1. PLEASE READ: If you have problems logging in with your old password, click the Forgot Password link in the log in screen to get an email verification to request a new password or click Here. If you haven't received a new password from the forum please email your username and password to webmaster@totallyamaha.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All hotmail, msn, outlook, live email accounts are not receiving email notifications. The only way to remedy this is to add @totallyamaha.com to your safe senders list in order to receive notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Just replaced exhaust donuts and thats not the problem...help

Discussion in 'Apex General Talk' started by Z06 FAN, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Z06 FAN

Z06 FAN Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    06 Apex's GT/RTX
    I was out on the weekend and developed a air sounding noise that I thought was the exhaust donuts. My son posted on a different forum about this issue and got the same response from a Yamaha Tech...exhaust donuts. So I replaced them as they probably needed changed out anyhow. Sled is 2006 apex purchased a year ago with 1,700 kms and now has 3,800 kms on it, so they were gonna be replaced at the end of season anyhow. So I started it up and still have the air type sound...head gasket??? or something else...hopefully simpler lol. We were driving our machines pretty hard when this developed.

3. TBay Sledhead

TBay Sledhead VIP Member VIP Member

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    06 Attak
    01 SXR Long Track
    Did you check the exhaust pipe where it goes from two into one. The 06/7 were known to crack or break in that area. I believe in 08 the added a tunnel brace to rectify the problem.

4. Z06 FAN

Z06 FAN Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    06 Apex's GT/RTX
    Sound is coming from engine area...engine just sounds louder, noisier. Possibly not air sounding so much now that I went back out to the garage for another listen. Just sounds not right and a little louder. I'm stumped

5. Viper_Dave

Viper_Dave Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    '11 Apex XTX, '09 Venture GT, '06 Attak, 08 Nytro Hybrid
    I've replace my flex pipes twice on my 06. Changed donuts the first time, didn't fix it. Got a good flashlight and started flexing the joints and found 2 cracked . Less than 5,000 miles on the sled !

Mileage Quest likes this.
  6. steiner

steiner Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

If you snap the throttle does the sled backfire? A backfire will indicate bad exhaust donuts or a cracked pipe. Been there, done that.
    If its a loud air rushing sound it could be from the airbox. Maybe the lid popped open or something like that.

7. john10toe

john10toe Extreme

Warm up your engine and hold the palms of your hands over both tail pipes while the engine is idling to block off the exhaust. I wear welding gloves to prevent burning my hands. The engine should stall almost immediately if everything in the exhaust is tight. If the engine continues to run while tail pipes are blocked, then you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Nice if you have a second person to listen and watch for leaks at flex pipes, y pipes etc.

8. CaptCaper

CaptCaper VIP Member VIP Member

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2007 Attak GT
    I bet it's the flex pipes as well. Mine had a crack that was hard to see...

9. stevieu1

stevieu1 Pro

[​IMG] just did mine... 390 bucks for all four. Hopeful they last another 10000mi.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG] Also had to weld a new flange on the silencer. Nice and tight now!

10. Z06 FAN

Z06 FAN Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    06 Apex's GT/RTX
    Just don't sound smooth now so I replaced the plugs...no dice. Gonna check coil packs tonight. Not so much of a air sound now that all body panels are off and I changed the donuts. I did see a little wetness in one cylinder when I removed the flex pipes.

11. slimjim2525

slimjim2525 Expert

Replace your flex pipes, that's your problem, almost guaranteed. Why would you change the plugs if the sled is loud, i'm not following that at all.

12. budman 1000

budman 1000 Extreme

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2017 XTX LE 137; 2015 Apex xtx, 2008 nytro rtx, 2005 RS Vector MTN turbo
    If your mileage is correct it's highly unlikely you have an exhaust leak unless you have damage from to your exhaust system as in broken support bracket or damage from picks. If you had your air box off and didn't get your hoses all hooked proper like especially the small hose to your engine valve cover it makes a air leak sound from your engine, just a thought as I've seen guys miss that hose and had same as your describing.

13. FlyinA

FlyinA Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2015 Apex SE
    Intake air leak or air box hose disconnected could cause noise and unsmooth running. I'm +1 on carefully checking all the air box connections, including pulling off the air box to check all the intake boots for cracks or poor seal to the throttle body. Re-install the air box carefully, it takes patience to get it on right.

budman 1000 likes this.
  14. Z06 FAN

Z06 FAN Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    06 Apex's GT/RTX
    Now I'm at the point where I feel the engine is labouring.Put new plugs in, checked all the coils, checked for codes, TPS is fine. I'm lost!! no air sound any longer...just a rough sounding engine.

15. FlyinA

FlyinA Veteran

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2015 Apex SE
    Any idea what got rid of the air sound?

Backtrack one item at a time to find out where roughness came in - bad/damaged plug, loose plug wire, knocked a coil wire loose by mistake, etc.

16. steiner

steiner Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Post a vid of the sled running.