• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

Well big news in the Kinger garage! I have been collecting parts to convert my SC into a mid mount turbo and have most of them ready to go. I was getting my sled ready for one last year as SC when it spewed oil all over the floor just sitting idling?!? Tried to track it down and feel like I need to pull the motor to find all things oil and fix it. So with that I started looking for a used sled and low and behold found this beauty and 07 apex SE mtx with....a mid mount turbo AND boostit aux fuel injection system! So I will swap some parts from the 06 to the 07 and hopefully be able to ride yet this year!

Here she is, very very clean:
e9810cdf3ef0b919e951a8c4cdfe0250.jpg

b2160001c34638bb903c1c4c4ac3bc55.jpg

I took it for a ride with the 2.5" CE track and the spool up was unreal. It has the race kit with external Wastegate, lightweight tial SS housing 3" v bands in and out and a 2867 GTX Turbo!

Wow wow wow!

Here it is swapping rear suspension to my 151" zx2 and trail track, drivers, reverse. Tricky with one lift and two tunnels that need to be in the air!!

d946ae84ad1e7327dfc29c26099ecaab.jpg

Hopefully I can finish the initial track swap tonight and then over the summer I will add my white marble panels and clean this one up to like new spec again.

I also fully weighed and corners weighted in as delivered form vs my SC before and after the swap. I'll post all those numbers when I compile them.

Excited to rock a turbo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I am making some progress and fabricated and tested my favorite mod that had been out on the back burner, converting the E-brake to a reverse actuator and eliminating the reverse lever. Saves 2.4lbs + 1lb on the ebrake caliper. More then that the lever always froze solid on me, this should work great and it its actually easier to put in reverse than the lever. Here is the write up in the general apex forum:
http://ty4stroke.com/threads/e-brake-reverse-mod-how-to-finally.147849/

Last question does anyone know a good way to seal the outlets of the turbo dumps and external wastegate going into the tunnel, the PO cut the holes much to big and it appears snow/water come back through the tunnel on to the top side, makes a mess, is loud, and I would like to clean it up. Maybe wrap in heat wrap until the desired thickness is reached?

Here is a picture of the outlets:

dbb031a21e19b9eb550aaf3243feb669.jpg

You can see the PO wrapped the pipe with muffler packing and it did a great job with sound. (Still too loud) but the external wastegate needs a better seal. It has to be able to flex with the motor but still seal any ideas?

df0a4187931b21bdc1d68c83826aef77.jpg

aa4173c9f9b1566e379469ff8e1af4a9.jpg

I happen to feel the slides on the ZX2 and felt what I thought was a paper thin section. So I ordered some new ones from ADB and replaced yesterday. Take a peek:

16ef4dce0012548220d0d2799f4286c2.jpg

It almost looks like a chunk of it got ripped out? The old hyfax is on the floor and the two rust spots are from the track on the rail. Luckily the rail was ok, crisis averted but still odd. Otherwise had about 5mm left. I replaced both.

4141bc7809cbdd6fb3df56ebaa6739b0.jpg

ebe8621be7a7383cec46ca73c14853dc.jpg

Also found a bad idler wheel:
f203d5029a0d9ec576ed2f07fd88ed80.jpg

I created a spreadsheet of options other than ADB and will post when complete. At least for us US guys it may be better to source idlers in US.

Also started fabrication of my muffler for the turbo sled. Very trick and I hope it works. More to come on that.

Finished the transfer of the zx2 into the apex mtx tunnel. I did something different and used 2"X1/8" steel flat for the tunnel support instead of the ADB mount kit. It's much lighter and I think stronger.

bde7af8b15731d0590068130fd67fe85.jpg

Also noticed something cool on the MTX the chaincase has 3 studs that stick out vs the trail tunnels that have bolts that go through the tunnel with nuts riveted in. I assume they switched to this so the 16" track would fit. Cool!

