• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

low compresion center cylinder

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I have a chance to buy an 06 Vector. The center cylinder is down to 140 psi vs. the outside cylinders at 180 psi. When the cam chain jumps due to a faulty tensioner is it possible that the valves DONT hit the pistons? Maybe valve timing is just off? Bent valve? The owner was told it needs a new engine. I am trying to hedge my bets because I don't NEED this sled!!!! It just seems to good to pass up if I can reset valve timing and update the tensioner.

Negative... they hit. The head is coming off that engine for valves , guides, & seals.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

OK, thanks for the insight.

OK, thanks for the insight.
That is if the tensioner is the problem. At 140 psi, it's still making OK compression, like a valve is just barely off the seat.

How many miles are on this sled??

Either way the head is coming off to see what's up, but it might not be bad at all.

IMO... if you can score it for under $1000 if the rest of the sled is nice, it might be worth it...

I can get it for $700 to $800. I would like to get it for a project but have 3 already and am trying to SELL the Blade.
The problem seemed to appear over the summer. Maybe some thing is holding the valve open

One way to tell. Pull the valve cover, pull the plugs out, pull the timing plug out on the crankcase, stick a wire into #1 plug hole & rotate the engine til #1 is at TDC & the crank timing marks line up & check out the cam sprockets timing arrows. If they aren't perfectly aligned, or at least VERY close, the tensioner failed & it jumped.

Otherwise, a hung valve is always possible on a 4 stroke. Things happen.

Back