• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More Boosted Viper Issues

check the temp wire at the thermostat housing they come off easy.

Was just in Wakefield today. Snow is pretty beat up and bumpy. Seemed like it was warm recently, there's about a 1/2" or hard crust/ice on top. Trails were getting icy in the corners. And the bumps were turning into moguls.. busy busy out there.

Check coolant temp sensor, if it reads too cold it will think the engine is cold and limit rpm. Could also cause engine to flood out on a cold start.

Yamadog how's the snow in Hurley?

Snow was beat but I was fast, The XTX is now a weapon to be recognized.

Hurley and down is ok and they are grooming 24/7 North of Ironwood 2 of the 3 groomers are still down so from the Hoop up is rough.

Thanks guys I will tear down tomorrow and check thermostat wire it never did that again and put 500 miles on it (WTF) I only ran it on 9#'s cause it is making so much more hp now it was banging off the rev limiter at 9 and it was so fast that a blip of the throttle at 40 and up was pulling the front 12" cause the snow was so tight.

Hey yamadog, my boosted viper started doing the same thing last night. The Coolant temp was all over the place and would almost throw me over when it get a low temp condition. Just wondering if you or anyone has found the issue?

Having read several threads on this I've seen comments by Turtle that his temp sensor went bad causing erratic temps. Yamadog has had more than his fair share of head gasket issues, but these typically cause high temp spikes.

Hey yamadog, my boosted viper started doing the same thing last night. The Coolant temp was all over the place and would almost throw me over when it get a low temp condition. Just wondering if you or anyone has found the issue?

Well on that sled no it never did it again but if you go to 5:39 of the video you can see the temp warning light flashing. I cannot see it when I was riding hard cause it only flashes. If you look at the temp bar through the video it never is past 3/4 and when I parked and shut it off it was 172 deg F. That sled was worked on so much that year and the hood was off probably 30 times or so. I had written it off to the wire being bumped or pinched but who knows?

That sled has been in Ulmer's shop for almost 2 yrs now so I have not ridden it since the end of the 15 season. After this ride I bought a 15 XTX which I moved all of the turbo parts over into and gave Allen the 14 to turn into a D&D fx-1100 killer with a goal of 350 + hp for drag racing and lake fun. he has never finished the project to this day and I am still waiting to unleash that beast.

The 15 came with its own set of problems which culminated in the blowing a head gasket last ride of last year and taking almost the whole season to get rectified this year. When that happened it was like the 14 issue and just shut off and then limped it home. after it would cool for 5 minutes it was drawing the fluid back into the system and run fine so I thought it was the same issue and if you rode it like a school girl you could ride all day but get on it even with only 7#'s of boost and it would push just enough coolant out to lose cooling and shut down. Because the overflow is very hard to see and see through I put a sharpie mark on it at normal fluid level and then beat it till it shut down and immediately checked the mark. it was only about 1/2" more fluid in the bottle but without any reference marks you cannot see it. And after just a few minutes it goes right back into the system.

I will tell you that when the 14 did it back 2 yrs ago I checked with Allen and he told me there had been more than a few 14's that the wire to the censor plug-ins were rubbing and shorting out.

Back