• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Love my Apex

Heritage

Expert
I have been debating for months wether or not to trade my apex in on a viper....which in my opinion is a better handling, better riding machine...the question always becomes...can my ego handle going to a 600 class machine...as I get older...I keep telling my self I don't need the hp or speed anymore...I believe you should be honest with yourself, about how you actually ride....however....this weekend proved me wrong...a group of friends and I rode through northern Wisconsin and the western u.p....for 4 days...a real mixed bag of trails...from snirty icy trails...to fresh powder....the apex did all of it well...the eps is great...what really has me re-thinking everything...is when we got into some loose snow...the vipers slowed way down...the guys were pinning them to get 75 to 80 on a railroad grade...It was no different for the 600s in the group..it was like they were in quick sand...the apex though, just pulled through it...same with the 1200 doo....we both could easily hit 90 in the same conditions ....that loose, sloppy snow...and both 4 strokes held their line better....that doo 1200 has a very nice ride, handles well....and he got better mileage than me (13.5 to 16.5)
But everybody's fuel economy dropped in those condition.
I gotta admit...old and outdated or not the apex can hold its ground with just about anything...it may not be the best at any one thing...but it does everything well....after this weekend...I'm not sure the viper is right for me....I hope yamaha puts this engine in a new chassis...while I really like the yamacats...this apex puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it....may have to keep it for awhile.

Sidewinder. Does it all, better. Set suspension properly and get some real skis and you don't need power steering. Have owned delta box sleds, two vipers and now Sidewinder , it is the real deal.

Sorry, my bad. Didn't realize this was about "needs", but if you "want" to smile or even laugh out loud. Try a Sidewinder, you won't regret it.
t

"

Sorry, my bad. Didn't realize this was about "needs", but if you "want" to smile or even laugh out loud. Try a Sidewinder, you won't regret it.
t

"
Oh...I'd love a sidewinder...but the 4 cylinder just has something special about it...I can't imagine how good it would be in a procross chassis....and for us old guys add eps...and you'd have a pretty awesome touring sled..imo

I have been debating for months wether or not to trade my apex in on a viper....which in my opinion is a better handling, better riding machine...the question always becomes...can my ego handle going to a 600 class machine...as I get older...I keep telling my self I don't need the hp or speed anymore...I believe you should be honest with yourself, about how you actually ride....however....this weekend proved me wrong...a group of friends and I rode through northern Wisconsin and the western u.p....for 4 days...a real mixed bag of trails...from snirty icy trails...to fresh powder....the apex did all of it well...the eps is great...what really has me re-thinking everything...is when we got into some loose snow...the vipers slowed way down...the guys were pinning them to get 75 to 80 on a railroad grade...It was no different for the 600s in the group..it was like they were in quick sand...the apex though, just pulled through it...same with the 1200 doo....we both could easily hit 90 in the same conditions ....that loose, sloppy snow...and both 4 strokes held their line better....that doo 1200 has a very nice ride, handles well....and he got better mileage than me (13.5 to 16.5)
But everybody's fuel economy dropped in those condition.
I gotta admit...old and outdated or not the apex can hold its ground with just about anything...it may not be the best at any one thing...but it does everything well....after this weekend...I'm not sure the viper is right for me....I hope yamaha puts this engine in a new chassis...while I really like the yamacats...this apex puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it....may have to keep it for awhile.

Honestly. If you are already thinking like this, you will absolutely be disapointed.
I understand exactly where you are at, because i also own an apex and had these thoughts before buying my viper.
For the past 3 years i have had a heavy duty case of buyers remorse.
While the viper is a great trail sled, you Will absolutely miss that apex power.
My suggestion would be look at the sidewinder.
You get the best of both worlds. More power than an apex and everything the viper has with the bonus of easy panel removal and a ton of refinement.
While i am slowly getting used to my viper, wish i would have waited for a sidewinder.

