• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Buildup vs WD40

steiner

Staff member
Everyday before I park the sled in the trailer in the evening after the day's ride I would try to knock out all the ice in the tunnel. Its a real PITA. Banging the tunnel with a mallet and using a long bar to break loose and wiggle out the ice chunks. This year I tried something new. I have read in some threads of spraying WD40 in the tunnel when it is dry and clean. It would apparently reduce the ice buildup in the tunnel. So I wiped the inside of the tunnel with a solvent rag as I had the skid out doing some repairs (again) to the W arm. Gave it a healthy dose of WD40 and wiped it around. As you see in the pics it worked well all three days of the ride. Next time I will try all the skid arms and the rails.
IMG_20170212_124517.jpg
IMG_20170212_124528.jpg

Everyday before I park the sled in the trailer in the evening after the day's ride I would try to knock out all the ice in the tunnel. Its a real PITA. Banging the tunnel with a mallet and using a long bar to break loose and wiggle out the ice chunks. This year I tried something new. I have read in some threads of spraying WD40 in the tunnel when it is dry and clean. It would apparently reduce the ice buildup in the tunnel. So I wiped the inside of the tunnel with a solvent rag as I had the skid out doing some repairs (again) to the W arm. Gave it a healthy dose of WD40 and wiped it around. As you see in the pics it worked well all three days of the ride. Next time I will try all the skid arms and the rails.
View attachment 126865 View attachment 126866
Nice!!! On mine, ice gets built up some thing fierce. Every day I go to use it in the morning, and you can hear that ice right up inside the tunnel. But after a day of riding it goes away. But then come next morning more ICE!!! Going to have to keep this in mind for the future. I know, my brother took the tunnel protectors off, as both off us never run studs. His does not have no where near as much ice build up. Also we want to go with the 1.75" track, and you can not have the tunnel protectors on. That was the main reason we took them off of his sled. Great idea to keep ice build up at bay steiner!!!

I'd like to hear if this works ongoing as my XTX is crazy with ice build up all the time and if I could spray WD40 every weekend before going out if it works would be wonderful.

Thanks for the report Steiner, I will also give this a try on my LTX.

Interestingly, one of my riding partners who bought an 07 Attack this year always has less ice built up on the tunnel than mine does on the same day, same trails. We've logged 500 miles + this year and the ATTAK always has less ice than the LTX. I think the LTX's additional rear heat exchanger contributes to a lot of the ice generation as its the only design difference that I see.

I'll soak that MF in WD-40 and, if it all does not melt this weekend, go for another ride with him and compare it again.

You should try Fluid Film. Commercially it is used on snow blowers and snow plows to keep snow from sticking. I have used it on my snow plow and snow blower with great results. I have also used it on the bottom of my quad to help keep the mud down. It is made of a vegetable oil and some other additives. WD40 is a solvent in the long run.

You should try Fluid Film. Commercially it is used on snow blowers and snow plows to keep snow from sticking. I have used it on my snow plow and snow blower with great results. I have also used it on the bottom of my quad to help keep the mud down. It is made of a vegetable oil and some other additives. WD40 is a solvent in the long run.
I agree

Didn't have any at midnight when I had the idea to try it.

I use cooking spray. Buddy thought I was crazy the 1st day of the trip many years ago. 2nd day he was using it too!

lol i was going to say pam as i use it all the time on plow and shovels at home.

Spray silicone works good too, and tends to adhere better.

Back