• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installing camshaft/chain timing UPDATE help, is it off ??

There should be a pin count between marks on the cams. If you have your cam chain taught on the front and your cams lined up with the head and your pin count right any slack left should be taken out when your tensioner is installed and has pressure on the chain. Sorry if this was already discussed I skimmed a bit.

I would say it looks wrong in the pic,but I bet when the chain gets a few revolutions with it being tensioned it will be 100%

Hi there!

sgilbert: I kind of agree but on the other side I hate replacing parts that are OK. The chain should last atleast twice or triple the milage it already has. They use the same chain on bikes and I doubt that this engine will ever reach the same milage as a bike.
Has anyone every had a camchain break btw?
I put my trust in Yamaha and if they are to live up to their reputation a camshaft chain should last more then 12.000km ;)

dirk: I actually quite didnt see what you ment with the pin count?

mike3577: Agree and agree, I do believe it is correct:)

I just re read what's going on. It sounds like everything is good. The crank will be able to move a few degrees before the cams move. If you crank the motor over by hand and get the crank to do a full rotation and not lock up your not hitting valves, unless these motors have a big PTV clearance? Can you turn the motor over untill the cams are back in the position that you installed them with the crank mark back in the correct place? You have to have the cam chain tensioner in to turn it over obviously.

Hi!

We started the engine today! The timing was correct! :)
Just so I understand everything correctly..you had put your timing mark on the crank on I and not II? and set #3 piston (farthest from the clutch) at TDC on compression and everything lined up easier or was there still pressure, to the point that you needed an extra set of hands?

Ok the only thing I dont understand is if I go with the single mark my cams aren't parallel with the head, where as when I'm on the 2nd mark they are ?

Use a long round rod that will go in the spark plug hole on top of the piston to find TDC for sure.
Just rock the crank back and forth a little.
If the marks on the cams don't line up exactly, u want them to be behind the crank, (retarded)

I'm still running it to problems I'm at TDC on compression and the cam lobes are still hitting the valves am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to force the camshaft down to put the cover on it? I'll post pics

I'm still running it to problems I'm at TDC on compression and the cam lobes are still hitting the valves am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to force the camshaft down to put the cover on it? I'll post pics
I cant seem to post pics

Back