• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Kingers BOOSTED garage....

Wow this thing has been fighting me. I needed to change the MPI oil seal on the PTO shaft out of the mag and its finally replaced but it took a act of congress to do it. For those not familiar on the MPI kit you remove the plastic cover on the mag and insert a PTO shaft that will connect your supercharger to the crankshaft of the motor. There is a seal that keeps oil in the Mag and not in the pulley. Over the last few years I had a leak there that slowly got worse and it was time. While I was in there I decided to change the oil and filter.

So the seal is screwed into the mag and according to MPI is supposed to be screwed in with a 'needle nose' to approx 20 ft-lbs. The access you have to this is impossible to get any wrench on it and its just got the two little holes on each side to use like a spanner wrench or something.

You can see how I mangled it trying to get it loose with a needle nose:
2015-11-21%2021.52.07.jpg

Digging through the bolt bin I found an old camber alignment bolt from a car and the head was exactly the same size as the aluminum busing OD. I then used about 2" of washers and bolted that bolt to the bushing and with a little heat I started turning the bolt hoping it would twist the seal out and not turn the bolt, and bam it broke loose and I pulled the bolted washers, and seal out as an assembly. I forgot to take a picture. I was probably running around hooting in happiness because the little sucker fought me the whole way.

Then I made up a rig to install the new one with $2.10 parts at the hardware store. It worked good but bent right at about 20 ft-lbs ;)

2015-11-28%2014.15.44.jpg

Lastly I had a stripped allen head screw on the MPI pulleys and they fought me, then I started on the oil filter. I thought I could reach around the SC to change it. WRONG. Out comes the SC.

2015-12-07%2021.56.17.jpg

There you are!
2015-12-07%2021.56.20.jpg

More to come!

This boot right at the outlet of the SC rubbed on the upper steering brace and had a hole.
fbe209db5d89b23819e4ed93eba8b833.jpg

Ordered a new one from vibrant performance 1.75" x3" fit perfect.

23c76dd7f2aa12af63a238ff9a2d2d27.jpg

Problem is I see it happening again. It's tighter then heck in there. I can't even slide the clamp between the boot and the frame. Next time sled comes apart I will have to notch this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got it all together (it fought me hard) and on test fire the little belt started walking to one side with enough force I'm sure it would blow had I left it. So back apart it goes and I try to figure out what could be the binding and causing the mid alignment. Remember the intake boot that was rubbing on the steering gate? Well I was reading through the MPI instructions again and it says you need to notch it. This means there are 2 notches. One for the SC jack shaft and one for the outlet of the SC. I took it all apart and mine was never notched. The previous owner never notched it and instead I think cut the silicon intake boot to make it work! So out came the rotary cutting tool and bam 5 minutes I had more clearance, my finger is pointing to the spot I notched. It's very minor but required.

1d08b2caa4e8ada958466cadb112e4cf.jpg

Then I reassembled and the boot slid on and the clamp fit where it should.

e62226fd91fbfa7e60add6f2f432df77.jpg

Then I reassembled and it practically fell into place. Pheww!

I will say I love the MPI sc kit but these pulleys are frustrating. Plan to spend hours getting them aligned. It's worth the hassle [emoji41]

Hopefully I can stop repairing and get back to my mods!!

And it's together for another year. My little helper that has drastically reduced my time to work in the sled is now taking a interest in helping me. Plus she went for her first ride and loves it!! SC apex should be a good starter sled right?[emoji41]
9ec7a4a43c02f31c43a9dbe62834f19b.jpg

eb784af7544d02031b33ec4fcc8dfdb9.jpg

And it's together for another year. My little helper that has drastically reduced my time to work in the sled is now taking a interest in helping me. Plus she went for her first ride and loves it!! SC apex should be a good starter sled right?[emoji41]
9ec7a4a43c02f31c43a9dbe62834f19b.jpg

eb784af7544d02031b33ec4fcc8dfdb9.jpg

nice lookin sled ,what are you running for primary clutch weights ,how many grams
thanks mike

Found it page 15 has the dyno. Here is a copy paste:

"Attached is the final dyno. On the first one the sled busted Allen's dyno he then had to get a new shaft and eased into it more on the final run. The power comes on just as fast as the pre run but wow what a difference in track HP. I had the clutches tuned last time for 10T drivers, 1" x121" track, 24/42 gearing. Now it has the 151x1.25", 9T avids, 24/38 stock gearing and some dyno time with allen changing the springs and helix. Went from 70 grams to 82 grams to keep RPM's in check. Gotto love it!

I thought it would be off by 5-10hp boy was I wrong! No wonder it seemed to be a bit off from last year. With all the traction of the 151 now and the addition of 60+ equivalent hp should tear my shoulders up pretty good!"

Found it page 15 has the dyno. Here is a copy paste:

"Attached is the final dyno. On the first one the sled busted Allen's dyno he then had to get a new shaft and eased into it more on the final run. The power comes on just as fast as the pre run but wow what a difference in track HP. I had the clutches tuned last time for 10T drivers, 1" x121" track, 24/42 gearing. Now it has the 151x1.25", 9T avids, 24/38 stock gearing and some dyno time with allen changing the springs and helix. Went from 70 grams to 82 grams to keep RPM's in check. Gotto love it!

I thought it would be off by 5-10hp boy was I wrong! No wonder it seemed to be a bit off from last year. With all the traction of the 151 now and the addition of 60+ equivalent hp should tear my shoulders up pretty good!"
Perfect thanks a bunch I have head shim ,12 pounds of boost ,162 track not sure on the drivers ,will have to see what I have for gearing ,I have right now for weights 86.4grams was thinking maybe I needed heavier weights seems like it shifts to fast want to get everything working perfect pulls good right now but I think it should pull harder my stock apex almost feels like it pulls harder maybe my track is to busy spinning on my supercharged one hahaha we haven't really had very good snow the last couple of years

If your talking deep snow yes you need a track to propel the beast. The challenger extreme is highly regarded for the deep stuff. I know some guys like to boondock and go to a 15" wide track but I would be cautious. Ideally you need that 16" width to keep her a float. Double check your gearing it to can make a huge difference, but then you have to also adjust your clutching. It all works together and is a PITA to get correct. That is why I used Ulmer and his dyno, as you can see added over 60 hp just from a spring change after I changed my gearing/drivers, etc around. Its all a system and changes to one changes all.

If your talking deep snow yes you need a track to propel the beast. The challenger extreme is highly regarded for the deep stuff. I know some guys like to boondock and go to a 15" wide track but I would be cautious. Ideally you need that 16" width to keep her a float. Double check your gearing it to can make a huge difference, but then you have to also adjust your clutching. It all works together and is a PITA to get correct. That is why I used Ulmer and his dyno, as you can see added over 60 hp just from a spring change after I changed my gearing/drivers, etc around. Its all a system and changes to one changes all.
Thanks for the advice

Back