• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

if you could upgrade one thing on your RX1??

Oldexciter

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1997 ski-doo mkz 583 Yamaha rx1
Im new to the forum and love the knowledge that you guys have about the Yamahas.. I have an 05 RX1, and have only ordered a set of handle bar risers.. after reading 10+ pages I read about people changing rear shocks, front shocks...seats.. skis the whole nine yards.. so if you could only change one thing on a stock rx1 what would it be??

Last edited:

Apex seat is a must and it has extra storage on it,2 inch riser,windshield bag,apex rear shock,Dooley carbides.....and better snow next year please!only got 350 km on both our 2004 rx1

Oh and make sure you have a skid plate,I never had one on mine slowly drove over a rock and it did all kinds of damage....I got one from a apex

I still have the first RX-1 I snow checked back in 2003; has 11,000 miles on it and still runs strong. I've probably done about as much as you can with this sled and for me, the biggest upgrade which also happens to be the most expensive, was swapping out the No Action (aka Pro Action) suspension with an AD Bovin Expert-X skid. It only got better when I extended it to a 136". I've done the longer links, 13mm sway bar, K&N filter kit, changed clutching and gearing, added Simmons skis and Ohlins front shocks among other things and I believe the skid was the biggest improvement. The only reason I ended up moving to an Apex was to get the new rider forward position that the Apex's have. Although I did replace my seat with an 05 version and added handle bar risers, it still sat lower than the 08 Apex I ended up purchasing. I also have an 08 Nytro but thought the rider position was too forward for my liking and decided that I will either trade it in or sell outright after snow-checking an '18 Apex XTX.

Where abouts are you located in Ohio? Nice to see a fellow buckeye on the TY forum but just as I do with Yamaha sleds, I do with college football and bleed blue. ;)!

Snowtrackers!
I'm not to fimilair with those but will have to look into.
Apex seat is a must and it has extra storage on it,2 inch riser,windshield bag,apex rear shock,Dooley carbides.....and better snow next year please!only got 350 km on both our 2004 rx1
I def want to do something to the seat, all ready have the handle bar risers. Have a couple bags on it. The ski was the only thing I was truly un happy with, and the carbides are close to replacement so something will get done to those haha

I still have the first RX-1 I snow checked back in 2003; has 11,000 miles on it and still runs strong. I've probably done about as much as you can with this sled and for me, the biggest upgrade which also happens to be the most expensive, was swapping out the No Action (aka Pro Action) suspension with an AD Bovin Expert-X skid. It only got better when I extended it to a 136". I've done the longer links, 13mm sway bar, K&N filter kit, changed clutching and gearing, added Simmons skis and Ohlins front shocks among other things and I believe the skid was the biggest improvement. The only reason I ended up moving to an Apex was to get the new rider forward position that the Apex's have. Although I did replace my seat with an 05 version and added handle bar risers, it still sat lower than the 08 Apex I ended up purchasing. I also have an 08 Nytro but thought the rider position was too forward for my liking and decided that I will either trade it in or sell outright after snow-checking an '18 Apex XTX.

Where abouts are you located in Ohio? Nice to see a fellow buckeye on the TY forum but just as I do with Yamaha sleds, I do with college football and bleed blue. ;)!
Holly crap that's a lot of wrench time on a sled, but great advice. My dad and I "share" this and another sled.. this winter I'm going to get my own Yamaha looking at used apexs and nytros. I'm from the Youngstown/Warren area.. send me a PM if your close by and we can hopefully meet up and ride(in about 8ish months) I ride mostly in NY(cherry creek)

Holly crap that's a lot of wrench time on a sled

I agree, but that's what made this sled so awesome. It was the first sled I felt I could invest money into knowing the longevity of the 4 cylinder motor that would not have me looking for its replacement every 5000-6000 miles. I do my own maintenance (helps having service manual) and other than your typical maintenance items, the old RX-1 has been a very reliable machine. It's one of the reasons I still own it to this day. For what it's worth, value wise, I doubt I could find a replacement and have same level of confidence of having a trustworthy backup sled.

We ride a lot in the U.P. and lower and also back home when/if we get decent winters and the ice is thick enough to ride on our lake. Have never rode in NY but always wanted to but wasn't sure what was all needed e.g. trail permit, local registration, etc.

I agree, but that's what made this sled so awesome. It was the first sled I felt I could invest money into knowing the longevity of the 4 cylinder motor that would not have me looking for its replacement every 5000-6000 miles. I do my own maintenance (helps having service manual) and other than your typical maintenance items, the old RX-1 has been a very reliable machine. It's one of the reasons I still own it to this day. For what it's worth, value wise, I doubt I could find a replacement and have same level of confidence of having a trustworthy backup sled.

We ride a lot in the U.P. and lower and also back home when/if we get decent winters and the ice is thick enough to ride on our lake. Have never rode in NY but always wanted to but wasn't sure what was all needed e.g. trail permit, local registration, etc.

The RX is a great overlooked sled. My 05 Warrior is just under 18,000 miles and its upgrades where worth it. I ride an Apex now for the EPS but everytime I ride the RX it begs the question why would I ever sell it? I spent so much time making it my own its so hard to part with it. Front bushing kit came in the mail today, bottom arms have a little play. Summer project! AD Boivin skid flawless since I changed the aluminum shaft on the bottom of the shocks for a steel one. Love the way that skid lands, like landing on a big pillow.

The one all important change is the WRP seat. This is hands down, the most bang for the buck.

The one all important change is the WRP seat. This is hands down, the most bang for the buck.
Does it go good with a riser? I'm looking to add stuff to my dads rx1

Another up grade we had to do was rear heat exchangers on our mountain rx1....they were overheating trail riding in certain conditions

Does it go good with a riser? I'm looking to add stuff to my dads rx1
Yes it works well with the 3.5" pivot risor. Not nearly high enough to stand but comfortable for sit down riding. I am tall though.
f9538f81ace8fad9cc9db510177a166b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Seat if you only do one upgrade. The risers will work great with a taller seat.

Back