6b1d837acd53bed578632fda5c5e90af.jpg

Also a little trick I do to keep jackshaft from turning when tightening the chain case. The socket set from MPI is definitely needed. This is how I hold it so I can work on it by myself:
470963be1a17dd407e6222663ce3c6d1.jpg

Lastly yamaha tough!!! Mounting kit plates total weight:)

289047ff47eb211b067ee9731e5eff3e.jpg

Yamaha 162" mtx stock skid weight
ae39b520c7fd9e2a09b45221de2a7379.jpg

Back on the ground!!
87d4ad774fa591ac2dd7f199e3410bd9.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the thread with a great discussion on weight of the apex, specifically where the weight is. My posted weights are near the end. I will do it a 3rd time now that its lighter with my ZX2 and 151 track set up. I also have about another 30-40lb weight reduction coming this summer. (Battery, front susp, headlight, handlebars, etc). They are still heavy but man they run!

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/corner-weighting-and-balance-of-suspension.92591/

Awesome build as per usual from you. ;)!

One question tho. Where is the fuel tank?
I have seen and have done a small amount of work on turbo sleds but yours has me perplexed.o_O

Haha good question I'll post some pictures this weekend but it's a aluminum tank under the boss seat that has been cut out for it. The air filter goes we're the stock tank cap was and the fill neck and cap for the impulse fuel tank is in the back of the seat. I unzip the rear pocket and it's in there. It's 11.5 gallons and a 0.5 gal surge tank in the nose of the sled. Looking forward to 12 gallons on board!

I have a XP trail tank and seat and may swap the aluminum and boss seat this summer not sure yet.

Got the sled out from the Blizzard here in IA last week. Holy moly the turbo is fun!! Seems like endless power. I wont say its much faster than my SC set up but butt dyno does feel stronger. Also a welcome surprise is I got my transfer back. The change to a 151 on the old sled reduced my transfer to about 4-5" of ski lift if I was laying back on the sled and I really worked to pop the skis. I mounted it exactly the same in this turbo sled and because the gas tank is moved back and less weight up front (2% moved to the rear). I can now pick the skies up with throttle. If I try I can almost stand a 151 straight up!!

Also 3" dump isn't quiet enough LOL.

I had a stumble when coming on boost and played with the XIC boostit system and really like how much cleaner it runs vs the GEMS. No stumbles anywhere! Also took a few grams out of the clutch and now hitting good revs. I had to turn boost all the way down to its running on the wastegate now to keep it under 12 psi.

The big thing about a turbo I noticed is less mechanical noise and vibration. Its very smooth. Just need to get my muffler on to further comment on this.

Cool sled! Now to transfer all my white marble, gauges, and light weight stuff over.

380abab095c58abde3d2f4eaa2f4d294.jpg

Another cool build kinger! Going back to your 02' Viper you always build some sweet rides. This latest one looks like loads of fun.

G.B.

Thanks GB! Looking forward to your nytro build as well. These sleds never get old they are so much fun to scheme and learn about what they are capable of! I'm so excited to get rid of the rear exhaust and get to a flat tunnel, with the impulse kit you have to. Only thing I wish I could rig up would be power steering otherwise its perfect! This new one is almost too much, such a arm stretcher. The sound of wastegate, turbo spool, and BOV coupled with the 4 banger make it sound like nothing I have ever heard...in a GOOD way.

Wow! kinger all I can say is Wow, awesome job. Just finished reading this all, it took a night and an afternoon to do it but I am glad I did. ;)!
Also after watching a few videos of turbo apex's, which they just sound frik'in mean.
I could just imagine what it sounds like in the trees.
You got a sound clip of you on the throttle??? I would love to hear it.

No audio yet, but plan to get some good Go Pro vids this winter. A turbo 4 stroke with 3" dump is like nothing I have ever heard. Un-freak-ing-real! I also have a external wastegate which only makes the sounds MO BETTTA! LOL

Back