• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Jimmy Page......

I grew up in the era of some of the great guitar players. Later Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Eddie Van Halen and of course Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin. I know I've missed others of this era and i'm sorry if I missed your favorites.

As we recently started using internet TV, I find myself watching YouTube video's of these great bands. And after watching a number of Led Zep video's last night, I can say without a doubt that, IMO, Jimmy is the greatest guitar player of his era. He's usually ranked in the top 4 of greatest guitar player rankings and Hendrix is #1. Hendrix is indeed awesome, but JP is still a level above him.

Was just thinking about this and wonder who everybody else likes? Who are your favorites?
Well, you can tell by my TY name whom I'm partial to! Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are my favs tho. So for starters Toni Iommi from Sabbath, Glenn Tipton/KK Downing from Priest. :Rockon:Uncle Ted, Ritchie Blackmore, Zach Wild, Slash and of course Mr. Young. If your a JP fan check out on youtube the tour he did back in 99 with the Black Crowe's, specifically Custard Pie "" WOW"" Cris Robinson could replace Plant if LZ would ever want to reunite!

Well, you can tell by my TY name whom I'm partial to! Hard Rock and Heavy Metal are my favs tho. So for starters Toni Iommi from Sabbath, Glenn Tipton/KK Downing from Priest. :Rockon:Uncle Ted, Ritchie Blackmore, Zach Wild, Slash and of course Mr. Young. If your a JP fan check out on youtube the tour he did back in 99 with the Black Crowe's, specifically Custard Pie "" WOW"" Cris Robinson could replace Plant if LZ would ever want to reunite!
love sledding and riding to metal, gets me in the zone

My favorite Hendricks song! Voodoo Child!!! :Rockon:

Lots of great guitarists out there but I'm going to agree that Jimmy Page ranks right up there at the top. The man could make his guitar wail, talk, and sing. But more than just a guitar player he is a true expressionist. I've always been a big fan of keeping it simple and this link is to my favorite and probably one of the least known Led Zeppelin songs ever:

Watch Jimmy as he's nearing the end of the performance with his final solo and just drops his pick to the ground and Robert Plant gives him the nod to a job well done.

Last edited:
Lots of great guitarists out there but I'm going to agree that Jimmy Page ranks right up there at the top. The man could make his guitar wail, talk, and sing. But more than just a guitar player he is a true expressionist. I've always been a big fan of keeping it simple and this link is to my favorite and probably one of the least known Led Zeppelin songs ever:

Watch Jimmy as he's nearing the end of the performance with his final solo and just drops his pick to the ground and Robert Plant gives him the nod to a job well done.

This video is from Page and Plant's 1994 "acoustic" performance which can be found on the DVD called "No Quarter".

This DVD contains, to me, the best version of "Kashmir" the band (or portions of) has EVER done.

My first concert at 13 was Roy Buchanan in Pittsburgh. I still do listen to and love most all of the above. Many can bend the strings. Some can mechanically bend the mind. The rare gifted bend the soul.

For heavy rock/metal:

Randy Rhoades from Quite Riot, and more famously Ozzy Osborne.
I was lucky enough to see him play live in 1981 the year before he tragically died in the plane crash.

Dave Mustane of Metallica, and more famously Megadeth.
I've seen them live several times. He's an animal.

Darrell Abbott of Pantara fame. Just. Plain. Amazing!

Page is awesome. Best concert ever. Angus Young from AC/DC rocks too. Hell of a concert and he really is a great entertainer.

Back