• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lake Gogebic Advice

ksiesel

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper RTX-DX
I am planning a trip to the Gogebic area and I’m really not familiar with that lake, but would like to ride on it. I’ve read that there is a lot of good areas on it, but it also has some that should be avoided at all costs.

Mainly, I’ve read that you one should avoid the far South and East ends as they are almost always open. It seems a lot of people run the west side and maybe even hook over to Bergland.

Please chime in with other things that would be helpful to know about it before I head out. I’m thinking things like avoid this area for a specified hazard, or access it here, etc

Last edited:

I cannot give you advice because I have not been on the lake in recent years. But my group always made the triangle run of the three bars. The Gogebic lodge, the Hoop and Holler, and the Fishermen! Great memories, do not know if all three are still named the same or if all three are still opened.

Stayed on the west shore last January for 5 days a few miles north of Gogebic Lodge. We did not run any further south then the lodge on the west side and on the east side as far south as the Root Celler which is a little further south then the lodge. Everything north was fine. Never saw any open spots but did not go to the south west end. It’s pretty easy to see where everyone is running.

THIS!!!
It’s pretty easy to see where everyone is running.

With the weather this year I would stick to my map...

In Bergland watch for rocks as you enter the park from the shore line... stay to the east as you are coming up to the Hoop... I never venture further south then the lodge... all four Blue spots I marked lead to trail access... Hopefully this helps :)
98505435-03CB-427A-95C8-BC4291D6D54F.jpeg

This is excellent guys. I didn’t realize there was another river entering by the Hoop so I probably would have been trying to hug the west shore all the way around between the Lodge and the Park. Now I know not to do that.

BTW, I should have mentioned that I’m not planning to be there until the first weekend of Mar. so hopefully we have plenty of cold weather between now and then.

Not sure I’d hug either shore... this is why...

https://www.uppermichiganssource.co...bile-accident-on-Lake-Gogebic--503554351.html

Riding at dark can lead to limited visibly... Mix in alcohol and you can end up with deadly results!!!

I’m not sure if alcohol was involved but time of accident was 2:31 AM... Either way she was probably not familiar with the area being from out of state... Now her family is left with the grief and remorse to suffer... She was someone’s daughter and probably someone’s wife and mother!!!

PLEASE PLEASE Ride SAFE!!!!
Know your limitations and be aware of your environment!!!!

Back