Sidebinder! , sorry had too.:jump: if 2018 doesn't bring a new 4 holer, i will resort too a Sidebinder:moon::bash:, i mean Sidewinder.:Rockon::Rules:

You will miss the Apex xtx 4 holer unless you go SW but then you will miss EPS. I thought the SW was a great sled but a load to steer. The Viper you will miss both EPS and the 165 HP so SW is your focus if you can do without EPS...I can't do without EPS but put EPS in SW and you have the ultimate sled...imo. SW trail power was aok didn't miss the 4 holer at all but admitt 200 hp is more than I need for trail riding but 130 not nearly enough coming off an Apex. Who knows what Yamaha will release for 2018 but really no place to go with big dogs unless they use their EPS tech on SW or a new Model. I could be happy with a EPS SW but big $$ new.....maybe used in a few years if EPS is used otherwise my Apex XTX is a fine ride for near future.

You will miss the Apex xtx 4 holer unless you go SW but then you will miss EPS. I thought the SW was a great sled but a load to steer. The Viper you will miss both EPS and the 165 HP so SW is your focus if you can do without EPS...I can't do without EPS but put EPS in SW and you have the ultimate sled...imo. SW trail power was aok didn't miss the 4 holer at all but admitt 200 hp is more than I need for trail riding but 130 not nearly enough coming off an Apex. Who knows what Yamaha will release for 2018 but really no place to go with big dogs unless they use their EPS tech on SW or a new Model. I could be happy with a EPS SW but big $$ new.....maybe used in a few years if EPS is used otherwise my Apex XTX is a fine ride for near future.
X2.....I agree....the ride, and a few of the amenities of the viper interest me (heated seat etc).....it just isn't enough to make me switch....what makes you appreciate the apex more is the u.p. trails....on a couple of railroad grades with fresh powder (about 5 to 6 inches of loose snow)...the apex shines...it just pulls through it like a freight train...and keeps going...i could easily run 90, or higher, while the vipers were struggling to hit 80 in the same conditions (as were the other 600s in our group).....if I only ran the tight wooded trails in northern Wisconsin...then my decision would be easier....the eps on the apex definitely works well in the tight wooded areas...but it's still a heavy sled and while the skid is ok...it's not great...but this engine is so addictive, and so hard to give up once you have it...I am in the same boat you are...the sidewinder is too much, and the viper is not enough...put this motor in a new chassis, with a better skid, and that will be my next sled...heck...put it in the sidewinder chassis with ycct, eps, chassis dampened, and QS3 shocks...and I'll buy one tomorrow....btw...I just read a review online of the 2016 vector xtx...people forget yamaha updated that motor (and no...it's not the same as the viper motor)...and it stomps the viper in repeated drag races...pulls away everytime after 80 mph....I found that very interesting...imo...the viper should/could be so much more with that engine....it's kinda disappointing.

Sidewinder. Does it all, better. Set suspension properly and get some real skis and you don't need power steering. Have owned delta box sleds, two vipers and now Sidewinder , it is the real deal.

Now that is a matter of opinion. Still love the Delta Box II and EPS, Cat does not interest me in a Turbo or NA. 2011 Apex XTX now that is the real deal!

Now that is a matter of opinion. Still love the Delta Box II and EPS, Cat does not interest me in a Turbo or NA. 2011 Apex XTX now that is the real deal!

We are lucky that we have so many choices. I don't feel the need to bash one sled over the other. I just analyze each machine for what it offers and for what it doesn't. There are many things about the sidewinder I personally don't like. And the few things that I do like about it aren't enough to make me want one. The Apex has only one issue that nags me. The calibration of the suspension. That is easy to alter. Heck, for what you can pay to bring home an Apex, you could buy an M20 Air, Air Assult (or some other) shocks, and a WRP seat ! I would also widen the front end for my style of riding. There's my perfect sled. So many choices. We're so lucky....until the choices disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, I hear you. I LOVE that APEX motor but after riding with Vipes and Winders I started to HATE the chassis on the Apex. I'm 6'3" and weigh about 265lbs. The Apex just doesn't "fit" me. I traded my Apex and son's Phazer in last week and just bought a 2016 Viper LTX-DX which I will finish the season riding and then hand over to my 15 year old son. The dilemma I am facing is to go Sidewinder or another Viper or another APEX (still haven't ridden newer than 2008 Apex). Either way I want a 50th anniversary something for myself.

I will say this....my buddies 2017 Sidewinder LTX-SE with QS3's is probably the fastest, smoothest, quietest sled I have ever ridden. The ONLY thing I don't like is the range. We ride Quebec and Ontario big trails where some stretches go 120 miles+. Sidewinder can't do it. Need to think about gas everytime. Spare tank on back is only option.

Back