• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Is it the end of EPS?

If you don't think that the designers and engineers are unaware of what is said here then you have your head up your ..... People here bitched about the chaincase bearings, starter issues, Japanese ECU, Roller secondary's and a few other things in the Viper. Not only did they address these issues in the Sidewinder but also pointed them out in their new advertising. To me A leads to B and tells me they are certainly aware of what people are saying and finding out. Why not use us a testers with knowledge?

I was actually giggling when I read through the Sidewinder marketing material when it blatantly pointed out some of the things the Viper owners bitched most about. It was very obvious that they addressed those concerns very clearly. The ECU was probably the most obvious. And as Chris said in his blog this week, the only difference between the blue/green models this year is clutching. So even AC is taking note and giving in to more Yamaha input on the Sidewinder.

Now if the 2017 Vipers came out with a non AC ECU, that would have been even better yet. That would be flat out admitting that the AC ECU on the 14-16 was flawed, so I doubt we will see that happen.

You bet he does and pulled no punches when he said, lack of power steering was a deal breaker on his own personal sled. So you know folks within the Yamaha camp agree with us, Power steering is a major differentiator.

I'm sure if there had been room, it would have been worked into the new Sidewinder, but it is stuffed in there. Chris and I agreed in a quick comment on his blog. Many of us have older bodies than our age would indicate, so EPS is a must.
No need for EPS on the Winder, skis will be in the air most of the time!

I was actually giggling when I read through the Sidewinder marketing material when it blatantly pointed out some of the things the Viper owners bitched most about. It was very obvious that they addressed those concerns very clearly. The ECU was probably the most obvious. And as Chris said in his blog this week, the only difference between the blue/green models this year is clutching. So even AC is taking note and giving in to more Yamaha input on the Sidewinder.

Now if the 2017 Vipers came out with a non AC ECU, that would have been even better yet. That would be flat out admitting that the AC ECU on the 14-16 was flawed, so I doubt we will see that happen.
Yup so they get it on the ECU so why do you think CAT had to go to team for the clutches????

No need for EPS on the Winder, skis will be in the air most of the time!
Yup anyone who has ridden a turbo viper (upgraded from the trail, turbo stage I) knows that power steering is a waste of time, money and added weight. Especially on the XTX with uncoupled suspension. But even the LTX's I rode with stage I kits (over 190 hp) had no need for EPS.

CR comments on this post... http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/ They do listen and read this stuff...

So I vote to keep the power steering on my and my wife's sleds. Until you ride one for more than a hour in various conditions you don't know the advantage. I have 16,000 mi on my 11 Apex and my wife has 7,000 on her 12 Vector and we both say it is definitely worth it. Its not just the ease of turning it allso the way it isolates the bump steer. Bottom line....If you have never ridden one all day (or all season) with the power steering you can't fully judge if it is worth it.

Last edited:
Yes, I won't buy a sled without power steering! First season, I had it I drove down a trail where a truck has beat up the trail and you sure did not feel it in the steering! Plus it is great on those long days and long trips. So you got my VOTE for power steering.

CR comments on this post... http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/ They do listen and read this stuff...

So I vote to keep the power steering on my and my wife's sleds. Until you ride one for more than a hour in various conditions you don't know the advantage. I have 16,000 mi on my 11 Apex and my wife has 7,000 on her 12 Vector and we both say it is definitely worth it. Its not just the ease of turning it allso the way it isolates the bump steer. Bottom line....If you have never ridden one all day (or all season) with the power steering you can't fully judge if it is worth it.
X2
I'am apparently not a good enough rider to ride all day with my ski's off the ground, I like to turn once in a while! LOL! EPS isolates a lot of junk that comes through the bars! I switched with a couple Viper's and Etec's over the last couple years and I will just say I want EPS!!!!

X2!! We got the wife a 2012 Vector this year and after putting on 1700 miles and she is still smiling!! Not one complaint!

X2 got the little women a 2013 apex xtx. She is still talking about what a great sled it is and how easy it is to ride all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run 10k anyday, but still want EPS, its not just a womens or old man thing...i do 500 miles in a days sometimes, and my upper body is really sore when i do it on non EPS sleds.. bottom line, it makes riding just that much easier, its not for everybody, cause everybody didn't try it ... they just brush off the idea because they say the Apex is too heavy...but on ALL 4 strokes, it would be incredible... the Vector doesn't need it, its probably the lightest feeling 4 stroke out there, but still, after you tried a EPS vector, you just won't go back.. but hey... keep the post going, the more say YE, the more YAM will notice...:4STroke:

Everyone likes to say that there setup is best for easy of turning but EPS is like power steering in your car. All cars used to be manual steering and I didn't think power steering was needed as I could steer it with one hand and my other around my girlfriend. Then I bought a car with power steering and I never looked back. Same with sleds, I have rode other peoples sleds that said they where like power steering and while they turned easy EPS is better. When my EPS tripped out for whatever reason last winter I knew that even though my Snowtrackers where easy to turn they where no where near as easy without it. No matter how easy you think your steering is its easier with EPS and your shoulders with thank you for it. Only sled I ever owned that steers like it has power steering is my 2000 600 ZL with stock ski's and two inch carbides.

love the power steering on my Apex. Like others mentioned already it's just not to mask the weight and make it easier to turn. unless you have ridden one of these for a full day in the rough you will never understand and you really do not have an opinion or in appreciation of it. There is no kick back what so ever thru the bars when riding thru rough sections or washboard trails. The other plus is you can load the front with more weight to make the sled handle that much better without any change in effort to the steering. All this translates in the rider not getting sore or fatigued after a days ride. I've seen guys on other sleds going thru the rough sections while riding behind them and there arms are being kicked back and fourth from the feedback.

for the one who mentioned that his 115 lb mom didn't need it after a weeks ride. Has she ever taken one out with EPS ? If she did i bet she'd have a different opinion of it after a full days ride. Like the old saying goes, you don't miss what you don't have until you do get it.

Back