• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Low-tow trailer

OVR4D

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I've been looking for a low profile enclosed trailer, similar to a low-profile motorcycle trailer, but would love the benefits of extra height when needed. I came across this video
and have been trying to find more information about the company that makes them. Short of calling the dealer who posted the video, I've only been able to find a link to a website, which doesn't seem to work. Anyone know if this company is still in business?

Gone, they were a custom trailer manf in CT and they folded 4 years ago.

It a telescoping top or Hi-Lo kind of trailer. Certainly intriguing, but I couldn't find anyone else who makes one currently. Basically a bottom utility trailer with sides, a fabric gasket, and a topper with sides that come down. Probably 8 jacks interconnected to a central crank to raise and lower the topper.

I don't think the top is being raised or lowered with jacks. In the video (at about 3.45) you can see what looks to me like 4 linear actuators. It looks like that's what is being used to raise and lower the top half of the trailer. I don't know much about linear actuators, but I thought they needed current (in this case 12V) to hold their position. If that's true, I wonder what keeps the top half of the trailer from slowly lowering when power to the actuators is cut off.

Anyway ... like you point out, no one else is building something like this now. At this point, I'm leaning toward an R&R or an Intech trailer. Both makers will custom build, but R&R is probably the best bang for the buck. InTech has got to be one of the best makers as far as fit and finish is concerned, but they're a bit pricey (like Triton trailer money, but the quality of the InTech is far and away superior). Still don't know which way I'll go, but would like to have something before the snow flies.

Linears are a smart idea since they also send location feedback to the controller to monitor that the lid is going up evenly. Its more costly to do 4 or 8 actuators than wire rope jacks but I guess that's all figured into the price of such a custom trailer. Since the linear actuator is a jack screw more or less once it cranks up it has a certain amount of reverse inhibiting due to the angle of the screw and friction. You can also "lock" the screw by switching the polarity back and forth to maintain a certain position, many controllers have that function built in if they see the screw begin to turn back (i.e. the load is greater than the motor brake force and friction of the jack screw). I've only used small ones from Firgelli for projects at work, they work great.

My buddy has a custom 4-5 place one done by ProLine (out of New Hampshire), not cheap but damn is it built nice. Solid, excellent aluminum welds, interior panels/ seams fit together- good attention to detail work.

http://www.nhtrailers.com/index.htm

Back