• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Issue with my viper skid

Something with the MTX rails?
Yes! I've posted this in two other threads and on the first page of this thread the 2015 Viper MTX have rails specific to the MTX. Different than the M-series and the viper XTX. Its hard to read the article but I scanned this out the Oct 2014 Snowgoer Mag notice the blue rail (the MTX rail), where the front arm connects to the rail is almost 1" taller compared to the 2015 CAT rail hints the rubbing
yamaha1_zpsa9514d32.jpg

yamaha2_zps6358b2d2.jpg

I see the 2016 CAT M-series have raised the height of the rail where the front arm attaches to the skid just like the 15' Viper MTX is so I'm surprised that there is no updated front arm yet or solution to this problem. I know when I'm riding and I hit the brakes hard it feels awful you can feel the track just grinding away on that front arm
And to elaborate on what I said before you can see @4:58 in this video Arctic Cat is following what Yamaha did to the rails

Just came from the 2016 snow show in Denver and every 2016 MTX prototype demo sled there had these deep rubs in the same place. Sure glad I went ice age rails on my Viper.

Does anyone have a link of a 'how to' on replacement of the front skid shock spring?
How much work is involved in it.

Does anyone have a link of a 'how to' on replacement of the front skid shock spring?
How much work is involved in it.

About 15 minutes to change.

1. loosen spring tightener/collar all the way
2. Take out top bolt and lean shock back
3. pull top retainer out and take spring off
4. Put new spring on and put retainer back in and spin collar up until it touches and two full turns to keep retainer in
5. swing shock back up and put bolt in

DONE!

Thanks stingray, you've been a great help with this since last year. Last question, what way does the spring go on?
The spring has tight coils on one end and non on the other. Will it be the same on the old spring?

Thanks stingray, you've been a great help with this since last year. Last question, what way does the spring go on?
The spring has tight coils on one end and non on the other. Will it be the same on the old spring?

Shouldn't matter which end is up but I would put tighter coils up.

So. First ride of the season and with the 160# spring, track on the tighter end of spec, 7 tooth drivers and it still rubs.
Suspension it set up as follows:

Ski shocks @ 55.
Front skid spring tightened 3 turns from loose.
Rear skid shock @ 135

And now I'm noticing I'm only getting 3#'s of boost. But that's for another post.

So. First ride of the season and with the 160# spring, track on the tighter end of spec, 7 tooth drivers and it still rubs.
Suspension it set up as follows:

Ski shocks @ 55.
Front skid spring tightened 3 turns from loose.
Rear skid shock @ 135

And now I'm noticing I'm only getting 3#'s of boost. But that's for another post.

front of skid mounting holes in bottom hole? BTW how much diff did spring make in turning?

Yes, front skid mounts are in the bottom holes.
I'm thinking about mounting a low snow wheel kit somehow so the track hits them before the skid.(like what was said earlier in this post)
As for the turning. It's better and It seems to get on edge much easier.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but was there ever a fix for this problem othet than a tight track and a stiff spring up front. I have seen a lot of info on these sleds not being setup in the right mounting holes. Wasn't sure if it was this issue or an entirely different issue all together.

Did Yamaha ever address this? Did it affect 141 MTX?
Thinking about buying one...but this isn't a selling point!
Thanks

Also wondering if anyone fixed this issue as I have the same problem with my 15 viper mtx 153

Back