• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lets talk Aluminum bolts

I love alllllllll the people telling you what to do with your gear...

IMHO, your logically placing them in appropriate places...

There is NO doubt a load on the bolts, but the key is is the 7075 capable of handling the load over sustained period...

Keeping it on topic....I would order two sets at the same time, as Aluminum (as you know but stating for others) does not carry as good an an endurance strength as steel...so after time, you would be wise to replace them before failure...However, that endurance will will not (probably) be pushed to limits on the location(s) you are using them....

good ideas (IMHO)

lots of naysayers, who dont understand every ounce matters on a mountain sled...

Wouldn't the aluminum bolts also be more susceptible to heat compared to steel? Therefor yes at cold temperatures it is only x times weaker than steel but what if you put it on engine parts? The metal must weaken much faster than steel! I wouldn't risk it. However bolts that hold things on such as speedometer, plastics, possibly some electrical parts would be a better bet. Someone mentioned ski loops i wouldnt worry as much with that. Pretty much what i am thinking is any thing holding on a plastic part should work fine since that area isn't getting much strain, hence why it is made out of plastic.

You really think Yamaha put steel bolts everywhere because they needed the strength? They are fractions of the cost vs what Nikolai is looking at.

7075 is a very strong material, and would suit what your doing very well a long as you stay away from the suspension pieces.

My opinion on if they are worth it or not isn't important, I am a engineer and I can tell you the aluminum will be strong enough for your application.

So 4 years later I'm bringing this thread back to life. I did end up ordering a bunch of aluminum bolts to use in different locations, but I want to specifically discuss the motor.

I've got my engine sitting in the stand on the workbench and I want to order some aluminum bolts for it. For parts like the crankcase cover and oil pan that don't see a load, structurally I think 7075 would be fine.

I'm concerned if the engine heat would be high enough to expand the aluminum bolts and cause the part to lose its seal.

Any thoughts? Would heat be a non issue?

I'll post some pictures later of where I want to run the aluminum bolts.

Here's the ones I'm thinking...

Crankcase cover

Water pump (Allen head & Phillips both)

The M8 starter bolts

The 6 Allen heads in the oil cooler and coolant pipe to its left

This one

And of course the oil pan.

Locktite is a must for aluminum hardware. That said your going into and through aluminum so it may all contract and expand evenly. Either way I would stock up on both blue and red :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back