• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MX Chest Protector vs Tekvest

Bakemono

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Website
www.myspace.com
Im seriously considering some kind of body armor. Im often the lead sled in my group and that sort makes me the "sacraficial lamb", especially when it comes to oncoming sleds that dont know how to stay on their own side of the trails.
My brother has a Tekvest and its nice, but man oh man was it expensive. He has the top of the line one with all the chrome on it.
I know I could get a MX chest protector for less than $100. It wont keep my as warm as the Tekvest and doesnt have all the kevlar, but do you think it would work OK for protection?
I want to have fun out on the trails, but I also want to offer myself the best chance of surviving and living to ride another day should the worst happen. At the same time, Im young, single and on a budget; so if I can save a little money and still be safe Id like to do that as well.
Anways, lemmie know what you guys think. Will a MX chest protector work out OK or do I need to bite the bullet and splurge on a Tekvest?
Thanks in advance.

No Prob. I will say though that Medium may be misleading with the way they run. I am 6' 1" and about 208 without gear. Just keep that in mind as you shop...Good Luck!

Octane, you gotta ask yourself if your life is worth an extra $200 USD for the Tek Vest. I know I did for this season. ;)!

Grey_Freestyle_front.jpg

I agree, Swiss Sledder. Ive got a Thor Aftershock chest protector that I wore this summer when I raced MX on my quad and its not even in the same league as a TekVest.
The Thor chest protector is more for protection from roost and isnt anywhere near as ridgid as the TekVest my brother has.

I just might do that. Ive seen the Polaris ones and the Ski-Doo ones (same as Tek-Vest SuperSport, just has Doo or Poo logos on it), never saw a Yamaha one though.

The guys that make those BRAAP films swear by the Tek-Vests.

Whatever you decide, make a deal with yourself to not ride until you get one. They are like a seat belt. Some people don't really want/or feel the need to wear them until they are in a crash.

Swiss Sledder said:
Octane, you gotta ask yourself if your life is worth an extra $200 USD for the Tek Vest. I know I did for this season. ;)!

Grey_Freestyle_front.jpg

That's the exact one I bought. You honestly dont even know it's on. Now I wouldn't ride without it! They have quite a bit of adjustability. Probably one size worth.

I always wear my TechVest when riding. It feels safe wearing it, and it helps keeping me warm on those -25C days.

Back