shock. I still own my old sleds so if i need to get out with the guys for a rip i can still do that.

My question is what should I be aware of, (coming from 2 smoke to 4 stroke)...do I need to be worried about starting in the cold? The ice build up seems to be a problem and i'm thinking about doing something with that.

Compared to 2 stroke does the 4 stroke have a lot more torque? What kind of torque am I generating with the 500 4 stroke compared to my old triple?

with correct oil, no problems starting until -30 ish and then a block heater for an hour before starting is usually enough.

it has more torque down low (ie engagement) so they are not ususaly peaky on the power. never rode a mp for top speed but it should get around 70mph topped out i think.

others will chime in but welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site, congrats on the purchase. You will find th m.p a very warm, comfortable and reliable sled. Fuel economy is excellent, torque is abundant, it will tow more than any two stroke out there with comparable track size. Regarding the ice issue just carry a small rubber mallet, not that big of of issue! Site has a lot of good info, whether it be problems, accessory add ons or experiences of others, be it good or bad! Cheers!

Check out the phazer forums. The phazer has the same engine and steering components mostly.

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! You'll love this sled. It's very torquey despite being just 500cc. It can get my 340 lbs. carcass up to 120 km/h and sometimes 140. One thing that you and your wife will have to get used to is its tendency to be tippy, which can be compensated with body English and adjusting the suspension. It's no boondocker by any means. it will go on a singe tank of gas all day long.

Check out the threads in this section and don't be shy about asking questions. We do have a good bunch of guys here with a wealth of info.

Thanks for all your responses. Good info for sure. I'm sure once we are out on the trails i will have some questions. Thanks again.

I ended up buying a MP last year after not having a sled in 15 years. I like it a lot because it does what it is intended for. I wanted a machine to pull logs, go fishing, carry gear,explore trials or put around all day. It's fuel efficient and the seat and rider position Is very comfortable also It's reliable and runs smooth.
yes it's a bit of a tank ,not fast or pretty but most minivans aren't.
I was first looking at the skidoo Ace but ended up buying the Yamaha because I got a great deal on it. Paid half price of new with only 300 Kms. The savings could not outweigh any differences between the two machines.
Really like it and glad I bought it. It does what it is designed too do.

One thing I want to add for anybody contemplating buying this sled. Its rider forward position is both a godsend and a possible curse. It's very good if you have a bad back and/or prevents back fatigue as it keeps your back in an optimal position and forces you to keep your back straight. I have a bad back and I haven't had a bad back attributable to riding since owning this sled. The curse is that it's hard on the knees if you have bad knees, which I also have. What happens then is that you'll want to move back on the seat but there is a hard piece of plastic in the seat, about 3/4 of the way back. Even if you don't have a bad back, you'll experience this hump if you're tall.
Why our MP/Lite butts hurt and the fix

I had it out on the weekend and here's the pro's and cons. I only did about 100k on Saturday as trails are not officially open yet. For a 500 cc 4 stroke it has enough torque that it is still a lot of fun despite the noticeable lack of HP, its just different then what i'm used to. Still breaking it in so 100 km/hour for a bit was all i wanted to do for now. The long track is a welcome change from what i'm used to. Smooth quiet and really efficient. I have to say Yamaha fit and finish is second to none. The ride in the bumps is amazing tame and smooth. The seat is very comfortable for me. It is a very warm to ride machine. My wife has not been on it yet but when she has a few 100k I will report back. Riding position is perfect for me at 5.11. Snow build up has not been an issue yet.

So for cons if I have any are the following. The look, still is a bit shocking for now but it is growing on me. The tippiness is noticeable only because I read so many blogs on it. I would trade the tippiness for comfort any day and adjust my driving. I didn't like the spot for the tool kit so I moved it. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to put it right in harms way for water salt debris etc. The zipper in the back of the back rest is perfect for the tool storage, ownership, insurance, etc. Steering radius with the 144 inch track the stock Yamaha dual carbides with tuner skies is a bit of a challenge. Nothing that a more aggressive carbide can't fix.

So far I love this machine for the the stage of life we are in. We want to tour long haul with it so I believe we have the right machine.

One thing I want to add for anybody contemplating buying this sled. Its rider forward position is both a godsend and a possible curse. It's very good if you have a bad back and/or prevents back fatigue as it keeps your back in an optimal position and forces you to keep your back straight. I have a bad back and I haven't had a bad back attributable to riding since owning this sled. The curse is that it's hard on the knees if you have bad knees, which I also have. What happens then is that you'll want to move back on the seat but there is a hard piece of plastic in the seat, about 3/4 of the way back. Even if you don't have a bad back, you'll experience this hump if you're tall.
Why our MP/Lite butts hurt and the fix
I saw your fix for the seat and may visit this if i have problems with pain in the rump...Thanks.

I ended up buying a MP last year after not having a sled in 15 years. I like it a lot because it does what it is intended for. I wanted a machine to pull logs, go fishing, carry gear,explore trials or put around all day. It's fuel efficient and the seat and rider position Is very comfortable also It's reliable and runs smooth.
yes it's a bit of a tank ,not fast or pretty but most minivans aren't.
I was first looking at the skidoo Ace but ended up buying the Yamaha because I got a great deal on it. Paid half price of new with only 300 Kms. The savings could not outweigh any differences between the two machines.
Really like it and glad I bought it. It does what it is designed too do.
Wow looks like you got a great deal. Hard to fine deals like that. also seems like the right machine for your sledding style. Thanks for your reply.

Wow looks like you got a great deal. Hard to fine deals like that. also seems like the right machine for your sledding style. Thanks for your reply.
Found it on Kijiji last year. Just at right place and right time, got lucky.

I had it out on the weekend and here's the pro's and cons. I only did about 100k on Saturday as trails are not officially open yet. For a 500 cc 4 stroke it has enough torque that it is still a lot of fun despite the noticeable lack of HP, its just different then what i'm used to. Still breaking it in so 100 km/hour for a bit was all i wanted to do for now. The long track is a welcome change from what i'm used to. Smooth quiet and really efficient. I have to say Yamaha fit and finish is second to none. The ride in the bumps is amazing tame and smooth. The seat is very comfortable for me. It is a very warm to ride machine. My wife has not been on it yet but when she has a few 100k I will report back. Riding position is perfect for me at 5.11. Snow build up has not been an issue yet.

So for cons if I have any are the following. The look, still is a bit shocking for now but it is growing on me. The tippiness is noticeable only because I read so many blogs on it. I would trade the tippiness for comfort any day and adjust my driving. I didn't like the spot for the tool kit so I moved it. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to put it right in harms way for water salt debris etc. The zipper in the back of the back rest is perfect for the tool storage, ownership, insurance, etc. Steering radius with the 144 inch track the stock Yamaha dual carbides with tuner skies is a bit of a challenge. Nothing that a more aggressive carbide can't fix.

So far I love this machine for the the stage of life we are in. We want to tour long haul with it so I believe we have the right machine.
I agree where they put the tool bag up front under the nose and exposed to the elements is a joke. I am currently custom building myself a box for the storage rack area. It will hold everything I need, but it's easy to get carried away and pack all kinds of things. I don't have to carry another person very often so I can bring the kitchen sink!

The tool bag thing must be later years (copied from Phazers) because mine used to be inside the left top cover held by an rubber band. Mine was never secure enough there and the plastic bag broke apart. I put the tools in an IBM laptop diskette drive case and put it in the box I carry in the back.

Back