• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

After riding some new iron and testing out other sleds I still cant find anything remotely close to how much I enjoy this SC apex. So now that kids are a little less needy and my build as been relatively low maintenance and trouble free for a few years I am going to be investing some time into revamping the sled with the focus on weight reduction. Really for no other reason then I like to tinker. I got inspired by Nikolai thread in the nytro mountain section. His theory is every once counts. While my sled wont be as anorexic as his I want to make some smart decisions and try to cut between 100-110lbs. I'll try to post up the actual weights of everything I do and have as well as a final weight of the sled when done. I have some ideas for a custom tunnel, exhaust tank, seat front suspension, etc. I want to get used parts as the MTX apex's are now relics and I have been stealing lightweight goodies for a couple months now. This wont be a all out all extreme weight loss more so just putting some thought into seeing if I can get close to my buddies brand new XP renegade that to him is 'feather' light and mine is just such a 'pig'. I have a feeling he may be in for a shock when I'm done haha. I'll probably focus on the front of the sled this year and the tunnel for next year depending on how much time I get to put into it. The end goal is the outward appearance wont change much. I love the look!!!! I have learned a lot over the years with aluminum parts and failures on sleds getting to thin in areas and sacrificing strength so hopefully I wont get crazy and ruin the reliability of the machine. I still ride it as hard as I can and it takes a beating on rough trails. I can almost hear the chain stretching when I'm on boost and jumping moguls on the landing, that is why I love the sled so much so I wont be too risky with anything too structural. However with a still stock front suspension, heavy battery, stock seat, stock exhaust (yoshi blew out), stock steering, etc there are some areas I can pick up a lot of weight loss. I actually have a theory I wont notice the weight loss because I have a hard time telling between a full tank and a empty tank of fuel so I have the mindset it wont matter so if it DOES and I can feel I will post it up.

More to come...

Been accumulating goodies for my project but still no time for any actual work :( Hopefully soon.

Look at these beauties! Billet 7075 nothing lighter or stronger then that!!

Also got my 12.5 Gallon trail tank and picked up a XP seat on Ebay. So far the tank weighs 11.4lbs and the seat only 6.4lbs. I cant wait to get the stock stuff apart to compare!

Hey Rxrider I need to plumb a external fuel pump to make this work the way I want, did those ski doo rubber nipple seals actually work for you? man I don't like just drilling a hole at the bottom of the tank, popping it in and calling it a day! I'm thinking more of a marine based bulkhead fitting out of brass that has a nipple on each side to seal my connection on the tank.

upload_2014-11-12_14-11-44.png

I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this tank looks, and works out. The 9.5 gallon on the newer models just won't cut it

There is no leakage With the Ski-Doo fuel tanks, nothing at all.
If you're running a aluminum fuel tank the coupler in the pic is the best choise.
Plastics and rubber swell up in contact With gasoline thus making a tight seal With no leakage.

Well I think I underestimated how much time kids consume LOL. Progress...well there has been NONE. DOH. I did manage to get the sled in for a few hours to see what was wrong with it if anything. She rung up quite a bill of time to get back on the trail again.

Excel headers are cracked
Lost my upper bogey wheel I install for the narrow track
Lost 2 bolts in the Zx2 skid
Coolant leak in two spots
My clipped track spit out about 50 clips they are lost

On a bright note she fired right up and ran like a top! I contacted Excel and they are going to work with me on the headers. Pretty cool guy that Aaron.

Here is how I rigged up the gas tank with no parts other then the tank to test fire the sled with header inspection panel open, I first thought it was my accordions that was causing the leak. So I did this so I could get a closer listen:

Did you find anything leaking on the exhaust?
Hope you can get it up and running soon.

I have two turbo sled With broken engines, I Guess I'm worse off than you LOL.
I have got a New motor for the Apex, need one New Carrillo rod and a few gaskets to be able to repair it.
My RX-1 threw a rod through the engine Block, I haven't opened it up yet.
My hope is that the cylinders are not hurt, the hole can be TIG welded.

I still haven't got the time to fix it, have been working on other guys sleds installing turbo kits and fixing turbo sleds With problems.
Hope to get started With the sleds this week. I need my Third bone Stock Apex when riding to the cabin With wife and the Girls this coming weekend.
Only minor service needed on the stocker.

Yes I found that the excel header cracked right up near then donut connection. I have copper donuts and they looked new! Aaron at Excel is shipping me new headers, he hooked me up after seeing the damage which was awesome, these headers lasted 3 years and roughly 4000 miles so not bad. I have been leaning the sled out slowly each year and I think its taking its toll on the exhaust parts.

My biggest dilemma now is if I can fit the XP gas tank on the stock tunnel. Everyone seems to cut the tunnel hump out so the tank sits better and the factory gas tank cover lines up. I am hoping I can make it work with the exhaust going under the tunnel at least for this year. I bought a XP trail tank so its 12.5 gallons which will give me almost 50 more miles since my tank I can only use 8 gallons before the fuel pump cant reach any more fuel (its a aftermarket pump). I have been meaning to rework it for years but decided this trail tank would be even better yet.

Over the summer I am thinking about a custom tunnel and front mount exhaust dump on to the track. At that point I could go with a flat tunnel. Not sure what to do yet. Riding a SC beast with 8 gallons makes for a fun 60 miles and a nervous last 20 trying to find good fuel!

Kinger I know we talked last year about a tunnel. Take a look at my thread we could do something similar to that.

You may be better off fabricating a riser on each side of the tunnel hump, that way you can run Your exhaust as it is.
The seat ride height will be an inch+ higher this way.

Back