• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

just a thought to enhance performance and run cooler

**sj**

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
with the intercooler mounted so low...the intercooler is in a prime location to get plugged with snow which when melted and re freezes , ice...

I plan on spraying it and the opening with some of that snowblower release to prevent this...
if air flows through properly compared to even part plugged , your aits will be lower and you will make peak power and have less chance for detonation....

Good idea. Even if it was packed with snow or ice, wouldn't it still cool the air some? Because the intercooler would have to be at least 32 F (or 0 Celsius for our northern brothers) or it would melt anyways. It's kinda like a BONG with ice in it! That's what my friends tell me anyways...i wonder if the heated air from turbo would heat that intercooler up & melt the snow/ice. I'll know next weekend...

Good idea. Even if it was packed with snow or ice, wouldn't it still cool the air some? Because the intercooler would have to be at least 32 F (or 0 Celsius for our northern brothers) or it would melt anyways. It's kinda like a BONG with ice in it! That's what my friends tell me anyways...i wonder if the heated air from turbo would heat that intercooler up & melt the snow/ice. I'll know next weekend...
I was following my son last weekend and all the snow dust plugged my cooler up. I didnt see the ice until we got home and put sleds away. Used a heat gun to melt it before my next ride.

I was following my son last weekend and all the snow dust plugged my cooler up. I didnt see the ice until we got home and put sleds away. Used a heat gun to melt it before my next ride.
So did you notice the power loss???

So did you notice the power loss???
I did notice power loss but thought it was just because we were in about 5 inches of fresh snow and the sidewinder was just spinning. When I took it back out after melting the ice on the front it had all the power again. Im glad thats all it was because when I was racing the Apex , he was pulling on me. We tried it again after the ice was off the intercooler and the Sidewinder just smoked the Apex.

This was my thinking...with the sophisticated controls on this sled...I assume if your air intake temps rise...you could start to detonate...pulls back...

Where can you buy fluid film?

Lowes sells fluid film

Every time i leave my cabin i take the power lines to the trail head. My cooler gets full of snow and don't feel any power loss. When i pull it in the garage its alway full of ice.

I did notice power loss but thought it was just because we were in about 5 inches of fresh snow and the sidewinder was just spinning. When I took it back out after melting the ice on the front it had all the power again. Im glad thats all it was because when I was racing the Apex , he was pulling on me. We tried it again after the ice was off the intercooler and the Sidewinder just smoked the Apex.
Same trail, same direction, same snow conditions, wind, temp?

Same trail, same direction, same snow conditions, wind, temp?
Same trail (rails to trails) same day. When we first got to the trail we would race from a rolling start and I would just pull away quickly. I followed the Apex for about 10 miles (lots of snow dust) then we turned around and did about the same rolling start and I could not pass the Apex. We did this several times and had the same outcome. I didnt notice the cooler being full off ice until we got home, and there was no ice when we first started racing. To answer the question, same day, same trail, same temp, all within 2 hours

It could also just be that the turbo was heated up and resulted in less power. Does not 100% for sure mean it was due to the cooler being blocked. A super hot turbo will reduce your power for sure. If running really cold air temp's and the cooler was iced up then I could see there being a loss in power vs a clean one. A cooler iced up has a constant 32F sitting by it (the temp that things freeze at). One with no ice and really cold air temp will be able to get down closer to the air temp.

The constant 32 degrees is conductive at best ..but so is the constant hot air flowing through it...so the heat wins out ....think of the radiator in your car or truck with a sheet of ice over it...exactly....not truly the same since one is a liquid cooler and the other is air to air...but for it to function with any degree of efficiency..air has to cross it...now if there was an intercooler fan on the inside...might be better..

One could weld a thermostat probe in the intercooler and a digital display at the cockpit to see aits...

When these coolers get heat soaked ..racers cool them down...

Back