• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Just got a new '16 Viper MTX 141" SE

yamajammer76

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper M-TX SE 141"
Anyhow they had a couple '16 MTX 141"s left over at my local dealer so I decided it was time to trade off the '12 Nytro XTX. I'm not concerned with the "new" engine because I will never turbo it. Anyhow I'm excited to ride this "extreme" crossover or "baby" mountain sled... however you want to look at it. I do almost all of my riding in the Black Hills so it should be a good sled for my area. The true mountain sleds are really too much for my area, but my old XTX wasn't enough when I went off trail in the deep stuff.

We just got 2-3 feet with more to come this week so if it starts like this it usually signals a good snow year.
RenderedContent-88252921-F9EB-4A57-9EE2-76EB6E93F80B.JPG

Beautiful sled, I was looking for one last spring when the prices were really good and couldn't find a 141" anywhere now there seems to quite a few around like they did a very late production run of them. Been debating a 16' 141' or Saving 1000$ and getting a 15' 153" and putting the 1000$ towards a 153" backcountry track and the cat 16+ 40" arm kit.

Beautiful sled, I was looking for one last spring when the prices were really good and couldn't find a 141" anywhere now there seems to quite a few around like they did a very late production run of them. Been debating a 16' 141' or Saving 1000$ and getting a 15' 153" and putting the 1000$ towards a 153" backcountry track and the cat 16+ 40" arm kit.

I can't complain on price with all the rebates and carryover discounts. Also they gave me a decent trade-in price on my Nytro. I hate to say it, but nobody wants Nytros anymore. He said mine was very nice and with the short lug XTX he could probably sell it to a rancher.

Mine was built in May 2015 so I'm not sure if they did another run later. I notice they don't have this exact model for 2017. It appears they did an LE BTX but it has a 153" 2.25" Power claw on it. I think 141" with a 2.25" Power claw is really enough for an NA motor IMHO.

It's sort of cool that it's one of the unique Viper packages. It's basically an AC XF High Country, but AC does not offer that package in the 7000 series.

I posted this in the Mountain section because it is an MTX, but it probably is more in line with the crossovers. I suppose that's why they came up with the BTX line this year.

Very nice, i just picked up the exact same sled. Looking forward to getting some miles on

Awesome. I love mine. It does well on trails. Of course it doesn't handle quite as well and is a little more figity on the trails then a true trail sled, but it does well. Sliders hold up well. Off trail it shines. I did have to add a little weight to the clutch because it was over revving, but now I have it set up for 4500-6000 ft and it's spot on for the Black Hills. It's a low geared sled and runs out at about 70-75MPH depending on the snow conditions, but top speed is not the point with this sled.

Overall I'm very happy. Let me know how you like yours.

Cool! I just grabbed one too. I see that I need to get a 2017 Arctic Cat wheel to prevent skid wear? Any other necessary mods for a 2016 MTX 141? Any known problems other than leaky chain case? I see some issues posted in reg Viper forum, but am not sure which apply.
Thanks!

Awesome. I love mine. It does well on trails. Of course it doesn't handle quite as well and is a little more figity on the trails then a true trail sled, but it does well. Sliders hold up well. Off trail it shines. I did have to add a little weight to the clutch because it was over revving, but now I have it set up for 4500-6000 ft and it's spot on for the Black Hills. It's a low geared sled and runs out at about 70-75MPH depending on the snow conditions, but top speed is not the point with this sled.

Overall I'm very happy. Let me know how you like yours.
Love it so far, disconnected the sway bar and i like it even more. I find the clutches noisy but thats minor.

Very nice sled indeed, I'm in the process of converting my 2015 ltx dx to a 141" 2.25 PC, 16 mountain spindle's and mpi turbo.

Cool! I just grabbed one too. I see that I need to get a 2017 Arctic Cat wheel to prevent skid wear? Any other necessary mods for a 2016 MTX 141? Any known problems other than leaky chain case? I see some issues posted in reg Viper forum, but am not sure which apply.
Thanks!

I'm not sure about the skid wear, but I'm just running the stock wheels. No issue with slider wear even with quite a bit of groomed trail riding. I did add a set of scratches and put them down in the morning if things are packed and frozen, but I haven't had to use them much. I did the re-flash and it does seem to take a couple cranks to start cold, but I'd rather have that issue then a kickback. One thing I will say is these sleds like a well charged battery and if it is down a bit they can be harder to start. Even my Nytro didn't want to start if the battery was down, so it's not a huge deal.

Very nice sled indeed, I'm in the process of converting my 2015 ltx dx to a 141" 2.25 PC, 16 mountain spindle's and mpi turbo.

I don't think the mountain spindles are quite as good on the trail as the standard ones, but lighter and better off trail. They also look cooler. :) A turbo would be great on this sled. I plan to just run mine NA because I have the "new" engine that has been known to have rod issues with turbo. Honestly a 141" 2 25" is about as big as I'd go on a track with the NA engine. It's geared low however so deep snow is not an issue. It'll power right through it.

Yes I agree with the mountain spindle's, but I just went with the c&a pro xcs ski's, there almost 7" wide, awesome ski but with the 42" front end, it's noticeably harder to sidehill and carve, the 40" should put me back where I was, almost debating if I should go 38" and weld on some tabs for the sway bar, I run quick disconnects too. Check your rods, you might be able to turbo it , take the stator cover off and look for heat treated discoloration on the rods.

Here is the thread about that skid wear and upgrade wheel:
http://ty4stroke.com/threads/skid-upgrade-normal-wear-and-tear.146033/
So there are no other changes/upgrades needed before I start riding this new sled? Has a leaky chain case been a problem for anybody here?

That appears to be on a 162" so I'm not sure it applies to the 141". I have around 700 miles on mine with zero slider wear. No problem with the chain case. It seems to show about 1/4 in the sight glass and has not changed. I did shim my skis to help with darting and run my ski stance right in the center which is 40.5". That seems to be narrow enough to sidehill, but still be stable on the trail. I still need to get the suspension better adjusted, but otherwise I'm pleased with it. One thing to note is the stock clutch is 6000-9000 ft. and I ride mostly from 4500-6000 ft. It was over revving and would cut out around 9300 so I had the correct rivets added for 4500-6000 ft and now it's perfect. It hits about 8850.

Last I did get the re-flash done. I didn't have a problem before, but I didn't want a kick back issue.

Thanks for your reply. The skid issue seems to be with all MTX according to this thread: http://ty4stroke.com/threads/issue-with-my-viper-skid.134442/
The MTXs have a different skid. It is not slider wear that is the issue...It is the skid itself. Think I will get that Cat wheel!

Ok I see what you are saying, but mine has not rubbed at all with stock set up. I see where there are grooves in the arm on the longer sleds, but mine doesn't even have 1 scratch on the arm after 700 miles.

Back