• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Buildup vs WD40

Everyday before I park the sled in the trailer in the evening after the day's ride I would try to knock out all the ice in the tunnel. Its a real PITA. Banging the tunnel with a mallet and using a long bar to break loose and wiggle out the ice chunks. This year I tried something new. I have read in some threads of spraying WD40 in the tunnel when it is dry and clean. It would apparently reduce the ice buildup in the tunnel. So I wiped the inside of the tunnel with a solvent rag as I had the skid out doing some repairs (again) to the W arm. Gave it a healthy dose of WD40 and wiped it around. As you see in the pics it worked well all three days of the ride. Next time I will try all the skid arms and the rails.
View attachment 126865 View attachment 126866
Been doing this for 25 yrs....works well and keeps corrosion down.

Bought a can of Fluid Film yesterday to try it out, worked great!

I tried fluid film on my last ride and I had more snow/ice build up than I ever have before.

Huh, thats odd we would have complete opposite results, I went out for a rip this evening & the tunnel was clean as a whistle when I got back, I didn't reapply either.

I spray mine with tire foam or tire wet. Makes everything look like new and the snow doesn't stick.

Huh, thats odd we would have complete opposite results, I went out for a rip this evening & the tunnel was clean as a whistle when I got back, I didn't reapply either.

I sprayed it on and was very liberal with it. I went for a ride that afternoon, before the next days ride I checked the rear to see how little snow/ice was in there but ended up hammering out more snow/ice than I ever have before. I tried it based on pics I've seen on here from guys using it....it sure did nothing for me.

Tried silicone and didn't work! Then I cleaned the tunnel and used fluid film and bingo, no more ice build up!

Back