• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

innovate boost/air fuel gauge

funny you say this because I mentioned this to innovate when I was on the phone with them.... "Hey, don't people with boats use your stuff?" The guy said "Yes" but that they must be "specially housed" to avoid contact with water.... or too much water. Maybe it's easier in a boat configuration to setup gauges to not get exposed to water than it is to be 100% water tight on a snowmobile that "plunks" itself deep into the power... which now becomes nearly impossible to completely seal the gauges off from exposure to moisture...never mind still having the COLD issue. Again, think I'm gonna pass for now until something more reliable comes along. Just gonna run a bit blind and leave my faith in the hands of the guys at MPI and EVO on how they set this turbo up! Honestly, I am running 9lbs of boost max so I should be fine..... I hope! :)~

I think you're taking a big chance there but it's your sled, your call.

I did the same thing last season. we installed the turbo and all of the parts from the 14 into the 15 and Allen Ulmer set it all up on the dyno with his gauges and set the switch at 7.5 and 10.5 lbs of boost on a stock motor with evo flash to pull timing and at 10.5 I run 110 octane, and even at 7.5 I blend about 2 gals of 110 to 8 gals of 91 non oxy. The AFR was brand new and never moved off of 14.1 from install. Interesting enough I emailed AEM 4 times with no response about this gauge and the place I bought from will not take it back I have to deal with them!. This is the 4th one I bought from them in 5 yrs ad they treat you like that.

I just installed a SCG-1 and wish I would have seen this post prior but oh well I will find out soon. Main reason is I have an MPI 180 trail kit the got an Ulmer fluff consisting of 550cc injectors, EVO ECU reflash, quick spool wastegate, PCV PTi, cold air intake and MPI race muffler low decibel so I felt the need to monitor AFR and boost
abda1494244e81f7f8c49247c00e5f00.jpg
af8972e63f964d02c750402dab108fff.jpg
7817bc15d5c99f744c79b96d9d84447e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed a SCG-1 and wish I would have seen this post prior but oh well I will find out soon. Main reason is I have an MPI 180 trail kit the got an Ulmer fluff consisting of 550cc injectors, EVO ECU reflash, quick spool wastegate, PCV PTi, cold air intake and MPI race muffler low decibel so I felt the need to monitor AFR and boost
abda1494244e81f7f8c49247c00e5f00.jpg
af8972e63f964d02c750402dab108fff.jpg
7817bc15d5c99f744c79b96d9d84447e.jpg

I have the psb-1 gauge. I used the long bung just like you in the same spot. I haven't had any problems but I only have a few hundred miles on it since going to this gauge.

That scg-1 is interesting. so do you set the boost level you want right on the gauge?

Yes, just installed not exactly sure yet but will figure it out soon

AndyB, Nobody is going to force you buy gauges. If you're so worried about the Innovate, DON'T BUY IT. You've also been told by Yamadog (post #33) that the AEM hasn't been the best on a snowmobile. I've ran the Innovate on my sleds mounted to the bars with no special cups or sealing or pelican case etc for the last 6+ years and have NEVER had a single issue with it not working properly. Friends have had AEM, PDI and KOSO. I've personally seen each one fail. Rant over.

Regardless, you should have something to monitor whats going on. A ProLogger might be right for you.

Anyone running an lc2 afr gauge? I haven't gotten it to work for the life of me. I have power and ground, the gauge lights up and the lc2 unit is blinking ready to read. I have calibrated the sensor also. The gauge blinks 7.4 and 22.4 back and forth with no real reading when running. Will jump to 11.4 but always back to 7.4 and 22.4. Never a live reading. I'm welded pre turbo with long bung from innovate. Can anyone tell me what wires from the controller go to the gauge? I have yellow hooked up but I'd doesn't make it clear what wires go from the gauge to the module/ sensor. Frustrating

My bung is after the turbo. Your saying weld one in before?
I have gone through 2 already. Only lasted a few Kms each. I used the MPI bung after the turbo. For my 3rd sensor I am going to try something different, not sure what it is but mounted in the MPI bung after the turbo definitely does not work.

I have gone through 2 already. Only lasted a few Kms each. I used the MPI bung after the turbo. For my 3rd sensor I am going to try something different, not sure what it is but mounted in the MPI bung after the turbo definitely does not work.
I believe that bung is too shallow. It puts the sensor out in the exhaust stream too much. Welding a deep bung in the mid pipe seems to be the fix.

I believe that bung is too shallow. It puts the sensor out in the exhaust stream too much. Welding a deep bung in the mid pipe seems to be the fix.
I wonder if I weld that Bung that came with the gauges on top of the MPI bung, if that would take it out of the stream enough? Ya think?

Maybe.

I removed the mid pipe and welded the bung in up there. Worked real well and not hard to remove.

I'm gonna throw this out there for suggestion .... I installed the MPI turbo on my Viper this summer, and went with Innovate gauges. My brother had previously done the turbo install and used the Koso gauge. He (and a few others) cam across the problem with the Koso gauge of it doing funny things when the sled was started. The solution was to install a switch to turn the gauge on after the sled was running - problems solved. That was one of the reasons why I went with the Innovate gauges. I got to play around in my back yard a few times early in the season and everything seemed to work well. But things went south on my first real run (at the TY Houghton ride). Gauges started doing weird things when I would start the sled - specifically the boost gauge. Sometimes on startup it would read 30psi and never leave that reading. Turning the sled off, then back on seemed to reset it. At the same time, the O2 sensor went out on me. So I just dealt with it for the weekend, but the boost gauge puzzled me.

Knowing what my brother went through with the Koso gauge, I experimented in my shop with a switch. Tried it on/off many times, and the boost gauge came up perfectly every time. We know there are weird things that happen with the Viper on startup (ECU, kickbacks, low voltages ... etc. etc. - many threads cover this). So even though the Innovates seem to work fine on startup compared to the Koso, I think the Viper electronics still screw with it and I think it's what took out my O2 sensor.

Since all this happened, I have installed a switch to power up the gauges after engine start. Boost works perfectly, and so does the O2 sensor. ...................... Food for thought .................

Funny side note I did pull my last AEM AFR gauge apart prior to the season start and cleaned pin on the terminals and now it works....bad side note it may be too late I believe I my have blown up my 2nd viper I am losing anti-freeze and no visible signs of where it is going other than into the motor.

Back