• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Last year of the Apex - "share your Apex memories"

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
2018 is the final year for the Apex and it's only available on the Spring Power Surge order program. Get to your local dealer and order one up. Lets post any fond memorizes and photos of you and your Apex.

ape1.jpg

ape2.jpg

Ape3.jpg

Ape4.jpg

ape5.jpg

ape6.jpg

ape7.jpg

Apee8.jpg

ape9.jpg

My Apex was a craigslist special that finally allowed me financially to get into a boosted 4 stroke which was my goal since I first saw them with the RX1. It had two transformations since my ownership and undergoing a 3rd now. The biggest memory of this sled is the reliability of it. I still to this day cannot find a sled that will run 250hp on 91 gas, for a entire winter without ever having to check it. My plan was and still is work on it in off season and ride the wee out of it the entire season. The sidewinder may be the next sled that could do that but it will never be a boosted 4 banger. First iteration:
sleddone3.jpg

The infamous marble apex and its current state:

The sled really won me over when I had a 1100T hyjacked running 275hp in race fuel. We raced on the ice informally with my sled set up just as I ride it on the trails. Expecting to get my rear handed to me, instead the old girl flew past the 1100T at 60mph like it was standing still and I let off as I approached the marker and had him beat by 30-40 sled lengths. To have something this fast and this reliable is never heard of and probably wont happen again for a long long time. Long live the Apex!!

20170405_101334.jpg

My Dad (Marty) and favorite riding partner bought an '06 Apex RTX when they first came out. I thought it was the most awesome and bad #*$&@ looking sled I had ever seen! To this day I still think it has the best looking color scheme. Unfortunately, he had to give up sledding due to back issues. I purchased it from him, upgrading from a RX-1. While exciting to have the sled, it was disappointing to lose my riding partner. He enjoyed hearing about my rides thereafter. His health issues eventually took his life unfortunately.
I had been waiting for the Apex replacement the past few years, only to be disappointed time and again. Hoping that sweet 4 cyl would get put in a different chassis. Then comes the Sidewinder. I fell in love the thought of the stout HP in a better chassis. I bought one last Spring, but I couldn't get rid of of my beloved Apex. Too much sentimental value. I only rode it on and off the trailer this year, but the young one did get on it for a ride once this year. He still refers to it as "Marty's sled." Many great memories and great times. He lives on with this sled and I still get to have him ride along.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you not like this !!!!
178 HP at the track translates to 321 HP at the crank according to Allen Ulmer.
Change the oil & belt once a year, add gas & go.

I was going to order an 2018 Apex Anniversary but took my back up 2013 SE out the last 2 weekends & decided I'd be crazy to sell it with only 3,000 miles on the clock. Not sure about the new rear suspension vs the Mono 2 either.
Going to order a RTX LE Sidewinder & keep the 2 Apex's.

The green line is the same sled with PC V & Air Box mod before the Turbo was installed.

Attachments

• 15psi.jpg
    15psi.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 295
My Apex was a craigslist special that finally allowed me financially to get into a boosted 4 stroke which was my goal since I first saw them with the RX1. It had two transformations since my ownership and undergoing a 3rd now. The biggest memory of this sled is the reliability of it. I still to this day cannot find a sled that will run 250hp on 91 gas, for a entire winter without ever having to check it. My plan was and still is work on it in off season and ride the wee out of it the entire season. The sidewinder may be the next sled that could do that but it will never be a boosted 4 banger. First iteration:
sleddone3.jpg

The infamous marble apex and its current state:

The sled really won me over when I had a 1100T hyjacked running 275hp in race fuel. We raced on the ice informally with my sled set up just as I ride it on the trails. Expecting to get my rear handed to me, instead the old girl flew past the 1100T at 60mph like it was standing still and I let off as I approached the marker and had him beat by 30-40 sled lengths. To have something this fast and this reliable is never heard of and probably wont happen again for a long long time. Long live the Apex!!
My favorite, coolest looking paint scheme!!! White with splattered paint?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

One weekend in winter 2007 I went to camp with my wife, sister in law and bro in law. He had an 06 rtx he bought from Big moose Yamaha. It was the shootout winner in 06. We quickly figured out that I could not ride with the wife on the back of my 97 polaris classic. Ed, my bro in law offered to ride mine and let me ride his with the wife on the back. I FELL IN LOVE WITH HIS APEX. We put about 150 miles on that weekend and it was awesome! The following October I found my baby. In Aug of 08 I bought a used 06 ER for $5500 with 2250 mi. I finished this season with 11904 miles total never touched the engine or clutches (except for cleaning). Last ride of the season I had her up to 108 mph on north rd on the Tug hill plateau. Still way fast enough for me. I still get people asking about it. They can't believe it when I tell them it's 12 yrs old. My buddies. on their newer sleds, can't keep up. I have a reputation among my riding buddies for never breaking down. Thank you Yamaha. Sorry to see the best sled ever made go.

d20b63ba6895cf6fc490d8884540fb3f.jpg

922b714538d654ffd4139528e1fff390.jpg

83bfbdc135eeca1159e11e8a443888ce.jpg
930c6443b2895f69d856dd7cba886e78.jpg
32a4b0c880bef5683e83323b30168c3c.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Back